Emergency Services Forum
NAS Helmets - Printable Version

+- Emergency Services Forum (http://esforum.org)
+-- Forum: Open zone (http://esforum.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask an expert (http://esforum.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: NAS Helmets (/showthread.php?tid=10673)

Pages: 1 2

NAS Helmets - echo59 - 07-02-2018

Where in God's name did these NAS helmets come from???

[Image: limerickBusCrashFeb18Press22b_large.jpg]

From breakingnews.ie.

RE: NAS Helmets - Command Support - 07-02-2018

Bullard Magmas. I remember trialling one Many moons ago. As odd as they look, they are actually comfortable.

Are NAS lids issued or just generic thrown into an ambo?

RE: NAS Helmets - Brigade - 07-02-2018

That helmet actually won a contract with a UK brigade until someone in authority just said no.
It’s just waaaay to ugly...

RE: NAS Helmets - Ballast - 08-02-2018

It looks fucking horrible!

RE: NAS Helmets - The Gap - 08-02-2018

DFB eliminated them after Bullard supplied a video from their test showing them still alight 20 secs after the flame engulfment test was finished. A firefighter helmet that kept on burning.

RE: NAS Helmets - coastguardsteve - 08-02-2018

Helmets are issued when you join the service, there are multiple types in circulation, the one i have is different again.
How often should they be replaced?
Shame they didnt tie their chin straps 🙈

RE: NAS Helmets - The Gap - 08-02-2018

How long is a piece of string? Obvious damage to or cracking of the outer shell is generally enough to write them off. After wear and tear, UV degredation is the biggest enemy of any PPE.

RE: NAS Helmets - MRX - 08-02-2018

I'm such an old fogey I have one of those old style helmets, akin to an old style Cromwell type the Fire Service had....

RE: NAS Helmets - coastguardsteve - 08-02-2018

But that's sort of my point, if i understand correctly, manufacturers will only stand over impact worthyness for a certain time period? In my mind its 10 years, so no helmet should be in service thats over 10y in service? Is there H&S advice for helmets?

NAS Helmets - Actual Paramedic - 08-02-2018

Think i am on my 4th type of helmet since joining and in that time there has been other models I did not receive. I don’t have the latest model as in the pics nor wish to have

Helmets are personal issue but seldom used in reality, probably should be worn more often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: NAS Helmets - civdef - 08-02-2018

We've recently started switching over to the Rosenbauer Titan, the manual says this:

Quote:2.6 Retirement criteria Your fire department or employer must determine whether or not your protective helmet assembly is ready for retirement and replacement. The service life of this protective helmet will vary depending upon how much it has been used and how well it has been cleaned and maintained. If you are unsure whether your protective helmet should be retired, do NOT use it. Unless the responsible authority determines that your protective helmet is ready for retirement earlier, the over all service life of this protective helmet shall not exceed a total period of 15 years.

https://www.rosenbauer.com/fileadmin/sharepoint/products/equipment/helmets/docs/VWI_HEROS-titan_AS__Australien__EN.pdf

RE: NAS Helmets - Brigade - 08-02-2018

We currently send off helmets every three years for a full service by the manufacturers agent who certify for use. We can’t kill the fucking things.
Mind you they are Gallets and hated by everyone from firefighter to CFO and thankfully like Civdef, we are changing to Rosenbauer Titan.

https://www.bullard.com/uploads/bullard_downloads/FH_MAGMA_USERMANUAL_GMBH_ENDE_LOW_6029009296.pdf

Product details as above with pics of the lifetime issue

[Image: 86d1ebb5b257bedb692d06c7c2c7b4a3.jpg]

Only one image per post so here the second image
[Image: ea96c9cbf5a0ccdb9301b814bf692dae.jpg]

RE: NAS Helmets - Blackbolt - 09-02-2018

I am obviously in the minority here but I quite like the Gallet especially the new F1 XF , they are light, fit well, have a great adjustment on the interior goggles and the face shield covers well. They do however need to have the built in torches pointed more forward rather than on the ground two feet in front of you.

http://gb.msasafety.com/Head-Protection/Fire/Helmets/Gallet-F1-XF-and-Accessories/p/000360008000001001

A few SOs down here have the Rosenbauer Titan on trial and it is getting mixed reviews.

I have to old style Gallet but am on the list for when new white F1s come in.

RE: NAS Helmets - The Gap - 09-02-2018

No problems with The Gallet F1XF. The torch is designed to light the path in front of you, not blind the person you're looking at.

RE: NAS Helmets - Brigade - 09-02-2018

The new one is an improvement, but it wouldn’t be hard. The original Gallet was terrible, too fiddly to adjust, the visor was useless unless you were born without a nose, it really impacted your ability to hear and they had two shell sizes which made it expensive to stock.
I think everyone has personal preferences regarding helmets but to be honest that’s the first time I’ve ever heard of people not liking the Titan.
I used the Rosenbauer Heros before the a Titan and that was an excellent helmet, and a great replacement for the Cromwell F600, but the Titan is much improved again.
We tested the new Gallet vs the Titan for weeks and no one chose the Gallet.
Mind you, they detested the older Gallet so much, it was on a looser from the start.

Maybe we should all just go back to cork helmets.
Many a long night was passed throwing darts at the crest in the front of them.

RE: NAS Helmets - Blackbolt - 12-02-2018

(09-02-2018, 07:35 PM)The Gap Wrote: No problems with The Gallet F1XF. The torch is designed to light the path in front of you, not blind the person you're looking at.

The problem arises when fighting gorse when you need to see ten feet in front of you to plan your route so you don walk into a bog hole 59

RE: NAS Helmets - Paulzx - 13-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 11:14 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:
(09-02-2018, 07:35 PM)The Gap Wrote: No problems with The Gallet F1XF. The torch is designed to light the path in front of you, not blind the person you're looking at.

The problem arises when fighting gorse when you need to see ten feet in front of you to plan your route so you don walk into a bog hole

Some of us have more sense than to be walking around in Gorse in the dark  106

NAS Helmets - Scuba - 13-02-2018

Do ye DFB boys just carry your fire helmet on the ambulance or do ye have to wear a different one for the role? I assume it's the first one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk