This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

What personal use first aid kit do you use ?
Hey all, 

Looking for people's preference as to what kind of kit they carry in the boot of their own car  (personal kits not work kits) if any? 

Do folks like the fancy bells and whistles of ready packed kits?  Or are we more about custom filling an old school bag ? 

I understand that each person will carry something different to match their qualifications and circumstances so let's focus more on the bag rather than the contents. 

Any and all input welcome
I'm a paramedic,  all I carry is a high vis jacket,  some dressings, triangle bandages, OPAs  a face mask and a foil blanket, all in a small bag that fits in the wheel well of the boot.  You should be able to deal with most things with that....  Oh and not forgetting my healing hands....
I carry my phone and dial 112

Sent using Tapatalk from my Totem Pole and Apache Axe
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
I'm getting this one

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-06-2016, 11:10 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: I carry my phone and dial 112

Surely you have at least a box of sticky plasters in the glove box ??

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
An ordinary car first aid kit and a pocket mask.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Being a vol. The kitbag i use on duty lives in the boot.

Since as I use it on duty fairly regularly smartest place to have it.

Nothing too fancy. Dressings, triangulars, ice packs and my diagnostic stuff.....if theyre sick enough to warrant anything more then they need an ambulance or a hospital

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(05-06-2016, 11:25 PM)Eighttoamile Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 11:10 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: I carry my phone and dial 112

Surely you have at least a box of sticky plasters in the glove box ??

Actually no, sometimes have the bag from work in the car in case of OT elsewhere but generally no.
Always have a vent aid on my key ring, after that will make do with what I can find, grab from others

my garage gave me a free first aid kit with 40 euro petrol, having never opened it I am unsure whats included

have a vent aid in the glove box however the one time I needed it, I didnt think to grab it until afterwards
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Very interesting to see that the people who are trained and should know best choose the minimalist approach and I have personally seen close to full PARA bags in the back of some 'joe soaps' cars
9/10 you can manage patients with the bare basics. Triangulars, dressings, gloves and a barrier device

What else are you going to carry...just incase....airways....vacuum splints....a collar and board

When you're off duty you do basic first aid until crews arrive.

JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Completely agree I carry a dry bag with dressing, triangulars, gloves, shears, space blankets and a barrier. But there is always that voice in the back of your head saying "what if I need this and don't have it ?"
Keeping it to ABCs should be enough until the cavalry arrive.

I have a bag that I use on duty with vol and at work, have had need to use it a few times. Just the basic stuff im it with my sphygmomanometer, steth and a finger spo2 that o got years ago for half nothing
Justv a basic kit to cover ABCs plus a few plasters and the obs kit. Oh and a notepad. Fits into a small 15l backpack
(06-06-2016, 12:14 PM)Eighttoamile Wrote: Very interesting to see that the people who are trained and should know best choose the minimalist approach and I have personally seen close to full PARA bags in the back of some 'joe soaps' cars

Wouldn't berate anyone for carrying a bag and a decent range of equipment but as you say some are close to carrying spinal boards and suction units. Others feel they can't operate unless they have a cardiac monitor.

(06-06-2016, 11:04 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 12:14 PM)Eighttoamile Wrote: Very interesting to see that the people who are trained and should know best choose the minimalist approach and I have personally seen close to full PARA bags in the back of some 'joe soaps' cars

Wouldn't berate anyone for carrying a bag and a decent range of equipment but as you say some are close to carrying spinal boards and suction units. Others feel they can't operate unless they have a cardiac monitor.

Its definitly a case of each to their own when it comes to personal kit but my personal opion is that less is more in this instance. No need to be falling over the spinal board when looking for a pair of gloves

(06-06-2016, 11:51 PM)Eighttoamile Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 11:04 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote:

Its definitly a case of each to their own when it comes to personal kit but my personal opion is that less is more in this instance. No need to be falling over the spinal board when looking for a pair of gloves

Theres also the cost factor

Anything sterile you're going to be looking at replacing every couple of years. Thatll add up fairly quick

JUST CALL ME PROBIE
The longer you are in the job the less you carry. When I stared first I could deal with a plane crash but now I don't think I could deal with a bleeding finger.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
AED, box of gloves and tetra always in the car, sometimes full ALS & PPE etc depending on shifts but usually that's all dumped at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patients don't suddenly die, it just seems that way when you stop paying attention!

Funny one.......I'm in work and one of the lads was asked to make up a kit for a fella who has an event, so he brought in a box he had at home and thrown in a shed. He obviously made up the kit when he started first.....GTN out of date SIXTEEN years.....same as the Hypostop. We all think we're going to save the world when we start first but it rarely happens.  19
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.