This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Split in suicide prevention patrol group in limerick
(16-06-2016, 01:19 PM)Command Support Wrote: Would people not go away and join the Civil Defence, Red Cross or Coastguard or the likes if they are so concerned about assisting people?! It's an area that is screaming out for regulation.

Because OMAC, CD, IRC, SJAC and the Coastguard have proper standards & governance at national level. They have met external guidelines/regulation from PHECC, Charities Act, Gov. Depts etc. and won't tolerate the Walters (that's no fun for the shiny jacket brigade!) 

By the way, there is another group in West Limerick who offer a mobile crisis suicide service advertised through a mobile number.
@ Vidar, check out the video on that mud rescue crowds page. It stars your old friend  148
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
ya spotted that already 148
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(17-06-2016, 12:22 PM)vidar Wrote: ya spotted that already 148

Looks like a real meeting of minds  44
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Mud Rescue? Do many people need to be "rescued" from the mud, to warrant the existence of such a group?
A few pics of cg in their page which is strange. They wouldn't train with them unless they're declared asset or there's signed agreement n place.

Mud thing must be attempt to try get funding from airport in case aircraft in estuary. Didn't see any mud rescue techniques or equipment on their page. Looks like another sar hobby club.
Apparently this crowd are also splinter group having parted company with another Mud Rescue group in the region, and are in the words of someone in the know, utter flakes.
Hard to credit that there's so many people getting trapped in mud in the area.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
It's the mud that needs to be rescued.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(10-06-2016, 04:39 PM)ERU Wrote: So basically the Corbett's set this up, put their name in for no good reason other than self piblicity but when they didn't get their way they took their public donated ball home in a huff?

Shows where their priorities are. Their name, their club. Stopping suicide? A handy excuse.

Also wonder where the money for such stupid legal actions came from

Just to clear that one up. The group was founded by Trevor Corbett (without the Corbett name) and from what I knew of him in the brief time I did know him (not through the group), he set it up with the best of intentions and with a good heart. He was someone who had a very interesting background having worked for the United Nations in Kosovo in body recovery. (Article here which gives a bit of background Link to Examiner Article )  Unfortunately, while he did his best to save others, he couldn't save himself. After his death, his family continued the running of the group and it was renamed to include the Corbett name in his memory. What happened after that, according to the various FB posts etc is what ends up happening to so many voluntaries unfortunately by the sounds of it (egos, control, money take your pick).  Just as a note, I have no ties at all to the group, just giving the info from knowing him a few years ago.

Also just to point out for other posters (quoting mid text is challenging :-) ), while I'm not sure if I agree with these kind of patrol groups, CG, CD, IRC etc etc don't do what these groups do, same as in Wexford with the nightly patrols. So maybe there is a gap there for that kind of work or not. I don't really know but it's not a simple thing of just going out and joining those other groups, (absolutely though for casualty, SAR etc) some people are driven to try and prevent rather than find after the fact.
(24-06-2016, 10:31 AM)carav Wrote: Just to clear that one up. The group was founded by Trevor Corbett (without the Corbett name) and from what I knew of him in the brief time I did know him (not through the group), he set it up with the best of intentions and with a good heart. He was someone who had a very interesting background having worked for the United Nations in Kosovo in body recovery. (Article here which gives a bit of background Link to Examiner Article )  Unfortunately, while he did his best to save others, he couldn't save himself. After his death, his family continued the running of the group and it was renamed to include the Corbett name in his memory. What happened after that, according to the various FB posts etc is what ends up happening to so many voluntaries unfortunately by the sounds of it (egos, control, money take your pick).  Just as a note, I have no ties at all to the group, just giving the info from knowing him a few years ago.
Thanks for clearing that up Carav, sounds like the founder was a man with a good heart.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Just reading this now god it's all a bit mad isn't it really think some sort of regulation or national group to take control of all these groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(29-06-2016, 08:00 PM)WexEMT Wrote: Just reading this now god it's all a bit mad isn't it  really think some sort of regulation or national group to take control of all these groups

And what if a group don't want to fall under that umbrella.

Sure we already have ambulances and RRV going around the place outside of phecc bluelights flashing
(04-07-2016, 12:13 PM)volcomms Wrote:
(29-06-2016, 08:00 PM)WexEMT Wrote: Just reading this now god it's all a bit mad isn't it  really think some sort of regulation or national group to take control of all these groups

And what if a group don't want to fall under that umbrella.

Sure we already have ambulances and RRV going around the place outside of phecc bluelights flashing

It should be mandatory for a groups to fall under the umbrella. I don't see the point I having more than one group in an area doing the same work, just because everyone in one group can't get on with each other.

It should be mandatory for a groups yto fall under the umbrella. I don't see the point I having more than one group in an area doing the same work
[/quote]

Shouldn't the same apply to the medical sector then?
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Of course it should, and in the most part does. The medical sector is by and large regulated by Phecc for practitioners and responders. What is and can be used as an Ambulance is regulated by Revenue and respective road traffic acts. These SAR groups are little more than hobby clubs and the amount of duplication is ridiculous
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Or do you mean like having multiple ambulance organisations in one area foreign?
(05-07-2016, 10:16 AM)The Gap Wrote: Of course it should, and in the most part does. The medical sector is by and large regulated by Phecc for practitioners and responders. What is and can be used as an Ambulance is regulated by Revenue and respective road traffic acts. These SAR groups are little more than hobby clubs and the amount of duplication is ridiculous

Don't Ambulances now have to be driven on behalf PHECC recognised organisation to use exemptions of the RTA
(06-07-2016, 02:49 AM)DeWalt Wrote:
(05-07-2016, 10:16 AM)The Gap Wrote: Of course it should, and in the most part does. The medical sector is by and large regulated by Phecc for practitioners and responders. What is and can be used as an Ambulance is regulated by Revenue and respective road traffic acts. These SAR groups are little more than hobby clubs and the amount of duplication is ridiculous

Don't Ambulances now have to be driven on behalf PHECC recognised organisation to use exemptions of the RTA

Yes Road Traffic Act 2014 specified this
(06-07-2016, 10:00 AM)wex-eire Wrote:
(06-07-2016, 02:49 AM)DeWalt Wrote:

Yes Road Traffic Act 2014 specified this

A question for the Traffic Gurus.

What exactly does PHECC recognised mean? Is it related to CPGs?
Can a PHECC recognised training site only at CFR level have ambulances & RRVs?
PPhecc told me last week via email that unless your approved by them re CPG usage etc that you can't gain any exemptions under the RTA plus you can't practice as a practitioner or administer meds. I think I know who your talking about & he's a complete cowboy.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum