This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Driving licence (again)
I've had a Yes Minister experience today between the RSA and the NDLS.
Bear with me on this.
Had to do my BE test last week due to rigorous application of relevant legislation on the local authority, from the local traffic rats ( insert Vidar ).
Anyway after possibly the most enjoyable drive ever with a tester who didn't stop talking for the duration of the test, I was deemed competent with null, zero, zilch faults.
Anyway presented my certificate of competence and all associated documentation to the NDLS only to be told I needed a medical report.
Why?
I'll be issuing you a new licence from today so you'll need a med report.
But I'm only adding a category to my existing licence and only a class 1 category at that.
Yes, but we will be giving you a new licence that has your class 2 categories on it as well and you need a medical for those.
But my truck licence is valid until 2021.and the RSA website says if you have an existing category covered by a medical report you don't need a new medical
Yes but because we are issuing you the licence from today, the new licence will be valid until September 2021 for the truck portion of it, and therefore you will have no medical report for the period of April 2021 to sept 2021.
You are shitting me.
No that's the rule.
So even though my licence is perfectly OK and because you have decided to issue a new licence I have to go to the trouble and cost of getting a medical done.
Yes.
So then being thick I rang the RSA , and got the same spiel.
Then I asked him the following.
Let's say I get the medical report and you issue me a new Licence for category C and it's dated today.
And then let's say I arrive in tomorrow with a cert of competence for a bus, do I need a medical report.
Yes. Because there will be a period of 1 day in five years time which will not be covered by a medical cert.
You are double shitting me.
I shit you not.

This is bureaucracy gone mad.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
NDLS is a joke shop
when i go the truck i was told that because i had submitted a medical report in the last 10 years it was covered. Well done on the EB test, glad i could help push it along 148
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
I thought your CFO was using the horsebox as a moneymaker!
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Don't start me on them I had a similar issue trying to add a D1 onto my provisional C complete joke, also as my father's work buddie found out the truck licences have to be redone every 5 years as apposed to your car licence which lasts 10 so every 5years you have to through the medical and new licence issue
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
(09-09-2016, 01:13 PM)Command Support Wrote: I thought your CFO was using the horsebox as a moneymaker!

He spotted the Garda Mounted unit during the fleadh and thinks there's merit in it for the fire brigade.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
As stated earlier NDLS is a joke, they use data protection legislation when AGS look for points/driver details and demand request is sent via email by a Chief or a Superintendent acting. Now as a Traffic Garda I only look for driver details for my job, I signed official secrets act so why this extra layer of beurocracy which only adds to difficulties.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Ha ha, had a similar experience as well recently when adding the C category onto a still valid B license. Med cert was still in date for the provisional C, but because it didn't cover the 5 year period of 'renewing' the license (instead of adding a category for some reason), I had to pay to get a new medical report, despite the fact that who on earth can predict your health in 5 years so what does it really matter?! It's only really good for the moment in time. Could not fathom their reasoning at all.