This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Irish Red Cross Driver Panel
Anyone else find this a bit odd. Under IRC rules and regs state anyone over the age of 25 can drive their vehicles. Am I the only one who thinks it is stupid when there are members under the age of 25 advanced emergency response drivers and drive under all conditions day in day out? They would rather have people who have never driven an ambulance under normal conditions or in some cases under emergency response rather than make it safer for the crew and public to leave advanced drivers drive. I know its for insurance but really?? What are peoples thoughts
Anyone over 25 can drive on most open drive insurance schemes. As red cross would presumably operate a fleet policy I would think trained drivers under 25 are also covered
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
How many advanced drivers would be under 25? Where would they get this qualification?
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
(12-03-2017, 05:47 PM)Tactimule Wrote: How many advanced drivers would be under 25? Where would they get this qualification?
I guess the likes of NAS, it's included in Paramedic training course. Although I think it's still a proprietary course and not ESDS yet.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Email: echo59@esforum.org            PGP key: AF7C8C3B
And AFAIK vol orgs have only opted to train drivers to ESDS level 2 which doesn't cover emergency response driving
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
i believe its a current condition of the insurance that any driver be over 25 which isnt that uncommon with fleet policies
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
ESDS level 3 (blue light driver training) allegedly coming on line for vols this year. According to someone in the "know" it will be 20hrs tuition & then be assessed by an RSA tested in Mullingar
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(17-03-2017, 01:56 PM)irish medic Wrote: ESDS level 3 (blue light driver training) allegedly coming on line for vols this year. According to someone in the "know" it will be 20hrs tuition & then be assessed by an RSA tested in Mullingar

about time a course was implemented
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Think 20hrs of a course cheapens the 3 weeks the front line crews have to do.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(18-03-2017, 12:18 AM)Scuba Wrote: Think 20hrs of a course cheapens the 3 weeks the front line crews have to do.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It is better than nothing, and a 3 week course is an impossibility for any member of a volunteer blue light unit.
Remember these people also have other jobs.
(17-03-2017, 01:56 PM)irish medic Wrote: ESDS level 3 (blue light driver training) allegedly coming on line for vols this year. According to someone in the "know" it will be 20hrs tuition & then be assessed by an RSA tested in Mullingar

But ESDS level 1 and 2 have to. E completed first don't they?
And am I wrong in thinking that I heard at some stage that ESDS was not available to voluntary orgs unless PHECC decided it was appropriate??
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
And whats the need for vols to have level 3 anyway ? PHECC CPG's require voluntary orgs to contact NEOC for paramedic and AP assistance. If thats the case why would they transport. If they don't need P or AP assistance why use lights at all?
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Contingency for major emergency planning perhaps?
That's why I understood that ESDS level 3 didn't apply except for the organisations specifically named by the RSA.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
MEM has voluntary ambulance organisations respond to "routine" work or non emergency 999 calls as defined by AMPDS. So I'm still seeing very little if any need for ESDS level 3
Sometimes vols will have a Para or AP on board already either a member of the org or as prt of the event medical team so wouldn't be required to contact NEOC

I think some level of training would be appropriate but the amount of times that vols need to use light is minimal, in 15 years in one I can only remember 2/3 that requires it.
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Well I'm 20, I have completed a 4 week NHS Ambulance Service course in which I now have a Level 3 Certificate in Emergency Response Ambulance Driving and drive on/off response everyday at work. However when I come home on holidays I cannot drive an Irish Red Cross vehicle because of my age. I just think leaving people with no course or knowledge of driving on response over people who can and do drive on response not to do so. I know of lots of people who can't drive because of their age but work like myself with the NHS or HSE. Thank you for your thoughts guys and girls
But the UK certification doesn't apply in Ireland?
The only certification here is by the RSA and is ESDS.
I actually agree with you regards the age issue, it's daft, if you are qualified you are qualified regardless of age, however if an insurance company stipulates that you must be over 25 thin I suppose there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately.
It's basically down to the insurance company, so.

He who pays the piper sets the tunes.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Email: echo59@esforum.org            PGP key: AF7C8C3B
(19-03-2017, 04:22 PM)Bravo1 Wrote: Well I'm 20, I have completed a 4 week NHS Ambulance Service course in which I now have a Level 3 Certificate in Emergency Response Ambulance Driving and drive on/off response everyday at work. However when I come home on holidays I cannot drive an Irish Red Cross vehicle because of my age. I just think leaving people with no course or knowledge of driving on response over people who can and do drive on response not to do so. I know of lots of people who can't drive because of their age but work like myself with the NHS or HSE. Thank you for your thoughts guys and girls

That's a good point bravo, does seem odd when you put it like that
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.