This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

DFB lifestyle
Sorry to bother everyone but have a couple of questions about the DFB. Would be grateful if someone could fill me in:

-what is the policy regarding playing club football, can you request to change shifts etc so as not to clash with trainings/matches?

-do all stations have gyms?

- is laser eye surgery allowed to get to eyesight requirements?
Never understood the training / game allowance question. Most people play a sport or have hobbies. Why gaa should be treated differently to say, badminton I will never know
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(14-03-2017, 11:05 PM)Administrator Wrote: Never understood the training / game allowance question. Most people play a sport or have hobbies. Why gaa should be treated differently to say, badminton I will never know

Never understood it myself either.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
who mentioned allowances??

answer is, sports can be accommodated, stations have gyms, as long as you meet the sight requirements o the day of your medical without glasses you'll be fine!
In answer to your question re "change of shifts". You'll very quickly end up with no leave if you're swapping to play or train. There would have been a time where you might have been accommodated on station but after having had people come back to work after a match and be injured and unable to fulfil their duties it was knocked on the head.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(15-03-2017, 12:44 AM)METAMB 1 Wrote: who mentioned allowances??

answer is, sports can be accommodated, 

So you can ensure Mick never works late on a Tuesday and Thursday night and never on a Sunday morning because thats match day? Then also allow Tommy Mondays and also thursdays because thats football day but luckily he plays matches on Saturday mornings.

Then theres that arkward lad who thinks we should recognise karate as a sport, he wants to never work Monday as well as Tommy or Wednesday then take a working weekend off for a tournament all without using leave.

Cant see how anyone could possible make a claim that "Sports will be accommodated" when advising a possible recruit about work in a 24/7 emergency service
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Shift pattern allows for most things in fairness

If you train on a Wednesday evening and play on a Sunday morning for example you'll miss 1 training and 1 match a month.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(15-03-2017, 06:50 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Shift pattern allows for most things in fairness

If you train on a Wednesday evening and play on a Sunday morning for example you'll miss 1 training and 1 match a month.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
What is the shift pattern out of interest?
Supposing I don't like sports but I have an arrangement to meet the lads for a few pints on a Sunday night.....can I do that? I never heard such codswallop in my life.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
The answer to your question is Yes;
Providing
1: You've applied for and had the leave approved
2: We have enough people on duty
3: You yave another Sunday night to swap
4: You don't mind losing your Sunday night allowance

That's a lot of hoops to jump through. I'm taking it that the OP is a novice and knows nothing about ES life and the sacrifices made by people who choose a career in ES. Thats why I'm trying really hard not to be sarcastic ?
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
It's a fair enough question as the Gardaí are very flexible towards lads playing sport.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Yes but only if you play the 'right' sports and in my opinion it's a farce. Lads working more hours and taking more calls because Mick travels home to train for his local gaa team.

I was never allowed miss work for any of the social or sports events I was involved in. I got in trouble for missing court due to a sick child ffs!