This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

2017 CPGs
Hi,

I have been reading the new release CPGs and have a question regarding the Spinal Injury Mgmt CPG. Risk factors have been divided into high & low risk. I understand the high risk ones and if a patient complains of any of them or the mechanism of injury meets these risks then active spinal motion restriction should be considered.

However, I find the low risk factors a bit confusing?
Low risk factors:- any two or more of;
ý involved in a minor rear-end motor vehicle collision
ý comfortable in a sitting position
ý ambulatory at any time since the injury
ý no midline cervical spine tenderness
ý no spinal column/ midline pain
And are able to actively rotate their neck 45 degrees to the left and right

If a patient has no pain, no tenderness, is ambulatory, spinal motion restriction still needs to be considered? Shouldn't it read if the patient is not comfortable in a sitting position, has midline pain/tenderness and is unable to rotate their head 45 degrees, then consider spinal motion restriction?

No doubt one of many questions regarding the new CPGs. ??
That's one for hooch
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
(25-03-2017, 06:46 PM)Florence_N Wrote: Hi,

I have been reading the new release CPGs and have a question regarding the Spinal Injury Mgmt CPG. Risk factors have been divided into high & low risk. I understand the high risk ones and if a patient complains of any of them or the mechanism of injury meets these risks then active spinal motion restriction should be considered.

However, I find the low risk factors a bit confusing?
Low risk factors:- any two or more of;
ý involved in a minor rear-end motor vehicle collision
ý comfortable in a sitting position
ý ambulatory at any time since the injury
ý no midline cervical spine tenderness
ý no spinal column/ midline pain
And are able to actively rotate their neck 45 degrees to the left and right

If a patient has no pain, no tenderness, is ambulatory, spinal motion restriction still needs to be considered? Shouldn't it read if the patient is not comfortable in a sitting position, has midline pain/tenderness and is unable to rotate their head 45 degrees, then consider spinal motion restriction?

No doubt one of many questions regarding the new CPGs. ??

from my understanding of it EMT can only do active spinal motion restriction so we looking for high risk indications pain, tenderness midline, reduced rotation, and not comfortable. passive spinal motion restriction is Para and above and means they looking at both low and high risk factors. basically if they have any of the symptoms you were asking should the indications not be makes them high risk requiring active restriction
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!