This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Garda Support
http://www.gardasupport.ie/index.html

Garda Support
By Mark Reddy

I believe members of An Garda Siochana are of paramount importance to our communities. The country requires a service that is both supported, appropriately equipped and healthy in themselves in order to be better for the communities you serve and protect. 

Members require a comprehensive therapeutic support service to help you and your families cope with the horrendous traumas and stress that can affect each of you throughout your careers. 

Currently many members feel isolated and vilified in the public, many suffer dreadfully and in silence. Personally, I see this as a national shame and one that can only impact badly on us all. This site therefore is a means of helping you. 

Members require a comprehensive therapeutic support service to help you and your families cope with the horrendous traumas and stress that can affect each of you throughout your careers. 

My recommendations since 2002:

24/7 Telephone Counselling to aid members at nighttime and the weekend. 

A core Non Member Garda Therapy Team, manned by experienced and trusted therapists. Independent, confidential and with the authority to request changes in this area. 

Mandatory Counselling needs to be provided to all members following traumatic incidents. This will immediately elevate any negativity assigned to seeking support and start to change the insular culture within the force.

A non-member Garda Mediator and Representative is required to help those suffering from bullying, those in conflict and those returning from long term leave. Areas such as transfers, bullying and those returning from injury or illness need a trusted and proactive person to help resolve issues before they become bigger, more stressful and more costly for the force.  

These recommendations need to work together in order to be effective. 

Change management experts need to be appointed to look at helping the force to bring about the changes required. 

Proactive and hardworking members of the force should be supported, trained and have opportunities to develop in their careers. The future of the force depends on members working together to bring about the changes needed.   

Mark Reddy M.Sc.
My Sincere Thanks to:

All members who gave their time, insight, information and guidance in the creation of this site and in support of me over the years, you all know who you are. Thank you so much. 

A very big thank you to the brilliant and talented Artiom IvLev, who gave of his time, expertise and talent to create this site as his way of supporting all members in need.  
"Choose to be great, choose to be powerful beyond measure"
Email me Here
The Couch, an area to discuss issues of Welfare, Discipline, Peer Support and Concern
Stresskills for further articles and information
Well said

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
Thank you 🏽
"Choose to be great, choose to be powerful beyond measure"
Email me Here
The Couch, an area to discuss issues of Welfare, Discipline, Peer Support and Concern
Stresskills for further articles and information