This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

New Public Service Pay Deal
New deal agreed apparently, looks as if those of us on "fast accrual !!" Pensions have been rightly fucked over.
From RTE news;

About 250,000 public servants recruited before 2013 are set to receive pay improvements ranging from 6.2% and 7.4% over the next three years, after the government and public service unions reached a draft agreement on public sector pay early this morning.

A further 50,000 government employees recruited after 2013, who have less generous pension entitlements, will receive between 7 and 10% over the three-year duration of the proposed extension to the current Lansdowne Road Agreement.

The pay improvements will take two forms: phased pay increases, and changes to pension contributions.

From 1st January, 2018 government employees will receive a 1% pay rise.

On the 1st October 2018, there will be a further 1%.

In January 2019, those earning up to €30,000 will see a one% rise.

In September 2019, all employees will get a 1.75% increase.

In January 2020, those paid up to €32,000 will receive a further 0.5%.

In October 2020, the final phase will see all staff get an additional 2%.

On top of actual pay restoration, all public servants will benefit from the abolition of the pension levy introduced as an emergency measure in 2009.

However, the levy will be converted into a permanent higher pension contribution towards the cost of guaranteed public service pensions on a three tier basis.

The benefits of these reforms will vary depending on existing pension benefits.

Around 23,000 state employees - including Gardai, prison officers and military personnel - who have "fast accrual" pensions will benefit least.

Staff recruited prior to 2013 will pay the same rate of contribution as they did for the pension levy, however, the threshold at which they start to pay will rise to €32,000 in January 2019 and to €34,000 in January 2020

From January 2019, those hired after 2013, on inferior pension terms, will pay a lower rate of 6.66% on salaries between €32,000 and €60,000 - and 7% on earnings above that.

In January 2020, it will be reduced to 3.33% on salaries between €34,500 and €60,000, with those earning over €60,000 paying 3.5%.

Those with fast-accrual pensions will continue to pay the existing pension levy rate of 10% on salaries between €28,750 and €60,000 and 10.5% in salaries above €60,000. However the threshold for their contributions will not rise.

Under the proposed agreement, overall those appointed before 2013 earning between €55,000 and €60,000 would benefit by almost €4,000 over the three years.

Post 2013 recruits on the less generous pension scheme will benefit to the tune of €5,487 over the same period.

Those with fast accrual pensions will receive the pay increases, but would lose €575 because they would not gain from the pension contribution reforms.

While unions succeeded in blocking a management demand for more outsourcing of public services, they failed to secure any winding back of the requirement to work 15 million additional unpaid hours per year.

However, staff will have two opportunities in 2018 and 2021 to opt out and revert to their previous shorter working week - but would have to take a proportionate pay cut.

The executives of each union will now have to consider the proposals, prior to putting them out to ballot.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
(08-06-2017, 06:12 AM)Brigade Wrote: On top of actual pay restoration, all public servants will benefit from the abolition of the pension levy introduced as an emergency measure in 2009.

However, the levy will be converted into a permanent higher pension contribution towards the cost of guaranteed public service pensions on a three tier basis.

The benefits of these reforms will vary depending on existing pension benefits.

Around 23,000 state employees - including Gardai, prison officers and military personnel - who have "fast accrual" pensions will benefit least.

Staff recruited prior to 2013 will pay the same rate of contribution as they did for the pension levy, however, the threshold at which they start to pay will rise to €32,000 in January 2019 and to €34,000 in January 2020

From January 2019, those hired after 2013, on inferior pension terms, will pay a lower rate of 6.66% on salaries between €32,000 and €60,000 - and 7% on earnings above that.

In January 2020, it will be reduced to 3.33% on salaries between €34,500 and €60,000, with those earning over €60,000 paying 3.5%.

Those with fast-accrual pensions will continue to pay the existing pension levy rate of 10% on salaries between €28,750 and €60,000 and 10.5% in salaries above €60,000. However the threshold for their contributions will not rise.

As usual the government will try spin everything and say how we really will benefit, I love the way they are abolishing the pension levy yet introducing it under another name (or am I reading that wrong!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
You're right AP, give with one hand and take away with the other.
"Choose to be great, choose to be powerful beyond measure"
Email me Here
The Couch, an area to discuss issues of Welfare, Discipline, Peer Support and Concern
Stresskills for further articles and information
Most outlets calling it a pay rise to suit their own agendas (which is starting to boil my piss). We still won't have got back the 10% we sacrificed for the greater good and still paying a passion levy. Wonderful.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Nothing new here. Leo Thatcher & his minions view public service as nothing more than serfs who should do as they are told

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
(08-06-2017, 11:32 AM)62colmm Wrote: Nothing new here. Leo Thatcher & his minions view public service as nothing more than serfs who should do as they are told

Or outsourced if at all possible...
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Quote:Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Paschal Donohoe has welcomed the proposals issued by the Workplace Relations Commission

That in itself is enough to vote No.

If the Blueshirts are happy with the deal we're getting fucked over
That's a horrible deal, who the fuck agreed it for the unions?

Seriously, have Long read. A small pay increase over 3 years that won't match inflation, is below private sector increases and retaining the pension levy for life.

Horrible
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
And includes us accepting clocking in and out, if introduced.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
Can't understand the union agreeing to say the pension levy is gone yet re-introduced under another name. Public servants still have to pay it but they can abolish it for anyone else.

Also if it was pay restoration we should be back to our original pre-cut wages and then the small increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
On initial reading of it, it seems to be a disaster of a deal.
But it's bound to be accepted by the wider membership.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
Very simples, give back the pension levy, call it a pay hike due to your wages going up as you are not paying the pension levy, show the numbers, then introduce a higher pension contribution which equals the pension levy and abracadabra , public sector get a 10% pay hike at no cost to the government.

You earned 110 quid a week this time six years ago, we took 10 a week for the pension levy so you only got paid 100 a week, we got rid of the pension levy which now means your wages effectivly went up by a tenner back to 110 week, there ya go , on paper ye got a 10% rise because 10 is 10% of 100. Now we need too up your pension contribution to keep up with inflation, its not a pay cut on your rise which we just prooved is a rise since you get a tenner more a week, that contribution will come to 9 quid a week, there ya go lads a 10% rise.

Your all wondering about that last quid now, well lads ehhh lemme see how we can get that off ye as well, Oh yeah lets introduce an administration fee or something that will be only 1% , now lads 1% is not much and it will help the country no end, ye can't have a problem with giving 1% to help our poor downtrodden politicians now can ye
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png
I'm told, I'd say reliably, that retained firefighters are deemed to have fast accrual of ahem pensions, and therefore will still pay a pension levy.
Fast accrual is on recognition of the physically demanding job. Its not a favour.

What can gra do about this?
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(10-06-2017, 10:06 AM)Brigade Wrote: I'm told, I'd say reliably, that retained firefighters are deemed to have fast accrual of ahem pensions, and therefore will still pay a pension levy.

I my bollox we do, we dont get any bloody pension
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png
The only thing I like about it is that the OT and allowances don't seem to be subject to the pension levy
(10-06-2017, 03:30 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 10:06 AM)Brigade Wrote: I'm told, I'd say reliably, that retained firefighters are deemed to have fast accrual of ahem pensions, and therefore will still pay a pension levy.

I my bollox we do, we dont get any bloody pension

We'll all new recruits do because they have to join the pension scheme.
But remember you were already paying the pension levy even though you don't get one....
It's a simple NO from me. Restore my wages to pre 2008 levels, equip me with proper patrol cars a proper uniform a proper it system & a complaints system that allows me to complain effectively when Iv been wronged and then, only then Leo Pascal & u other Tory wet dreams in Fine Gael/Thatcher appreciation society only then will I consider negotiations! In short, take your proposals and Foxtrot Oscar!

Quite when will our cosseted failed solicitors & uppity publicans masquerading as "public reps" realise that the squeezed middle have had enough! Enough of 6 figure saleries that would make POTUS blush enough with turbocharged accrual pensions enough with multiple pensions. They didn't seem to worry when voting themselves an apx €5k increase in recent weeks, and none of the entitlement mob said no either. This shower wasted millions on Irish Water & now refuse to refund the 2 thirds of households who paid. They refuse to listen to those of us who can actually make suggestions to improve services provided but have no compunction in splashing millions on investigations which ignore us. Why in this country can a fellow MS patient be scared into paying a parking fine issued in Derry (despite bluebadge displayed) for fear his car could be impounded yet in RoI N. Ire motorists can evade fines with zero sanctions available.
Last point might be off on tangent a bit but my question is when exactly are our shower in Leinster House going to actually represent the law abiding tax paying citizens of this country?

I predict we will be well and truly shafted by the majority of unions or union members accepting the deal.