This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Servicing fire extinguisher
So, years ago I bought a fire extinguisher for the house.  Dry powder, see pictures.  Can't remember where I got it, but it was one of the highstreet stores.

Anyway, it seems that I should service it annually.  Any idea i) where I should go for this or ii) the cost of this (versus buying a new unit).

A quick Google search doesn't reveal much as it all seems to be commercial services.  One price I saw was for stg£ 12.00 per unit serviced, which wouldn't make it cost-effective to do.

Email: echo59@esforum.org            PGP key: AF7C8C3B
At home, don't bother. Keep an eye on the pressure gauge, every couple of months shake it around a bit to stop the powder caking and that should do it. After 10 years fire it off and get a new one.

Foam & CO2 would probably be a better job for the house, powder will put the fire out, but make a fierce mess doing it.
This post has been repped by: echo59 (4),

I disagree. Foam would be useless on the usual source of house fires, electrical. DP is best for all possible household fires. Alternatively a good fire blanket.
Have to agree with civdef on this one, dry powder makes an awful mess, CO2 is the way to go but remember if its anything larger than a paper bin it will not put it out, they can be useful to knock back a fire to aid escape but thats about it, a fire blanket is a must in every household and knowing how to use it properly.
(15-07-2017, 10:34 PM)Dirtyshirt72 Wrote: I disagree. Foam would be useless on the usual source of house fires, electrical. DP is best for all possible household fires. Alternatively a good fire blanket.

Just plug out / switch off and the electricity disappears (and the RCD probably tripped anyway).

Electricity doesn't travel all that far up a foam jet either - very unlikely to get a shock even if something was still live.

DP fired indoors will badly impair vision, and it's no craic for breathing either.
(15-07-2017, 10:45 PM)civdef Wrote: DP fired indoors will badly impair vision, and it's no craic for breathing either.

Having fired one off in a bedroom with a small fire I can 100% back up that statement!
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
As Civdef says check the pressure fudge and throw it away once it goes in the red.
They're so cheap now it's not worth servicing them.
Wouldn't allow a dry powder extinguisher inside the door of a house, they'll destroy the place. I have managed to keep a BCF extinguisher charged and maintained, nothing better than it but can't be got anymore, mores the pity.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
I agree with the above. Dry powder destroys the place and it's hard to breath if you get a lung full. That said, I think it's far better that CO2.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
I miss halon. Bloody greens.
Technically there is no such thing as an electrical fire anymore. Electricity doesn't 'burn' it simply causes another substance to ignite. So turn off the power and u have a standard ABC fire.

Also be careful with CO2 and small spaces, where powder isn't fun to inhale CO2 will stop you from breathing if in a small space.