This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Status Red Weather Warning for Monday
Status red wind warning ahead of Atlantic storm
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1014/912351-ophelia/

Red warning for Mayo, Gakway, Clare, Kerry and Cork. Orange warning for the rest of the country. Safe days work to all who are on duty Monday!
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Ah crap it’s my first day back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Extra glue to stick on that comedy tache on Monday mornin so.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
RTC central.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
KERRY County Council has activated its major emergency plan after Met Éireann issued a Code Level Red severe weather warning for the county.
The warning will apply from 9am on Monday to 3am on Tuesday with winds of up to 130km/h expected across the county with the potential for structural damage and significant disruption.
Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday, bringing severe winds and stormy conditions
The local co-ordination team, including Kerry County Council, the HSE, An Garda Siochana, Kerry Fire and Rescue Services and Kerry Civil Defence, met this afternoon to make preparations for the weather emergency.
The council has asked members of the public, property owners and businesses to plan for the severe weather expected on Monday and into the early hours of Tuesday. Loose items like bins, unsecured hoarding and signage should be secured in advance of the stormy conditions.
Tidal surges are expected in coastal areas with some flooding likely in coastal regions though the severe risk is expected from high winds and the possibility of fallen branches and trees.
Council personnel have been mobilised across the county and sandbags are being deployed to at-risk areas as a precaution and will be available from tomorrow
I see Bus Eireann school bus services not operating on monday. Many schools are announcing closure for monday.
I'm trying to decide is it better to take the cover off the bike lest it rips itself to pieces and knocks the bike over in the process.
Latest updates on major hurricane Ophelia; now a CAT3 with 960mb and 185 km/h sustained winds, gusts above 225 km/h. Models are now in very good agreement about its future track and expecting Ophelia to become an extra-tropical storm by Monday before making landfall in WSW Ireland. One thing to consider is the extension of the powerful wind field once Ophelia becomes extra-tropical system (which could even form a sting-jet = extremely severe winds mixed down to the surface). In any case, winds will be extremely severe and possibly near 150 km/h sustained with gusts near 200 km/h until the late Monday night after it interacts with the British Isles. Stay tuned!

Source: NOAA / Tropical Tidbits / NHC
Keep an eye on Irish Weather online on Facebook, they are usually well on the money with weather and provide good updates.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
We are getting the official updates direct to the Station Officer phones, needless to say that last one i put up from the Americans is not an official one.
And to think... I had leave on monday.... And I cancelled it last week to help the unit out. Shite.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(14-10-2017, 06:44 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: KERRY County Council has activated its major emergency plan after Met Éireann issued a Code Level Red severe weather warning for the county.
The warning will apply from 9am on Monday to 3am on Tuesday with winds of up to 130km/h expected across the county with the potential for structural damage and significant disruption.
Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday, bringing severe winds and stormy conditions
The local co-ordination team, including Kerry County Council, the HSE, An Garda Siochana, Kerry Fire and Rescue Services and Kerry Civil Defence, met this afternoon to make preparations for the weather emergency.
The council has asked members of the public, property owners and businesses to plan for the severe weather expected on Monday and into the early hours of Tuesday. Loose items like bins, unsecured hoarding and signage should be secured in advance of the stormy conditions.
Tidal surges are expected in coastal areas with some flooding likely in coastal regions though the severe risk is expected from high winds and the possibility of fallen branches and trees.
Council personnel have been mobilised across the county and sandbags are being deployed to at-risk areas as a precaution and will be available from tomorrow

Will crews be manning stations or still turning out from home/work BB?
I have a feeling that it will just be windy. No hurricane

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

[Image: SARGE300_zpsb3d5acad.png]
(15-10-2017, 11:28 AM)silop10 Wrote: I have a feeling that it will just be windy. No hurricane

I see your "feeling" and raise you SCIENCE.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIA...0840.shtml?
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIA...1438.shtml
https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp
Quote:STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday bringing severe winds and stormy conditions . Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.
Issued:
Saturday 14 October 2017 13:18
Valid:
Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

Quote:STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for The rest of the country
Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday. Mean wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130km/h are expected, however some inland areas may not be quite as severe. The winds have potential to cause structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.
Issued:
Saturday 14 October 2017 13:21
Valid:
Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00
Sure look, they have been over cautious before and nothing happened. Better to be prepared than caught rotten. Again.
Gave me the kick in the arse to put away the garden furniture and bbq's that I really should've done weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
I’m genuinely worried about this one- there’s potential there for serious harm. Anyone in ES working tomorrow will need to keep a serious eye out.
I'm sure the divisional office will email is on Tuesday with the plan.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
(15-10-2017, 04:39 PM)foreign Wrote: I'm sure the divisional office will email is on Tuesday with the plan.

Im sure its not just AGS that will get a POA after the storm..... the front line will just wing it and ride out the storm while trying to stay safe
Of course there will be an after action report and a dail committe inquiry seeking to blame anyone for the weather.
(15-10-2017, 11:15 AM)Eighttoamile Wrote:
(14-10-2017, 06:44 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: KERRY County Council has activated its major emergency plan after Met Éireann issued a Code Level Red severe weather warning for the county.

Will crews be manning stations or still turning out from home/work BB?

No definitive answer on that as of yet