This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Advanced Mobile Location
Quote:THE GOVERNMENT HAS launched a new service that will help emergency services determine your exact location when you call them.
Once you dial 112 or 999, a new location system will determine where you are making the phone call from and alert the emergency services.
Advanced Mobile Location (AML) works by finding a phone’s GPS coordinates and sends a text to the call centre that received the call. This is then passed on to the first responders to help locate you.
Minister for Communications Denis Naughten told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that the system has been able to pinpoint a person’s location “to within 10 metres” in some case.
“It’s been developed in conjunction with Google, and it’s on all Android phones,” he said.
The service is automatic, and doesn’t require users to put on location services on the phone. It is meant to be used alongside someone’s eircode, not to replace it entirely.
“The advantage for this is in isolated rural areas,” Naughten said. He described a situation where he was in the Wicklow mountains and came across a cyclist who’d been injured in a fall but couldn’t pinpoint an exact location to tell emergency services.
The minister said: “It will mean emergency services can get to emergencies far quicker, be it the gardaí, fire service or ambulance service.”
Although currently only on Android phones, Naughten said he hoped that other phone companies would come on board with the service. People with Android phones do not need to do anything to be able to use this service, as it is built into software from Google Play Services version 9.0 onwards.
The emergency call answering service receives on average 4,000 calls from mobiles every day, and the minister said that around half of mobiles are Android devices.
He said that the data gathered would only be used in emergency calls, and that no information would be stored or kept.
“It will be of huge benefit in rural Ireland,” he added.

SOURCE

So what does everyone think?
Its another tool in the arsenal. Not sure how its being implemented

Assume itll be only if the control room operator requests it off ECAS, like they can now with Longs Lats or Northings and Eastings of cell triangulation

Itd be great if systems were modern enough that it auto populates.... one can dream

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Guess the Apple fans are fucked....
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
I think apple just don't want to play ball at the moment. Must be a funding issue

Sent from my Nokia 3210i using WAP
(19-10-2017, 09:12 PM)Brigade Wrote: Guess the Apple fans are fucked....

Considering they can't even post a picture on here there's no hope for them with this!
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Rep when I get to a computer foreign
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(19-10-2017, 09:01 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Its another tool in the arsenal. Not sure how its being implemented

Assume itll be only if the control room operator requests it off ECAS, like they can now with Longs Lats or Northings and Eastings of cell triangulation

Itd be great if systems were modern enough that it auto populates.... one can dream

Its already active in Neoc/NAS and has been for a little while now. It's automatic, no need to ask ecas or anything. The exact location populates on the map and shows exactly where the caller is down to a few metres even in towns and cities.
Its a great tool to have. Only a few networks allow it so far but hopefully all networks allow it
Now its not 100%, it has been wrong and the AML has been totally different to where the caller was saying they were. But that was during testing.
This is a signature
Damn you and your 21st century technology!!

Theres always going to be issues like third parties callin in for opposite end of the country etc

But its another tool in arsenal. Something I would have liked during my time call taking. Especially for rural areas

JUST CALL ME PROBIE
And will hopefully see the beginning of the end of hoax callers.

Sent from my Nokia 3210i using WAP
All well and good that control will know to within a few yards where the caller is but feck all use to frontline with the exception of getting a correct address. We will still get a printout sheet which we have to decipher in a lot of circumstances. Now if we all had some form of satnav that was hooked up to the system then we would be talking.
Ah yes, and operator asking screaming panicking caller for their eircode! Óna related note it annoys me that ecas operator speaks the phone number over the caller while caller is trying to give details of emergency (personnel experience, haven't answered 999 since ages back in C & C)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
Still happens. Rang the gardai a week ago, and got the ecas talking over me.
(20-10-2017, 02:36 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: All well and good that control will know to within a few yards where the caller is but feck all use to frontline with the exception of getting a correct address. We will still get a printout sheet which we have to decipher in a lot of circumstances. Now if we all had some form of satnav that was hooked up to the system then we would be talking.
You mean like an MDT linked to Tetra ? Like they've had all over Europe for nigh on 20 years ??
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(20-10-2017, 07:45 PM)The Gap Wrote:
(20-10-2017, 02:36 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: All well and good that control will know to within a few yards where the caller is but feck all use to frontline with the exception of getting a correct address. We will still get a printout sheet which we have to decipher in a lot of circumstances. Now if we all had some form of satnav that was hooked up to the system then we would be talking.
You mean like an MDT linked to Tetra ? Like they've had all over Europe for nigh on 20 years ??

We can only dream of such manner of contraptions. Now where did I put my OSI map?
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
(20-10-2017, 08:47 PM)Command Support Wrote:
(20-10-2017, 02:36 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: All well and good that control will know to within a few yards where the caller is but feck all use to frontline with the exception of getting a correct address. We will still get a printout sheet which we have to decipher in a lot of circumstances.  Now if we all had some form of satnav that was hooked up to the system then we would be talking.

We can only dream of such manner of contraptions. Now where did I put my OSI map?

I actually Gods honest truth have a book of them for our area in the back of the appliance which one of the lads did that shows the townlands and back roads.

MDT is definitely the single best thing to come into our place! All the details and a map to the door...... it has taken out half the hassle of trying to copy down and decifer dodgy directions from control. Eircode is very helpful for houses. This new AML will hopèfully work for other stuff.
We got MDTs years back. Brilliant mapping system on them except you couldn’t use the functionality because control couldn’t transmit the data required to get you to the location.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
(21-10-2017, 11:48 AM)Brigade Wrote: We got MDTs years back. Brilliant mapping system on them except you couldn’t use the functionality because control couldn’t transmit the data required to get you to the location.

Can they do it with the new system?
(21-10-2017, 03:49 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:
(21-10-2017, 11:48 AM)Brigade Wrote: We got MDTs years back. Brilliant mapping system on them except you couldn’t use the functionality because control couldn’t transmit the data required to get you to the location.

Don’t know. Don’t care.
Dealing with mysteries and idiosycrancies of Camp West now!
(21-10-2017, 04:22 PM)Brigade Wrote:
(21-10-2017, 03:49 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:

Don’t know. Don’t care.
Dealing with mysteries and idiosycrancies  of Camp West now!

Bloody senior officers and their fancy danish butter cookies.