This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Lifeguard governance
Had this question posed to me today and was curious as to what the answer was.

Life guards in Ireland are trained under the Royal Lifesaving Society (RLSS) and as a part of their training do a level of first aid deemed adequate by same (including CPR, AED and spinal immobilization) . The question was, who is the governing body which over sees compliance from a medical stand point. As PHECC do with most other organizations?
There are 2 different awarding bodies, the RLSS as you mention and also Irish Water Safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Didn’t know they were trained under the RLSS?
Lifeguards in public beaches and lakes etc are local authority employees. Most local authorities have a Water Safety Officer responsible for their training and appointment and as I understand it they come under the auspices of Irish Water Safety for relevant standards ?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
RLSS cover a lot of private leisure centre pools. Are both RLSS and Irish water safety recognised as first aid providers then?
Not sure to be honest, the whole thing of PHECC overseeing organizations is a tad confusing.
Is it not just organizations that have EMT and above that they oversee?
Surely it’s nigh on impossible and pointless to be attempting to oversee anyone else?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
The HSA used to be the overseeing body for OFA, technically they probably did the likes of swimming pools due to it being a workplace. The lifeguard organisations possibly said they trained up to and beyond the level of OFA.

Just my thoughts and no evidence of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
But the HSA didn’t actually oversee it, all they did was set a course content. No on actually oversees the standards as such?
Very interesting feedback folks thanks, immobilization and AED training is covered along with other OFA skills on these courses
Not 100% on topic, but I see lots of people referencing REC 3 first aid courses. Does anyone know where or how they fit into the PHECC system?
They would be equivalent to First Aid Responder level. But they dont fit into phecc, they are governed by themsleves as an organisation. Very good courses.
I am open to correction but was one of the roles of phecc not to standardise to various levels of pre hospital care? To get away from dozens of different courses and titles in use with different organisations.