This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Policing United Ireland
I know this is long way off in my mind but how could you change policing in north?

Fleet would cost a bomb with differing types of cars needed in north

Armed members always patrol

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
Well

We cant sort enough members or proper resources for the 26 counties we have....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
There are presumptions that come to light regularly regarding current policing in N Ireland. Contrary to common belief, the majority of patrol vehicles (Land Rovers affectionately known as "Tangi's" being the exception) are soft skinned, not armoured and this has been case since before 2008 (I did original 8 week Patten Programme secondment to Traffic in Maydown) they use a lot of UK spec astras & octavia for standard patrol with, now here is where they are better equipped, 3l passats r22 golf skoda superb awd & Audi a6 avant awd. Still soft skinned though. (the land rovers or Tangi's were so heavy & so good that they all had various changes of engine over theur years of service) They have a VIP protection detail who are equipped with hi spec Range Rovers amongst other vehicles which are armoured to Russian billionaires standards. I recall a time when Brian Cowen was Taoiseach & was visiting N Ireland when my late colleague Garda Gary McLoughlin R. I. P. was killed in December 2009. He was coming to Buncrana to sign book of condolence & we were assigned, along with D Branch to collect him at the border. The PSNI convoy of Range Rovers arrived to be met by a 2007 marked traffic mondeo & a "borrowed" unmarked mondeo from Letterkenny. It was almost comical to see Biffo trying to squeeze into the back seat of a mondeo. Such a contrast lap of luxury for his journey from Stormont to Bridgend & bog standard from his own for such a sombre reason. Still, like all oIrish politicians before & after him, the lesson was not learnt & we are still the poor relations!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk