Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Converting a private jeep to commercial

Has anyone got a list of requirements for turning a passenger jeep into a commercial vehicle? Not coming up on the RSA site. Also has the crew cab loophole been closed? Got a XC90 looking to convert it.

The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!

MRX did that a few back I think. He might be the man to talk to

Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]

Are you just looking to take seats out and get tax class changed or are we talking a rebuild?

For the first the requirements will depend and vary from local authority to local authority, i know of one lad who wen to Limerick and got given 4 pages of changes needed, were as tipperary only wanted half a page of things.

Rebuild would may need type approval from RSA, contact vehicle standards section on loughrea for more info

Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!

(27-09-2018, 04:19 PM)vidar Wrote:  Are you just looking to take seats out and get tax class changed or are we talking a rebuild?

For the first the requirements will depend and vary from local authority to local authority, i know of one lad who wen to Limerick and got given 4 pages of changes needed, were as tipperary only wanted half a page of things.

Rebuild would may need type approval from RSA, contact vehicle standards section on loughrea for more info

If I could get it crew cabbed then I'd do that if not just a basic conversion, it's for work picked up a 2nd job recently and 4x4/all wheel drive is a major advantage

The regulations changed recently regarding type approval on crew caps. It is different to the situation prior to July. The cargo space must be seperated from the passenger area to qualify.
https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehi...index.aspx
https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profession...ion-01.pdf

Looks like the most aggravating part of all this will actually be convincing the insurance what I need if for (locations medic) humping med gear and crew up d side of mountains etc, pity "mind your own fucking business" isn't a acceptable response.

When I did it a few years back, it went like this:
  • Remove the back seats, fill the holes with that filler/cement stuff.
  • Remove the back seatbelts and mounts.
  • Disconnect power to rear windows (some places will make you put board in too).
  • Get it inspected by a person who's qualified to sign off as all the above being done (I can't remember the proper title).
  • Bring the paperwork to the local motor tax office with the vehicle for inspection. 
  • When all that is agreed and signed off I think you need to send off the paperwork to Shannon for the vehicle class to be changed.
  • Get a false floor put in (not sure if thats mandatory but I did it).
As Vidar said, it can vary from Local Authority to Local Authority but that's what I did anyway. As regards the insurance, do you need to be as specific?

Hope this helps.

It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.

It has changed since then.