This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

The Garda Medical Exam
Upon passing your interview and background checks being cleared, your next step is the medical.
This takes place at Garda Headquaters in the phoenix park, Dublin. In my case and in most ive heard, 4 weeks notice is usually given.
The foolowing are some ailments listed on the publicjobs.ie website which may cause you to fail a medical:
Defective Vision, Varicose veins, Obesity, Albumenuria, Dental Caries, Defective Hearing, Hypertension.

If your first up as i was at 09:00am, arrive at garda hq 10-15 mins in advance and go to the sentry gate, where the gardai there will point you in the right direction. You go to and old building and there is a reception hatch where you give your name and are given a form.
This will ask you the basic details, name, dob and gp's name an number.

Then you meet the nurse and give her a urine sample, followed by a hearing test in a sealed room, where you push a button when you hear bbeps through headphones. This can be difficult so try and control your breathing as it can become loud if you breath to heavy. Also if you often wear headphones its advisable to go without for 4 weeks to imrove your hearing. after that she checks blood-pressure and thats really it with her.

Next up is the doctor. There is usually a group of 4 being tested together, you make your way upstairs to the waiting room across from the doctor,there we waited approxomately 30 mins for the doctor to arrive. The she gives you the order in which she will call you, when the first goes in the next gets changed....

You go into a cutained off cubicle in the room and don the most luxurious bath robes-not. Id say they were there, when fachtna murphy did his medical! The multi-coloured,sandpaper bath robes do the job though.

when its your turn you go in sit down and the doctor, she asks you some questions about your medical past does the following tests. She does a rudementary check of your teeth to see all is in order. Then she will measure your weight and height. Next you lie down on the ouch and for the lads she makes you cough and has a good feel! she will check all your limbs are in working order and check your eyesight.

Then she will either pass or fail you. If you fail on vision it is possible to get a 6 month delay to correct it with laser. anything else and its back to square one. When your finished you change back into clthes and head over to another building on the grounds, admin i think, the directions i got were crap and a 5 minute walk took 15mins, stopping and asking for directions. Head into reception they will send you to the second floor and there you will meet someone and hopefully be given a date for your pct.

That was my experience about a year ago, others may vary and if i have left anything out, do add to it,thanks.
Could anyone clarify this for me?

The vision standard is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision.

OK so I understand the 6/18 in each eye unaided by glasses but whatâ€s the correctable to 6/9, 6/12 all about
(27-01-2010, 07:58 PM)HFB Wrote: Could anyone clarify this for me?

The vision standard is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision.

OK so I understand the 6/18 in each eye unaided by glasses but whatâ€s the correctable to 6/9, 6/12 all about

maybe it refers to laser corrections?
if you fail the medical through eyesight reasons, you are afforded six months to see if laser treatment can correct it, without starting from scratch. Perhaps this is what it refers to,not had that problem myself so im not sure.
I can see its bin awhile since this was discussed but i recently failed a medical for the defence forces. the reason i was failed was for my BMI being 2 over what it should of bin, now i'm not small and i'm not unfit either just wondering if theres any leeway with the other services with regards to it lik less strict or watever??
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
(02-02-2010, 03:47 PM)Shakin Wrote: maybe it refers to laser corrections?
if you fail the medical through eyesight reasons, you are afforded six months to see if laser treatment can correct it, without starting from scratch. Perhaps this is what it refers to,not had that problem myself so im not sure.

I'm not sure what it is either, but I know for a fact that my mate had laser surgery, went back and is now a serving member.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(09-03-2011, 05:51 PM)Ballast Wrote: I can see its bin awhile since this was discussed but i recently failed a medical for the defence forces. the reason i was failed was for my BMI being 2 over what it should of bin, now i'm not small and i'm not unfit either just wondering if theres any leeway with the other services with regards to it lik less strict or watever??

BMI was strict, as far as I remember, can't for the life of me remember what the max was. In fact the entire medical was very strict.
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
ya they are very strict lately the limit is 30 which is what i am so i am technicly a bat fastard should be aimng off to be 28 harsh times but wat can ya do lik?
a bmi of 30 is very high mate, sorry to break it to you but its bordering obese.

Now before you get all depressed about it I know that theres plenty of reasons to have a high bmi but still fit and healthy. In AGS a high bmi can be overcome by getting certified by a medical expert that your weight is either a high level of muscle or for sporting purposes (rugby players who are heavy but still super fit for example) and I have known some very heavy army lads
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
yaeh i know its pretty High but i'm well built if ya get me, yeah i'm on a hefty training routine now like so hopefully. ya i race boats the odd time and its kinda needed haha also helps on those cold nites standing out side clubs if you get me? ha
well I would imagine that the defence forces medical team can advise you in regards getting certified. Another example of bmi being a poor choice to measure someones health and fitness.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Jesus I remember those pincer things they did on you to try and measure if you had fat on you, I had bruises for a week after them!!!!!
BMI has been discredited in the uk fireservice, on the basis there is no official way of taking into account muscle mass. It has been replaced with a fitness assessment, I believe.
Sad 
Yeah those pincer yoke's leave a nice reminder after alrite!
Nobody measured my BMI at the medical and I certain nobody came at me with any pincers infect the only time BMI was mentioned was in the college on phase 3
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.
they do it the lazy way and have a chart showing height to weight ratio = a certain bmi. If your under great, if your over they fail you even if its Arnie standing in front of em with a bemused face saying "Call me fat again little man". 148
My height and weight were measured. HQ told me before the med that anything over 30 was a fail. i was around the 29/30 mark so had to drop a stone in a month,just in case. Ive a feeling i may have to do the same again!
My Gp told me before the exam that BMI was a rough guide and that mine would be high anyway because i had a "large skeletal frame!"
As my good friend Coach has said, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you work out and are fit you will have a high BMI. Mine is 25.1 now, according to my Weightbot app, and it's telling me I'm in the red!
Oh, and I'm 5'9" and 79.4kgs.....
yeah this is the scale i was shown its pretty blunt lik but I'm currently 105kilos and 6ft [Image: bmi.jpg]
Go on ya fat fucker!148
Thanks for the support148148