This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Civil Defence
A question for the CD lads here.

I have applied online a few times, always to be told somebody would be in contact soon with information.

I have yet to receive anything back, even a 'sorry no vacancies' notice etc.

Is there another way to go about this?

Cheers! 148
Im not in CD but i work closely with the head man in CD dublin PM me your detIails and ill see if i can see what the hold up is
This is a court of Law young man! Not, a court of Justice.

Disclaimer: The above is the authors personal opinion and does not represent the values, teachings, policy or opinion of my employer do not take it as anything other than the authors opinion.
(15-03-2012, 05:59 PM)Coach23 Wrote: Im not in CD but i work closely with the head man in CD dublin PM me your detIails and ill see if i can see what the hold up is

Sound out Coach. I emailed the Cork City head man there a few mins ago.

I'll hold tough a while and see if he emails me back. If not, I'll PM you here on elsewhere.

Thanks man!!
Would it not be an idea to ring the local CDO as opposed to emailing him/her?
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
door step them, show up at the training night and ask what the story is
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(15-03-2012, 07:16 PM)vidar Wrote: door step them, show up at the training night and ask what the story is

Aggressive Tango man tactics is actually what id do!
This is a court of Law young man! Not, a court of Justice.

Disclaimer: The above is the authors personal opinion and does not represent the values, teachings, policy or opinion of my employer do not take it as anything other than the authors opinion.
Turning up is the best plan. You'll also get a much better feel for the unit than some recruitment event.
What a fortuitous thread!

Recently I've been mulling over applying to the local Civ Def unit.

I have a huge intrest in the medical and Rescue side of the Emergency Services.

I know there are a few here in the Civ Def, would you recommend it to a mule?

Is 24 and 3/4 to old to join ?148
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Can't say about civil age profile, but in my RC area we have people from 13-70ish, so now your not too old yet tacti 148
Those who can, do.

I'm coming up on 14 years in CD. I've got a lot out of it, enjoy it (most of the time) and have stayed in it even if my current job meant I had to step back from most of the duties and concentrate on instructing.

That said, in a lot of places, CD is a joke where the only people who stay on are morons who don't know any better and standards are very low. It all comes down to local leadership. One unit can be excellent, go 20 miles up the road and you're in D'Unbelievables territory.

You'll need to ask around and go visit the unit yourself to see which category the unit you're looking at falls into.

As an aside, and I know there are several people who are members of both CD and AGS, this never used to be allowed - when this change?
(15-03-2012, 10:57 PM)vidar Wrote: Can't say about civil age profile, but in my RC area we have people from 13-70ish, so now your not too old yet tacti 148

Ah those 70 year olds. Just a pity most if em can't get on the ground to do CPR.
Deef there is/was a unit startin up down our way! If you get onto "the monkey" or "chuckels" they'll sort ya out with info, I signed up for it but with going away had to put it on the backburner04 heres hoping their recruitin when i get back!
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
I know you can't be in the DF and AGS, never heard about CD!!

I miss the crack in the RDF, would like to get some of that back, while
Doing something I was interested in.
Is there not something that members of the gardai and army cannot join CD while still active? Something to do with it being under DOD and the uniform carrying the harp??
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
On a practical level, having a lot of CD members with jobs in other emergency services is a double edged sword.

On one hand, the knowledge, experience and attitudes coming from other services are generally a welcome asset to CD, hopefully providing crossover to other volunteers along with better links to other services.

On the other, if key personnel have other overriding responsibilities, in the event of a serious emergency, CD can be left without key personnel and response can be seriously impaired.

Ideally you want a situation where you have enough senior personnel in CD able to assume leadership roles, who can learn from professionals who train with them.
I thought it was only the armed services though?
Fairly sure gardai included. I have never heard of a guard in any CD unit I have come across. Plenty of fire and ambulance alright
Couple of members Of the Forum are I'm sure!
Im not aware of any issue with guards being in CD, its not on the list of prohibated spare time things that i can think of
Those who can, do.

Something to be checked out so, few lads here who went for the gardai over the years were told they would have to leave if successful