This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Civil Defence
seems a bit of a waste maintaining that large an AFS given the cost of the gear involved if its rarely used?
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Well most dub cd fire boys think the sun shines out of their arse and that any min dfb are going to be calling them out.

In reality, floods are the main reason for call outs of the fire lads and a truck full of pumps and hoses would be just as effective.
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
I have never, ever been at an incident where we were provided with welfare by any agency. We carry bottled water in the D.O's car and thats it.

We officially are to be relieved after 4 hours at an incident. Generally its closer to 5 hours by the time you are replaced.

It's a poison chalice though as straight away you are now available for other turnouts. With a lot of appliances tied up at the main incident you are guaranteed to be busy covering other areas.

(16-03-2012, 08:58 PM)Paulzx Wrote: I have never, ever been at an incident where we were provided with welfare by any agency. We carry bottled water in the D.O's car and thats it.

We officially are to be relieved after 4 hours at an incident. Generally its closer to 5 hours by the time you are replaced.

It's a poison chalice though as straight away you are now available for other turnouts. With a lot of appliances tied up at the main incident you are guaranteed to be busy covering other areas.

And to be fair any time I'm at a long incident the lads always pass a few bottles our way.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.
Paul, Dub are exception to all rules, cd wise.
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(16-03-2012, 08:58 PM)Paulzx Wrote: I have never, ever been at an incident where we were provided with welfare by any agency. We carry bottled water in the D.O's car and thats it.

The Super brought me tea at 7:00am one morning.........
Or at least directed a Sgt to do it 22

I was stupefied! Fully expected to be forgotten about!
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
(15-03-2012, 11:27 PM)command_support Wrote: Fairly sure gardai included. I have never heard of a guard in any CD unit I have come across. Plenty of fire and ambulance alright

Oh i am command_support, In CD 10years and Gardai 5years, never had any issue... well i did a minor one from a previous CDO who wrote a letter to my private house telling me with my new carrer in my i should re consider my membership in CD. we never seen eye to eye and he kept the postman busy coming to my house 148 he has since moved on 19
Ex army too no doubt. Your goina have to make yourself known at the next CDO conference and start a revolution 148
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
http://www.civildefence.ie/CDWeb.nsf/Doc...enDocument

I think makes a lot of sense to me is getting CD involved early in flood prevention work which otherwise would probably involve getting a contractor in and costing a fortune.

Seems better getting them in early doing preventative work when there's sufficent warnings available than waiting until a city is swapped and then having to wait for them to mobilise etc. Last flood in Dublin they say couldn't be predicted but it seem to take a long time into the flood to get them mobilised.
Update: still not heard from the had man in Cork. and the Asst head honcho is out of office until tomorrow.

Be nice to have some bit of a relpy at least!130
(22-03-2012, 01:43 PM)Sporty Wrote: http://www.civildefence.ie/CDWeb.nsf/Doc...enDocument

I think makes a lot of sense to me is getting CD involved early in flood prevention work which otherwise would probably involve getting a contractor in and costing a fortune.

Seems better getting them in early doing preventative work when there's sufficent warnings available than waiting until a city is swapped and then having to wait for them to mobilise etc. Last flood in Dublin they say couldn't be predicted but it seem to take a long time into the flood to get them mobilised.

This wouldn't have helped them either...

[Image: 6279840304_293b2debc3_z.jpg]
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Would it be correct to say a flood relief scheme was installed (looking at the walls) and the frames the "laths" sit into are fixed in place already?
(22-03-2012, 08:48 PM)command_support Wrote: Would it be correct to say a flood relief scheme was installed (looking at the walls) and the frames the "laths" sit into are fixed in place already?

i take it you are talking about the pic i posted. no flood defense/relief along there other than a pool built under the museum at collins barracks.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Am I being unfair, or does anyone else thing that no one including the civil defence themselves are too sure of what their role is??
from an outsiders view, who has had some involvment with CD people i think they are trying too much to be front line ES. They should focus AFS on ways that will really help Fire, flood relief etc. Also welfare service im sure would be welcome to many an ES person at a long incident. im also a little unsure of where their boats fit into place

there casualty service has slotted in along with the other vols into the role of covering local events and being there if needed.
Those who can, do.

(22-03-2012, 09:38 PM)foreign Wrote: i take it you are talking about the pic i posted. no flood defense/relief along there other than a pool built under the museum at collins barracks.
Sorry Foreign i was wondering about the south tipp pics! would want to be a big pool to take the volume of water in your picture.

@ Brigade: the flood response role or in general?
Agree should with some of what you're saying as to where their focus should be.

Flood and bad weather are a feature of life now, they have lots of kit and willing people but I don't see the point in waiting till all else is used up before calling them which will take time to mobilise.

Being trained and equpied for flood prevention, extreme weather support, welfare, misper searches makes sense to me.

Not sure on the need for heights rescue, have seen top range climbing equipment but what purpose?
(22-03-2012, 09:44 PM)Brigade Wrote: Am I being unfair, or does anyone else thing that no one including the civil defence themselves are too sure of what their role is??

There probably is a few too many areas in the Civil Defence and maybe they could do with letting a few things go. For example, Radiation monitoring. Although I'm not if too many counties still do it! There is some fantastic equipment out there and I think there role should be modernized.
(22-03-2012, 10:11 PM)vidar Wrote: . im also a little unsure of where their boats fit into place

As a Coxswain with civil defence i can safely say are boats play have played and will continue to play an essintial role. as floods mentioned above our boats are used with paddles or with a member walking pulling it along search and evacuating people.
CD boating crews do be called by gardai in times of missing persons and other incidents on the water and do be called into assist by the coastguard who have overal control of the water.

CD boating crew also assist at community events like raft races and national events like slane concert.

i have been on searchs were our county has been called into assist other counties in missing persons.
I have also been on many recovery operations 2 since december and our boat crews have always been welcomed in the county and have had people personnaly thank us in searching for a loved one for instance.
thats makes a bit of sense lad cheers
Those who can, do.