This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Galway Waterways Patrol
Anybody hear anything or know anything about this group?

They were supposed to set up in Galway ages ago if I recall, similar to what they do down in Wexford & in Limerick etc. regarding suicide patrols... They have a Facebook page "Galway Waterways Patrol".
They seemed to be going well at one point with all the services involved - now it looks like they have a 'loose cannon' of a Chairman, cos all he does on facebook is slate the other rescue services and the mayor because it never took off?

Just curious why it didn't happen, was asked by a friend.
Thanks
corcaigh laochra na cathrach
I think their biggest mistake was not consulting an already established FB page 'Galway Suicide Watch'

It seems they tried to go one better and failed miserably
It boils down to the City Council not wanting anyone risking their lives patrolling rivers etc from what I hear.
No patrols taking place by either body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there actually a need for such a service in Galway?! You never hear reports about the river there being overly busy.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
I thought it's a regular enough event there?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
Apparently it is a very REGULAR occurance up there, I have a mate who's a Super and it can be rampant sometimes, especially with students.
There was 8 in 4 weeks mid-2015..... Plus theres STILL a lad missing up there at the moment, since 3 weeks before christmas...

Regarding the "Galway Suicide Watch", well that doesn't exist.
A lad set up the FB page one night after one of his friends was recovered, with all good intentions to do something about it.
The 'Galway Advertiser' FB page (80K+ Followers) plugged his page so he got like 10K followers overnight.
After about 3 weeks, he packed it in & dissapeared. No response to PMs, no posts, nothing. Nobody even knows who he was.
The page is still there, but hasn't been touched in nearly a year now.

Regarding the current group 'Galway Waterways Patrol', I heard now that the guy running it had 'political motives' - and as a result all the EMS have backed away and won't have anything to do with him. He seems to put the odd rant up on the FB page every now & again.
Tis an awful shame, because by the look of it they had uniforms and clothing etc. already donated by businesses.
corcaigh laochra na cathrach