This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Undergraduate BSc Paramedic Studies UL
http://www.ul.ie/gems/sites/default/file...016_17.pdf

UL are starting a BSc in Paramedic Studies, applications through the CAO (for school leavers and mature students). At the moment is looks like ambulance placements will be in the UK. 

I think this is a positive development, especially as up to now, paramedic training was restricted to NAS & DFB. Also, the availability of an honours degree (at direct & practitioner entry) helps strengthen the position of paramedicine as a profession. 

What do others think?
4 years full time to get to Paramedic? Am I missing something?
That's the phecc standard for BSc in paramedic studies...  In reality it's only one full year in college followed by placements and distance learning.  The interesting thing is that the placements are in the UK.  Will this lead to HCPC registration and if so,  AP registration off the back of it,  isn't too far off.  It will be interesting to see if they get interest in the course given the UK element.  It's a real shame they couldn't get placements with NAS
Itll be the norm

Direct entry BSc. Like it is for nursing. Few years time it'll be the only way into HSE I'd say. Youd do your placement with them and come out as an AP after. Like the UK

My one and only reservation is, having gone through the nursing programme....anyone can apply get in and get the degree....but mightnt necessarily be the right person for the job

Whereas now a lot of those people are weeded out in aptitude tests, interviews or by in house training staff

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Seems to be no mention of AP anywhere on this though after 4 years, and as mentioned above, 3 years Paramedic BSc degree in the UK leads to a HPC paramedic qualification, seems to be a big mismatch in qualification outcomes.
It's important to note that in the UK, most of the 3rd level programmes are 3 semesters a year.  So there is no summer break.  A two year programme over there would be a traditional 3 year model over here.

Currently, the two year (full time) programmes and the pre-reg period are enough to register with the HCPC.   This is due to change in 2017 when the 3 year programmes will become the norm.  

Under PHECC education and training standards for a higher education programme, you would need 6 semesters and a two year internship to get the NQEMT-AP.  I think PHECC need to pare back the requirements if the 3rd level institutions want to push for AP.  In time I see the HSE perhaps hiring Pre-reg Advanced Paras for the last year of an internship. 

But, yea, massive disappointment to only come out with a NQEMT-P.  What are they going to do in the UK as students?  UK Students over there will be cannulating and working with a wider range of medications.
Dear all, it is evident by posts here and in other forums that considerable misinformation is out there re the BSc currently provided by UL. As Course Director can I set the record straight please?

There are two elements to a Paramedic degree 1) the license to practice i.e. the PHECC License and 2) the academic qualification i.e. the honours degree. The current programme will graduate students with both, if you 'just' want a job stick with the vocational route, if you want to see the profession mature into a true healthcare profession and be part of it........ - no peer group (nursing,OT,PHYSIO etc) will even look at you without a degree. 

UK placements have been chosen as the exposure for potential students is far higher, more diverse, and with an established mentorship programme. patient exposure is estimated at 10 plus jobs per shift with much greater cultural diversity.

Questions have also been asked about why we do it this way and this is an irish solution, I would however state we have in my opinion a world beating programme unequaled anywhere in the world....as proof our Sept 2016 intake has students from UK Services, German Services, South African Services as well as students from the States - speaks for itself! If anyone looks you will also see we are part of a Medical School and not a Nursing School as in the UK.

Essentially my only wish is to ensure forum members get the correct information - this is needed for anyone to make up their mind....the link http://www.ul.ie/gems/para takes you to the website for definitive data.

Thanks mark d
Thanks for the clarification Mark
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(18-07-2016, 07:38 PM)The Gap Wrote: Thanks for the clarification Mark

Your welcome - can I also add a word of warning for anyone trying to measure the Irish system against the UK. be very careful where you undertake your training in the UK there are currently 37 programmes - some at foundation level degree, some at BSc, some at BSc hons etc and just as many funding schemes with no overall governance at State level. What people need to ask is what is the ECTS credit value......this is the currency of third level education and I would not go anywhere near a degree valued at less than 240 ECTS credits.

Hope that helps some of you consider foreign study...
That's very interesting (& important) information regarding ECTS credits.

I noticed the UCD MSc EMS (Advanced Paramedic) is only 30 ECTS credits. How does that compare with similar masters programmes?
(20-07-2016, 11:48 AM)Florence_N Wrote: That's very interesting (& important) information regarding ECTS credits.

I noticed the UCD MSc EMS (Advanced Paramedic) is only 30 ECTS credits. How does that compare with similar masters programmes?

Again difficult to compare as it's the only MSc by research - 1 ECTS credit equates to 20-25 hours study but this does not mean 20-25 hours classroom time. If you ask for the module guide for any University programme you will see the hours and credits awarded.