This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Garda reserves
Just a quick one, is a reserve required to be permanently resident in the state?
Quote:Can a citizen from any country join?

Applicants to join must: -

Be a national of a European Union Member State, orBe a national of an EEA State or the Swiss Confederation, orBe a refugee under the Refugee Act, 1996, orHave a period of one year's continuous residence in the State immediately before 1 September 2005 and, during the 8 years immediately preceding that period, have had a total residence in the State amounting to 4 years. (Periods of illegal residence or residence as an asylum seeker do not count in the qualifying 5 year period).

Doesn't say you have to be continuously resident when accepted.
Do full time? I don't think so. I know a few resident across the border!
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(04-04-2016, 06:48 PM)Kevin Wrote:
Quote:Can a citizen from any country join?

Applicants to join must: -

Be a national of a European Union Member State, orBe a national of an EEA State or the Swiss Confederation, orBe a refugee under the Refugee Act, 1996, orHave a period of one year's continuous residence in the State immediately before 1 September 2005 and, during the 8 years immediately preceding that period, have had a total residence in the State amounting to 4 years. (Periods of illegal residence or residence as an asylum seeker do not count in the qualifying 5 year period).

Doesn't say you have to be continuously resident when accepted.
Including a Chief!!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Don't think so, I know of one who works full time in ES in the UK, and commutes back and forth  a couple of times a month.
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
Knew an inspector in met that commuted from Spain to work

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Wonder, how many reserves really attend, and go the 208 hours, where I am, about twenty percent turn up.
Still good to see reserve s marching in the 1916 Easter parade.
I have always felt that reserves (in my patch anyway) aren't turning up at times when they are needed most; weekend nights.

It would do wonders for perception amongst the full time because it's only when it gets really hairy that the extra man is very much appreciated and can quickly build acceptance even among the most anti-reserve.

On the other hand I can see why it's not a regular thing for everyone considering the hours and putting up with that crap in a voluntary capacity.
I would guess that maybe 30 % work over and above the requirement and maybe, again at a guess 60/70% make the minimum requirement. Therein lies a fundamental problem with the entire thing, if you don't have a substantially valid reason for not completing the requirement then the Reserves involved should be dismissed. End of. This allows room for applicants, some of whom have been waiting up to three years to get in. I personally believe that the original (10%) of full time member figure has gotten far too tight given the level of full time members.

The Depot tows the line saying the farm is at capacity with full time recruitment, but I don't understand how that can ring true on the basis that the College was in the middle of 300+ phases for the first few years of Reserve recruitment and there didn't seem to be a 'Capacity' issue.
(06-04-2016, 08:37 AM)alwaysone Wrote: The Depot tows the line saying the farm is at capacity with full time recruitment, but I don't understand how that can ring true on the basis that the College was in the middle of 300+ phases for the first few years of Reserve recruitment and there didn't seem to be a 'Capacity' issue.

There are some accommodation blocks closed due to asbestos.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
The initial induction / basic law / human rights etc could be completed in District/Divisional Headquaters on a regional basis. Then send them down to the college for Asp/Cuff/Self defence/OC Spray, although that could be done externally aswell if needs be, same as refresher courses here in the DMR. 

I still can't see a reason for the recruitment being frozen other than the percentages being out of kilter.
Why get rid of the people who are disenfranchised with their lot, a..dismissing them , does what good.?
Copy good practice from what's happening over in other jurisdictions, say the Uk.
As for people trying to get in, most who do, don't last a year.imo.
Some might be "disenfranchised" but I'm sure most who don't fulfil the minimum are lazy. If they have no interest get rid of them and get people in who are proactive. If in 12 months they turn out to be lazy? Get rid of them too. 

If I had my way there's a few goons I work with who would be out the door.....it's the same in every job.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(06-04-2016, 09:30 PM)westcoastboy Wrote: Why get rid of the people who are disenfranchised with their lot, a..dismissing them , does what good.?
Copy good practice from what's happening over in other jurisdictions, say the Uk.
As for people trying to get in, most who do, don't last a year.imo.

Disenfranchised & not being arsed are two different animals. There was a scramble of 'not arsed' lads & lassies in our district to make up minimum hours when the Reserve stream was introduced ! Why the mad scramble ? If they had of been proactive in the first place then there would no issue. I'm not for dumping people out at the drop of a hat, but there has to be some commitment on behalf of the people who get in.
Can't believe that there are only about 850 reserves out there, only 20% claim their €1000, by doing their 208 hours, I was told by a Cig...