Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naloxone
Just looking at some brochures recently for pre-filled IN doses

https://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocu...615000.pdf

I’m trying to reconcile the 1.8mg dose these deliver with the 0.8 allowed for EMTs on current CPGs? Both are repeatable PRN, but the prefilled unit is intended for layperson use.

I also see that in the States some Narcan IN applicators intended for civilian use are 
4mg.

So is the PHECC approved dose therapeutic?
It's licenced for use in Ireland alright.

It wouldn't bother me too much what dose to use. The only problem with giving 'too much' is that they go cold turkey and can kick off a shit-storm.

For me, the best dose is enough to keep them breathing but asleep. It's all about having a quiet life. PHECC can be quite conservative / restrictive in some dosing regimens.

Paramedics / APs can repeat 400mcg IV/IM/SC to a total of 5 doses or 2mg. That would be roughly equivalent to 4mg IN.
Email: echo59@esforum.org            PGP key: AF7C8C3B 
This post has been repped by: civdef (4), EMTeabreak (4),

(03-08-2018, 01:30 AM)echo59 Wrote: It's licenced for use in Ireland alright.

It wouldn't bother me too much what dose to use. The only problem with giving 'too much' is that they go cold turkey and can kick off a shit-storm.

For me, the best dose is enough to keep them breathing but asleep. It's all about having a quiet life. PHECC can be quite conservative / restrictive in some dosing regimens.

Paramedics / APs can repeat 400mcg IV/IM/SC to a total of 5 doses or 2mg. That would be roughly equivalent to 4mg IN.

ECHO would it be normal in hospital to give 2mg IM straight if patient down for long period of time with no previous administration?
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Usually not. We'd normally have IV or even IO access or would use the IN route perferentially.

Also the formulation we have is 400mcg/mL so to give 2mg would be 5mL of fluid and that's too much to give as an IM injection to one site.

Would probably give only 400 or max 800mcg in one go.
Email: echo59@esforum.org            PGP key: AF7C8C3B