Poll: Should it be an offence to film/photograph Gardaí?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
13.33%
2 13.33%
No
86.67%
13 86.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should Filming Gardaí Be Banned?
Simple question, do you think it should be an offence to film or photograph members of An Garda Síochána during the course of their duties?
www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

www.facebook.com/emergencysf
I don't think it's possible to enforce and the perception of such a ban is probably counterproductive.

All Gardai should be wearing Body cams at this stage for their own protection. I'd say the amount of bullshit complaints to GSOC would half within a month if video evidence was used immediately to refute them
Be easier to make it an offence to name or identify a garda save in an criminal investigation or court proceedings. Take all the pictures you want I couldn't care less but identifying me publicly to ever nut is the problem.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"
As said, it's not realistic to enforce not would it be popular.

I never refuse a photo, I don't mind it too be honest and I have a few myself with cops when abroad.

I have rarely cared if someone standing near me records me either and it happens often enough but there's a world of difference between a person asking for a photo or simple recording out of interest from a reasonable distance and people ramming cameras in people's faces or following them while trying to provoke a reaction.

So in regards the law, I don't really think mentioning gardai is needed, a form of harassment legislation surrounding the activity and reasoning would do it. After all, if people started doing it to paramedics or teachers or shop staff I don't think it would be appreciated either. It's just not a nice thing to have done to you
Before contacting us, please read our Help section. Afterwards, you can contact me by PM or E-mail for further help.
Speaking from our profession, I don’t mind posing for pictures with the public or having photos taken with kids, visitors, etc.

We recently had a commercial fire, and the second we landed there was a sea of phones recording everything. I asked several people to stop filming me, and in fairness most did. It wasn’t nice having every move and decision made recorded for prosperity.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
That's my point. Follow any of these people to work and start recording them and see if they like it. I would be very confident there would be 100% complaints / requests to stop
Before contacting us, please read our Help section. Afterwards, you can contact me by PM or E-mail for further help.
Body Worn Cameras are the future.
In my opinion, its fine to let people photo or record you at work as long as you can do likewise.
The GS should capitalise on the success of "Police Stop" type shows and replace crimecall with garda recorded footage of people being asshats.
It would be more popular than the late late.
They are afraid to show the footage dirty.

There's absolutely fantastic footage in Garda hands from Garda CCTV, private CCTV, helicopter, phones and even professional crews but it will never be released because it would show Ireland as an aggressive, alcoholic bunch of scumbags who spends every day getting drunk, being pricks and punching the shite out of each other so much that it results in gardai getting battered or having to bate lads with batons or spraying em on a regular basis.

That wouldn't sit right with the bleeding hearts who think tickling is excessive force or management who would need to admit we are absolutely and completely overwhelmed and under resourced and that admission, will not a promotion make.
I think a ban would be stupid. It shows how out of touch the Representative Bodies are that they looked for it. 
They should have went full on after the water protests for legislation about identifying members personal details online. 

Personally I treat every occasion on the streets as if I am being recorded  just because you can't see a camera doesn't mean its not there. I don't care if people want to video me in public, I'm doing nothing wrong.
www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

www.facebook.com/emergencysf
(19-09-2018, 08:10 PM)Command Support Wrote: Speaking from our profession, I don’t mind posing for pictures with the public or having photos taken with kids, visitors, etc.

We recently had a commercial fire, and the second we landed there was a sea of phones recording everything. I asked several people to stop filming me, and in fairness most did. It wasn’t nice having every move and decision made recorded for prosperity.

Very simple then. Establish a cordon. Get them moved .Public safety and all that.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.