Garda Convicted of Dangerous Driving Causing Death
Garda convicted of careless driving causing death of elderly woman

https://jrnl.ie/4403654

Guys this is a very important case with major ramifications for all of us driving emergency vehicles. 

Remember it’s your license and you who’ll be standing in the box if anything goes wrong. No indemnity whatsoever.

I’m as guilty as anyone else, but why are we rushing anywhere if this is what will happen to us.

That poor man, what he must be going through. There are no winners in case, the deceased’s family have lost a loved one and a Garda doing his duty now has a conviction.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Holy Lord, this is massive. That poor lady and family to suffer a loss like this is horrific, but as rightly said, a 2.5 second decision made whilst driving to a distress call. I’m unsure what this will mean to the man doing a job and with no intent to hurt anyone.

If I was a member I’d never drive again. Accidents happen and that’s life but to jepadise your whole life for a possible mistake or accident is just not worth it.
"Choose to be great, choose to be powerful beyond measure"
Gardasupport
Supporting our Emergency Services FaceBook Page 
A jury of his peers has spoken. They represent our society as a whole when coming to their verdict.

Our society has decided that they do not wish our emergency services to respond to an emergency in a manner that may be hazardous to others irrespective of what that emergency is. Our society has also decided to convict and punish anyone who steps outside this boundary.

He was doing 6km per hour above the speed limit. Not only has he to live with the guilt of killing the poor woman he now also has to live with the knowledge that Irish society has seen fit to regard him as a criminal for his actions.

This has to be a game changer for anyone doing blue light driving.

Remember, we are getting the Police Force that the people want. Who are we to buck against this?
Exactly already spoken in the station that we'll only blue light it to assistance calls and confirmed armed calls nothing else.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"
After June 96 in Limerick, unarmed units stopped responding to panic alarms. 
It wasn't worth the risk.
Push the GRA into action. DFB Siptu personnel have already started voicing their concerns to their union and it's been raised at a management meeting today. The public either want emergency services or they don't, they can't have it both ways
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
I don't think anyone is looking to make us completely unaccountable for our actions when driving under blue lights. However there needs to be a distinction between completely and utterly reckless driving and a genuine response that is carried out in good faith in a responsible manner even if there is negative outcome.

The case we are discussing seems to me to be a genuine response without excess speed. There was a terrible outcome but there seems to be no cognisance made of the reason for the vehicle being there in the first place i.e a genuine emergency whereby the public required assistance.

Can the conviction for the Guard in question be appealed?
It's circuit Court conviction so can only be appealed on a point of law.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"
Add in that most drivers are only trained to level 1 and no one gives a shit. Draw your own conclusions on that but I for one will continue to WALK to calls or stop at traffic lights when in the car.

I know it goes against our basic instincts but as said above, society has decided thats what they want
Before contacting us, please read our Help section. Afterwards, you can contact me by PM or E-mail for further help.
(20-12-2018, 01:01 AM)The Gap Wrote: Push the GRA into action. DFB Siptu personnel have already started voicing their concerns to their union and it's been raised at a management meeting today. The public either want emergency services or they don't, they can't have it both ways

Surely there is a place for a step wise reaponse (for ambulances anyway) as per AMPDS triage? Do DFB ambos still* convey all patients to hospital on lights? Surely that would reduce the number of response drives. 

Id say 10 to 15 percent of my patients get a blue light response into ED. 

*correct me if i am wrong.