This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Fire department roll of honour
fireman Michael Liston

A FIREFIGHTER has described how he saw the bodies of a garda and a fireman being "propelled through the air" when they were struck by a car seconds after the two men had laughed and joked together.
A packed Limerick Circuit Criminal Court heard about the final moments of the lives of the two friends. Garda Brian Kelleher (46) and fireman Michael Liston (47) were killed at the scene of a double road accident at Barrigone, Foynes, Co Limerick, on February 25, 2007.
Emotional
Niall Shannon (20), of Lenamore, Ballylongford, Co Kerry, has pleaded not guilty to charges of dangerous driving causing the deaths of the garda and fireofficer.
In a hushed court yesterday, an emotional Eddie Murphy from Foynes fire station said he and his colleagues had gone to the scene of a car accident.
Judge Carroll Moran heard that a car being driven by Limerick student, Maura Griffin had overturned shortly after 4am. The driver raised the alarm at a nearby house.
Fire brigade personnel set up warning signs at either side of the accident scene on the N69 route.
Mr Murphy had returned to the overturned vehicle when he saw Gda Kelleher and Mr Liston together.
"They were messing and talking and joking like they normally were.
"They knew each other, they were friends, they were always chatting.
"They could have been talking about their children or the weather," he said.
Mr Murphy said: "I saw Brian Kelleher and Michael Liston getting struck by a car and being propelled through the air."
Mr Murphy said the 1994 Audi Coupe struck both the garda and the fireman. He said the car was coming straight for him and instinctively he turned to the ditch to avoid being hit.
"In the process, I got a belt. I thought it was the car, but I later realised it was Michael Liston hit me going through the air," he said.
"I tried to call him but there was no answer," Mr Murphy added.
Fireman Ian Behan, who was directing traffic on the Foynes side of the accident, said he heard a car coming towards him at speed.
He had to jump out of the car's path to avoid being hit.
Firefighter Sabrina McCarthy said the last time she saw Gda Kelleher and Mr Liston together, they had begun picking up personal belongings from the overturned car.
She had returned to the fire tender to get a radio and was on the top step when the open door was hit behind her.
"I looked out the windscreen; I saw a fluorescent high visibility jacket in the air.
"I saw a body in the air, it was moving," Ms McCarthy recalled.
"Eddie Murphy was on the ground and Michael Liston was on the wall.
"I started roaring for the ambulance at that stage," she recalled.
Severe
She said there was no response from Mr Liston. Gda Kelleher's body was further up the road.
Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis carried out post-mortems on both men.
Dr Curtis said they had died from "multiple catastrophic injuries consistent with a high speed vehicular impact".
Mr Shannon has also pleaded not guilty to driving with excess alcohol and driving with two bald tyres.
The trial continues.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Three separate investigations are underway following this morning's fire in Bray in which two fire officers died and another was injured. The Garda Forensic Unit, the Health and Safety Authority and Wicklow County Council will each carry out their own investigations into the blaze at a disused factory on Dargle Road in Bray.
The men, 46-year-old Brian Murray and 25-year-old Mark O'Shaugnessy, died when the roof of the building collapsed.
Both bodies have been brought to Loughlinstown Hospital where post mortem examinations will be carried out.
Supt Michael Lernihan told RTÉ News that a number of units of the Wicklow Fire Service had attended the fire, which started at around 10.30am. The Fire Service in Bray is manned by part time firefighters.
A technical examination will be carried out by local officers assisted by members of the Garda Technical Bureau.
President Mary McAleese has described the two part-time fire fighters as heroes who had made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the safety of others.
Mrs McAleese extended her sympathies to the family and colleagues of the officers.
The Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea has described the deaths as an appalling tragedy.
He expressed his sympathies and condolences to the men's families.
He also wished the injured fireman a speedy recovery.
Two books of condolences will be open tomrorow morning for the public to offer their sympathies to the families of the two firefighters who died.
The books of condolences will be in the offices of Bray Town Council and Wicklow Town Council from 10am.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Thousands of people attended the removal of 26-year-old part-time fire fighter Mark O'Shaugnessy this afternoon in Bray, Co Wicklow.
Mark O'Shaugnessy and his 46-year-old colleague, Brian Murray were killed last Wednesday as they battled a fire in a disused factory in the town.
The centre of Bray came to a standstill today as people stopped to pay their respects.
Shops and businesses in the town were closed this afternoon.
1936 3 firefighters killed in an explosion:

Fireman Robert Malone- a veteran of the 1916 Rising who had served as a Lieutenant with “D” Company 3rd Battalion at Bolands Mills Garrison, under Eamon de Valera. He left a wife and child behind.

Fireman Thomas Nugent- who was engaged to be married

Fireman Peter McArdle- who left a wife and seven children

[attachment=236] [attachment=237]

1884 Dublin Firefighter John Kite killed on duty by a collapsed building
1994 Firefighter Tim Horgan

killed in a rta when responding to a call in an Ambulance