This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Ambulance emergency to chipper
Quote:They were hungry and didn't give a shit ...

That's the one I'd go with.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
Have they actually broken any law though?? Does the legislation differ between statutory and private agencies .
And, even though I doubt it, anychance they didn't realise they were going up a one way street??
I must admit though, a bit of formal guidance wouldn't go astray and stop this kind of lark.
Couple of months ago I was out for a walk and was passed out by the local CD ambulance on blues and twos who it turned out were on their way to the morque with a body recovered from the river.
Musnt have been the freshest body I suppose.
from what i know they did brigade theres some law i heard of that AGS can prosecute ES personnel who abuse the lights cause it comes down the lines of dangerous driving cause to be honest you are putting other road users lives at risk when you do stupid stuff like drive the wrong way up a one way street so that u can go chipper.

like it depends if as smurse said you are on duty and you have a casualty then u need blue lights / and like certain dutys like horse racing and the one i was on yesterday with 5 or 6 transports in the space of 40 mins with all 3 ambo's gone and matches still going on u need to use the lights to get back ( like yesterday our ambo went with 2 girls both with concussions and one getting sick at the time they went to beaumont hospital and leaving the crew with no ambos cos the 3 were gone that as soon as the last ambo went we had 6 patients waiting for either drugs or transport to a&e )some times we got to use the lights but yes there is way to much abuse of the lights and siren , I know of certain organisations using their light to just get to the duty instead of just making sure they had enough time to get there , something has to be done like a proper course or just prosecute the people who do it and that should stop drivers and make them think about pushing the button for the lights if its not necessary

and sparky it depends on the company some work 24/7 if the transfer calls come in before 9 pm and others have out of hours numbers for crews that are on call
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(25-09-2011, 01:21 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: from what i know they did brigade theres some law i heard of that AGS can prosecute ES personnel who abuse the lights cause it comes down the lines of dangerous driving cause to be honest you are putting other road users lives at risk when you do stupid stuff like drive the wrong way up a one way street so that u can go chipper.

like it depends if as smurse said you are on duty and you have a casualty then u need blue lights / and like certain dutys like horse racing and the one i was on yesterday with 5 or 6 transports in the space of 40 mins with all 3 ambo's gone and matches still going on u need to use the lights to get back ( like yesterday our ambo went with 2 girls both with concussions and one getting sick at the time they went to beaumont hospital and leaving the crew with no ambos cos the 3 were gone that as soon as the last ambo went we had 6 patients waiting for either drugs or transport to a&e )some times we got to use the lights but yes there is way to much abuse of the lights and siren , I know of certain organisations using their light to just get to the duty instead of just making sure they had enough time to get there , something has to be done like a proper course or just prosecute the people who do it and that should stop drivers and make them think about pushing the button for the lights if its not necessary

and sparky it depends on the company some work 24/7 if the transfer calls come in before 9 pm and others have out of hours numbers for crews that are on call

If there are that many patients needing "drugs" then there is a problem and maybe you need a doctor on site not just ambulances. Also that many transports one has to prioritise and see about waiting with a casualty if more are coming.

Using lights to get back from a hospital to a duty, would not like to defend that action in court. And yet again why not call the statutory if its that bad and needing resources.

Suppose we are off topic from the original post but hey its a healthy debate and does follow. I have seen privates abuse the blues and twos, some for the thrill, some for speed, some because of management pressure. Either way its abuse, simples!
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
i understand what ur saying ap but the point i was trying to make is that sometimes it is necessary to use the lights on our ambos and im not trying to say there is not abuse of the blues and twos going on i know their is and i think its not right
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
I have absolutely NO problem in the use of lights if it's warranted Bobby, none at all. But I think APs point is very valid. If you have that many people awaiting transport are they being triaged at all? Have they all being assessed by a Doctor and deemed to need transport to a hospital? If they have, fair enough. If they haven't, then I think you need a Doctor there badly.

It'll save on transports, pressure on A&E etc, etc. If you need to use lights and sirens to get back to the venue then that's a lot of pressure and you need a dig out from the DFB/HSE. I'd also like to say fair play to yourself and Smurse, it takes a lot of dedication to do it all for free, and I'm not having a dig. I have huge respect actually.

Where I have a problem is Vols going back to a race etc on lights because all racing has to stop. That's only putting the medics and public at risk because the organisers won't fork out moola for extra cover.

Don't lose your license over someone elses greed.
I totally agree. Responding on lights & or sirens back to a duty is downright irresponsible, dangerous & unwarranted. Any vol org driver that does so should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law !!!!.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(25-09-2011, 12:43 PM)Brigade Wrote: Have they actually broken any law though?? Does the legislation differ between statutory and private agencies .

Under the road traffic act, while exempted from a large amount of offences the driver of an ambulance is liable to prosecution for the following sections of the act:

51a: driving without due care and attention
52: careless driving
53: dangerous driving
49: drunk driving
50: drunk in charge

there are one or two others too. But this applies to all ambulances, also fire and gardai.

(25-09-2011, 05:07 PM)irish medic Wrote: I totally agree. Responding on lights & or sirens back to a duty is downright irresponsible, dangerous & unwarranted. Any vol org driver that does so should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law !!!!.

And i have to argee with IM and AP, im on a vol myself too and I would not let any of my lads drive too an event on blues. I have had it myself, ambulance gone to hospital and you get another patient. You either call HSE / DFB if their that serious or wait and treat on scene, i would have little hesitation in prosecuting any amb driver that acted the maggot and used lights without cause
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
I have to say Bobby I agree with the lads here, if the pt required an ambulance to return on lights and noise then you needed to get on the phone and get DFB/HSE out........if they weren't emergencies then ambulance returns at normal traffic conditions.

Also again....where in the article does it say they used blues?????
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
It didn't Smurse. And I figured it out when you asked the first time too! As the rules of the Forum state, threads will probably go off topic.

I believe it may have gone a little off topic, but because of the natural progression of a conversation it hasn't gone off on a tangent.
(24-09-2011, 10:29 PM)irish medic Wrote: Fire the prick !!!!. Sick & tired of seeing ambulances from the same company abusing the privilege of blue lights & sirens.

I've never seen a ******** 4x4 travelling without blue lights on. And I've seen them blue light it to hospital to drop off a granny who just walks in the hospital door unaided. Two ******** 4x4's passed me on motorway with blue lights on today.
I've seen that too mate. Shocking & disgraceful conduct. Owner should be ashamed
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(25-09-2011, 08:08 PM)MRX Wrote: It didn't Smurse. And I figured it out when you asked the first time too! As the rules of the Forum state, threads will probably go off topic.

I believe it may have gone a little off topic, but because of the natural progression of a conversation it hasn't gone off on a tangent.

I know that MRX.

Yea they do, I'm just trying to ensure the case isnt made out to be something its not thats all.

Also cheers for the respect you mentioned earlier didnt get a chance to thank you then.

The reason we get involved in the vols is a varied as the people in them, for me its a way of learning and getting experience that'll hopefully one day help me when going for a fulltime EMS position. Main thing is enjoyment though, friends, craic, buzz, satisfaction etc.

But alas it is the nature of the beast we will always get uniform carriers, wannabe's etc people who are about as useful as tits of a bull, cocky as hell, know damn all about shag all and want to be seen in a hivis jacket in an ambulance with blue lights on. We can't stop it, we can only try and control it.

I just hate the few influencing the opinion of many.

JUST CALL ME PROBIE
One of the additions to the Road Traffic (Lighting) Regulations (SI 342/1996)

was the addition of the following paragrap to the bit about blue lights:

Quote:“(9) Where a vehicle equipped with a lamp in accordance with article 52(18) is used in a public place, the lamp may only be used -

(a) if necessary in the circumstances,

So if the use is not necessary in the circumstances an offence has been committed by using the lights. Presume getting chips won't cut it.

(The same wording applies to SI 340/2006 about sirens.)

Anyone know if there have been any prosecutions?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0342.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0340.html

(25-09-2011, 08:30 PM)gdamedic Wrote: I've never seen a ******** 4x4 travelling without blue lights on. And I've seen them blue light it to hospital to drop off a granny who just walks in the hospital door unaided. Two ******** 4x4's passed me on motorway with blue lights on today.

Seen 2 private ambulance Discoveries on the M50 this evening on lights, close to each other, assume they were on an organ transfer or transfer of staff for a harvest, sad news but good news for someone. So say they were fairly genuine.

But there have been numerous times seeing one jeep flying blues & twos with just one person in the vehicle
(25-09-2011, 09:40 PM)civdef Wrote: One of the additions to the Road Traffic (Lighting) Regulations (SI 342/1996)

was the addition of the following paragrap to the bit about blue lights:

So if the use is not necessary in the circumstances an offence has been committed by using the lights. Presume getting chips won't cut it.

(The same wording applies to SI 340/2006 about sirens.)

Anyone know if there have been any prosecutions?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0342.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0340.html

But according to that, you can't have a blue light at a height below 1.27m, wouldn't that make nearly every ES vehicle in the country non compliant??
"
(iv)       no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp shall be less than 1.27 metres from the ground, "

(25-09-2011, 08:48 PM)theSmurse Wrote: But alas it is the nature of the beast we will always get uniform carriers, wannabe's etc people who are about as useful as tits of a bull, cocky as hell, know damn all about shag all and want to be seen in a hivis jacket in an ambulance with blue lights on. We can't stop it, we can only try and control it.

I just hate the few influencing the opinion of many.
I have to agree smurse, I have been in a couple of voluntary organisations occupied with people just like that, they want any excuse to use the blues and twos. Sadly as you say there are always the one or two that spoil the broth .
You Don't Hate Me, You Hate That You're Not Me
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq6C0MaMDuzOOFzwg-zMa...WYntLrS5ML]
(26-09-2011, 05:45 PM)Brigade Wrote: But according to that, you can't have a blue light at a height below 1.27m, wouldn't that make nearly every ES vehicle in the country non compliant??
"
(iv)       no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp shall be less than 1.27 metres from the ground, "

1.27m is 4' 2" so i don't think light bars are all grnad, unless ye've got so very small tenders 148
but ya wing blues and grills hmmm interesting?
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
And what's the story with customs and excise? Thought they couldn't use blues, but I saw on an old episode of Customs, their Nissan jeep with a full blue lightbar??
(26-09-2011, 06:30 PM)vidar Wrote: 1.27m is 4' 2" so i don't think light bars are all grnad, unless ye've got so very small tenders 148
but ya wing blues and grills hmmm interesting?

Are any of the motorbikes lights above that height?