This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Cardiac arrests
Interesting piece online now but hypothermia seems to be the way to go for cardiac arrest management http://www.ems1.com/ems-news/1176536-new...out-pulse/

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!

Just the latest gimmick which will have no effect in Ireland due to the lack of first responder response, public access defibrillators and the length of time it takes to get an ambulance to the scene.
Is it not in for APs/Ps already here? or at least being taught to current Paramedic Students?
Hypothermia treatment shouldn't be difficult in our climate....
From memory wasn't it the Russians who came up with that?
(04-11-2011, 09:44 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: Interesting piece online now but hypothermia seems to be the way to go for cardiac arrest management http://www.ems1.com/ems-news/1176536-new...out-pulse/

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

good piece AP
God bless, EMS
Russians have been doing it and the hypothermic treatment been implemented for AP's/Para's here is only for ROSC. Nothing if the patient is in cardiac arrest. In some places they have a jacket and hood system in place for cooling the patient at the same time as providing care
New CPG's indicate active cooling for CFR-A's post ROSC, get the ice packs in the arm pits, groin and abdo but nothing for during the arrest.
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
All very well having the CPG, but as we don't even have cold packs the only cooling option would be to open the back door.
do NAS ambos not stock ice packs ?
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
We do have ice packs and they are available to order also. All you need is 3 at a minimum and it'll work fine. If not cold fluid packs can be substituted and will be better than nothing.
(09-11-2011, 08:54 PM)999nobody Wrote: All very well having the CPG, but as we don't even have cold packs the only cooling option would be to open the back door.

Strip them off, not the old thing of "recovery position, pop a blanket on them and keep them warm". You should ideally have ice packs but we can only work with what you got
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Ambo,
Some areas do, some don't. Alot of misnomers when it comes to the "national" ambulance service.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(11-11-2011, 12:27 AM)irish medic Wrote: Ambo,
Some areas do, some don't. Alot of misnomers when it comes to the "national" ambulance service.

The list is long and distinguished. It doesn't just very from county to county but station to station it seems
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
That it does. Was told 2 wks ago that paras in the south still are not using supra glottic airways only opa's !!!!
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(11-11-2011, 01:15 AM)irish medic Wrote: That it does. Was told 2 wks ago that paras in the south still are not using supra glottic airways only opa's !!!!

That's a joke! Even we're starting to roll them out with the new CFR-A CPG's, para's have been allowed use them since CPG 3 were first published right?
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Yep, personally use the LT tube instead.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(11-11-2011, 11:49 AM)irish medic Wrote: Yep, personally use the LT tube instead.

We can only use the uncuffed version, so the iGel and for adults only.

In reality I know I'll probably never use one for real so the simpler it is the better. Just another tool in the armoury
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
As theSmurse said! We used to carry out post ROSC cooling, it's the same principal. It worked too from what I remember! It was about 5 yrs ago now, used to carry loads of ice packs in a cool box on the motor! And stick them in the arm pits and groin! Worked until you got to the hospital and they'd look at you like you was mad and remove all te ice packs and warm them back up!! 16