This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Calling 112
Had my first experience calling 112 over the holidays. Happened apon my neighbors house burning and had to make the call.

Overall I was happy with the professionalism of the dispatchers. The scary part: having to give directions. Really? C'mon Ireland. Time for post codes or something. I feel for us ES workers trying to find shit! Ridiculous.

That said, the Thomastown FD did an amazing stop. Still they shouldn't have to depend on a "blow in" for shitty directions!

Thoughts?
"I hid behind my work. Never had time is what I said. Never took time is what I did."
-Dr. K. Brackett
You'd know ye were a blow in.

It's easy to give an exact location.

Sure wasn't it the first turn right past Mickey Joe's barn that burnt down in 1967. Everyone knows that.

Just an observation, had cause to dial both 112 and 999 in the past two weeks in North Co Dublin to an RTA on the M1.

Both calls failed (at least 2 attempts with each number)

Then used the GF's phone (on a different network) and got though immediately.

Have complained to my service provider who are investigating.

Anyone else heard of a "certain network" failing?

PM me if ya want.

LPP
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
(12-01-2012, 01:00 AM)aMbOoLaNcE Wrote: Overall I was happy with the professionalism of the dispatchers. The scary part: having to give directions. Really? C'mon Ireland. Time for post codes or something. I feel for us ES workers trying to find shit! Ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Not bad at all when you consider you were talking to someone who's in Townsend St. and most likely wouldnt know Thomastown from a hole in the ground !

I'll pass on your nice comments about the call takers. It's rare enough they get any positive feedback, especially from Kilkenny.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Not sure what the procedure is for other services but I really don't like the way calls are passed over to the gardai. The 112 call taker puts the call through to us and then say the call centre they are passing over from and then read out the callers number. Callers regularly butt in talking over the operator not knowing what's going on. I think it's totally unnecessary and wastes valuable time especially when the number is already displayed on the phone. I think the old system of just passing the call straight through made a lot more sense.
agree kevin, any time i ring 999 for ambulance i hate the way you get transfered and hello fire and ambulance, and they the operator starts this transferring from 08........

Last few times iv heard the cal taker going getting a bit pissed off and going kinda ya ya that grand thanks now please shut up. Its alright if you know whats happening, but if you were in a panic you'd just start talking over them
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
That's fine for ye Kevin, but as regards NAS control in my region, the callers number doesn't come up on the phone hence BT will say their mantra
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
They are getting well paid for it. BT get €3.35 for every emergency call answered. Source
(12-01-2012, 02:12 AM)Kevin Wrote: I think it's totally unnecessary and wastes valuable time especially when the number is already displayed on the phone. I think the old system of just passing the call straight through made a lot more sense.

Thats not the case for ERCC, there are no caller details displayed.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(12-01-2012, 01:53 PM)The Gap Wrote: Thats not the case for ERCC, there are no caller details displayed.

Problem solved 148
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png
Jesus BB, i remember my parents having one of those about 20 years ago 19
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
My favourite one turn left/right at the 4 crossroads!
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Have rang 999 twice.

1st for the Fire Brigade - which was for an oil spill. Women in control was grand , and the boys were out in abour 12 mins.75

2nd for the Ambulance - Which was for a family member with sever abdo pain, gave them lad in control all the details, directions the lot. Yet the boys got none of the info other than women with abdo pain in certain housing estate. There is 100 houses and a few different roads. I knew the ap and the crew and they were saying its fairly common not getting much info off control. First class service tho 22

D/O.
@LPP yeah same happened to me took a turn pressed the emergency number caller on my phone bang rings 911 and it worked weird 16
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(13-01-2012, 07:25 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: @LPP yeah same happened to me took a turn pressed the emergency number caller on my phone bang rings 911 and it worked weird 16

Were ya in America at the time ?
nope in dublin
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(13-01-2012, 09:41 PM)999nobody Wrote: Were ya in America at the time ?

999 911 and 112 rings the Emergency services in IRELAND,
God bless, EMS
i knew about 999 and 112 never knew 911 worked seems some phones like mine are programed for 911
(13-01-2012, 10:10 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: i knew about 999 and 112 never knew 911 worked seems some phones like mine are programed for 911

Strangely enough, years ago I was messing with my first Nokia and dialled 08 and got through to the emergency system!
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
Quite a few mobiles are pre programmed with all emergency numbers for all countries. I have no idea why they work in each country . I think i heard that there is an international agreement on it or something.
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png