This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Assaults on Emergency Services
I don't know why anyone would do door work Ballast! Seems like far too much risk!
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
(26-04-2012, 01:13 PM)Ballast Wrote: At least ye get compo (even if it is just a token) and get a court hearing (sometimes) In the 7yrs of workin security I have not once bein compinsated or had the pleasure of taking someone to court for assaulting me and I've had teeth bust in, bittin, bottled, attacked with baseball bats, cracked ribs, dilocated thumb and alot worse that I'm not gonna talk bout here, and all I ever got was, was a talkin too of my boss for being too rough or for not calling for back-up or the guards fast enough70 The last assualt left me €3000 out of pocket and I have perminant nerve damage in my gums cos of it.

Does management in the venues you worked in discourage/ strongly advise against / practically forbid pursuing criminal / civil action or? If so Is it over fear of it affecting their license or of negative PR or both or?
Quote: I don't know why anyone would do door work Ballast! Seems like far too much risk!
Needed the mula!! Ye all know how it goes, and ya the risks are beyond a joke!

Quote: Does management in the venues you worked in discourage/ strongly advise against / practically forbid pursuing criminal / civil action or? If so Is it over fear of it affecting their license or of negative PR or both or?

The last place I worked Yes, the owner would contact anyone who assaulted one of us and tell them that the cops might be in contact and to stay low for a bit, come back in a few weeks and say sorry and then he'd leave um back in136
The company I worked for before that our supervisor was on the ball when it came to assaults etc.
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
Gardai are attacked on street by ‘agitated’ Limerick motorist
Published: 28 April 2012

Maurice Boddy
A COUNTY Limerick man who threatened to “beat the s***” out of gardai before assaulting three members of the force has been sentenced to eight months imprisonment.

Boddy, 32, was before the court on a range of charges including assault causing harm, two counts of assault, and engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in a public place at Tullybrackey, Bruff on November 13 last.

Inspector Paul Reidy of Henry Street garda station told the court that on the date in question at approximately 2.30am Garda John Curtin and Garda Annette Courtney were on patrol in the area of Tullybrackey, Bruff when they observed a Toyota Avensis parked on the roadside.

The court heard that there was no insurance or tax disc displayed on the vehicle and when Garda Courtney informed Boddy that the vehicle was being seized for having no tax the defendant became “very agitated and aggressive” and began making threatening remarks towards the gardai.

“As Mr Boddy became more agitated he began making drives at the gardai,” said Inspector Reidy.

Inspector Reidy said that during one of his drives forward, Boddy swung and struck Garda Curtin on the right side of the face, hitting him at eye level. The court heard that Boddy then demanded that he be driven home and continued “taunting” the gardai to take him on.

The court heard that Boddy threatened Garda Curtin that he would take the baton off of him and beat him.

“He said that he would “beat the s*** out of both gardai”,” Inspector Reidy told the court.

Inspector Reidy said that Boddy became verbally abusive towards Garda Courtney calling her “derogatory terms”.

The court heard that Boddy proceeded to drop his trousers and was displaying himself to passing traffic.

Gardai from the traffic corps were called to give assistance and when they arrived at the scene Boddy again assumed an aggressive stance on the roadway and began taunting the gardai “to come and get him”.

The court heard that as the gardai approached the defendant with batons drawn, he swung a punch at Garda John Marsh and struck him on the side of the face before being tackled by gardai.

The defendant was brought to Bruff garda station and was subsequently arrested and questioned in relation the matters.

Defence solicitor Sarah Ryan said during the course of interviews, her client apologised to the gardai for being abusive. Ms Ryan said that her client said he did not intend to strike any of the gardai.

Judge Mary O’Halloran sentenced Boddy to six months imprisonment for assault causing harm on Garda John Marsh. He was sentenced to two months, consecutive, for assault on Garda John Curtin and was sentenced to two months, consecutive to the six months, for the assault on Garda Annette Courtney.

Boddy was sentenced to one month imprisonment, concurrent, for engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour. He was sentenced to one month imprisonment, concurrent, for a further charge of engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour.

He was disqualified from driving for a period of two years and fined €600 for driving without insurance.

Charges of no tax, failure to produce a certificate of insurance and intoxication in a public place were taken into consideration.

Recognizance was fixed in the event of an appeal.

A full version of this court report appeared on the Limerick Leader dated April 28.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

[Image: SARGE300_zpsb3d5acad.png]
Wonder what the story was there? Why wasn't he pepper sprayed?
Probably cause the mules didn't have it with them. I know a banner who doesn't carry her radio baton or spray
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

i can never understand that about mules, one of the lads i work with brings his radio asp and spray but then leaves them in his hat on the back of the car the whole time. even at a call
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Never get that and these are the people who give out about not having gear

(28-04-2012, 01:56 PM)vidar Wrote: i can never understand that about mules, one of the lads i work with brings his radio asp and spray but then leaves them in his hat on the back of the car the whole time. even at a call

What the Fuck. This isn't the 50's like!
Without your gear your just a liability.
(28-04-2012, 01:37 PM)silop10 Wrote: Probably cause the mules didn't have it with them. I know a banner who doesn't carry her radio baton or spray

I can better that 44 .... mule and banner in my station never carry radio, baton, spray or stab vest.... i've heard every excuse under the sun from them why they don't carry them.
Stab vest not been comfortable is the banners excuse!!

Somebody get her the fashion police!!!!!!!!!!!!
........"its not our area"
the amount of lads that wont wear the vest amazes me!
Those who can, do.

Is your insurance not void if you are not wearing supplied PPE?
not sure, but wouldnt be surprised
Those who can, do.

(30-04-2012, 04:02 PM)Blue Light Wrote:
(28-04-2012, 01:37 PM)silop10 Wrote: Probably cause the mules didn't have it with them. I know a banner who doesn't carry her radio baton or spray

I can better that 44 .... mule and banner in my station never carry radio, baton, spray or stab vest.... i've heard every excuse under the sun from them why they don't carry them.
Stab vest not been comfortable is the banners excuse!!

Somebody get her the fashion police!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough it's not comfortable, but it was hard fight to get them took Garda to get stabbed to get them issued.
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
The most valuable bit of kit is common sense. In rural areas the guard is often on his own with backup at least 15 minutes away. So you must approach any call cautiously, but a local member will often know the people involved personally and be able to deal with it. Closing the small stations isn't going to help. Also you are known in or out of uniform, and will be expected to deal with things in or out of uniform. I'll admit that I don't always wear the vest during the day, but I always have with me in the car. It goes on if we get a call, and is always worn at night. The kit belt is like the seat belt in the car, I feel naked if I don't have in on.
Always wear my vest. It is the one piece of kit that might actually save my life.

Female garda hospitalised in ramming incident in Tullow

A FEMALE garda was pinned between two cars when the patrol car she was in was rammed on Saturday night.

Gardaí in Tullow were carrying out surveillance on a vehicle which was linked to a possible assault in Baltinglass when the incident occurred at approximately 10.30pm.

Two female gardaí had observed the unoccupied 2002 silver Seat Leon in the town earlier in the night.

When the suspects returned to their vehicle, the gardaí followed them to the Mill Court apartments where the two men were trying to gain access to the gated estate.

When gardaí arrived at the scene, the driver of the car pushed past one of the officers before reversing the car at speed and trapping the other garda’s foot underneath the car.

According to Sgt Peter McConnon, the garda’s foot was “trapped between the under-sill of the car and the ground”. The garda suffered injuries to her foot and was treated in St Luke’s Hospital following the incident.

“The car had to be jacked up to release her but there was no break,” admitted Sgt McConnon.

Two men, from Tullow and Dublin, were arrested after the incident. They were later released and a file has been sent to the DPP.

The driver of the car has been charged with criminal damage to the patrol car. A section of the road was closed off for a number of hours after the incident.

(02-05-2012, 09:44 AM)silop10 Wrote: Female garda hospitalised in ramming incident in Tullow

A FEMALE garda was pinned between two cars when the patrol car she was in was rammed on Saturday night.

Gardaí in Tullow were carrying out surveillance on a vehicle which was linked to a possible assault in Baltinglass when the incident occurred at approximately 10.30pm.

Two female gardaí had observed the unoccupied 2002 silver Seat Leon in the town earlier in the night.

When the suspects returned to their vehicle, the gardaí followed them to the Mill Court apartments where the two men were trying to gain access to the gated estate.

When gardaí arrived at the scene, the driver of the car pushed past one of the officers before reversing the car at speed and trapping the other garda’s foot underneath the car.

According to Sgt Peter McConnon, the garda’s foot was “trapped between the under-sill of the car and the ground”. The garda suffered injuries to her foot and was treated in St Luke’s Hospital following the incident.

“The car had to be jacked up to release her but there was no break,” admitted Sgt McConnon.

Two men, from Tullow and Dublin, were arrested after the incident. They were later released and a file has been sent to the DPP.

The driver of the car has been charged with criminal damage to the patrol car. A section of the road was closed off for a number of hours after the incident.

Hopefully there will be an assault charge on the way also.
(02-05-2012, 10:41 AM)major skidmark Wrote: Hopefully there will be an assault charge on the way also.

Yes there better be
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
Suspended sentence for assault on garda
Published: 04 May 2012

0 comments
A MAN received a five-month suspended sentence at Kilkenny District Court last week for an assault at the Kilkenny Garda Station in December 2010.

The court heard that Denis Clowry of 37 The Orchard, Old Golf Links Road, Kilkenny had been brought to the garda station on December 20, 2010 for questioning about an incident on Rose Inn Street that night.

When he was being release from the station, he became “abusive” towards a garda and “lashed out and struck him in the face,” the court was told.

Clowry’s solicitor, Michael Lanigan, told the court: “On the night in question, (the defendant) reacted to a situation on the street where he had witnessed a man hit a woman, and he identified all of that to the gardaí. He had taken umbrage at what he had seen happen and he had intervened, and admitted to the gardaí that when this person had gone to hit him, he got his retaliation in first.”

“He went to the garda station and it has to be said he was upset at the idea that he was the one who had ended up at the station,” Mr Lanigan said. “He had a few drinks taken and his head wasn’t as clear as it should have been.”

On the way out of the station as the defendant was being released, he engaged in a verbal exchange with a garda, the court heard.

“He pushed Garda Clifford away, which was a nonsensical thing to do as it was witnessed by three members of An Garda Síochána,” Mr Lanigan said. And with the defendant “having got some further expletives off his chest,” the gardaí thought the best thing to do was to get him out of the station, and he went home.

The court heard that the 25-year-old is currently serving a sentence and is due for release in June.

“He would recognise that he perhaps has anger issues to deal with,” Mr Lanigan said.

Judge John Lindsay sentenced the defendant to a five-month suspended sentence and probation bond of €300.

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on google Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email
Comments (0)

Top Stories