This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Civil Defence
One of the big causes for confusion is that because CD is organised on a local authority level, its roles vary from county to county. This is generally based on locally perceived requirements and history.

This means, for example, in on county you will have an active CD boat unit and in another you won't.
(23-03-2012, 01:10 AM)civdef Wrote: One of the big causes for confusion is that because CD is organised on a local authority level, its roles vary from county to county. This is generally based on locally perceived requirements and history.

This means, for example, in on county you will have an active CD boat unit and in another you won't.

Yea the lack of consistency of the role doesn't help, south tipp are doing preventive flooding others aren't out until cars are floating down streets.

Is there a national standard of training or does it vary from county to county? The Dublin crew have a massive amount of trucks on the quays.
(22-03-2012, 10:15 PM)command_support Wrote: Sorry Foreign i was wondering about the south tipp pics! would want to be a big pool to take the volume of water in your picture.

@ Brigade: the flood response role or in general?

In general, is it not a bit all over the place???
Suppose it is. What direction it had under the board will be lessened going back under the DOD. Each county does its own thing and standards of training, delivery of service varies wildly.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
My county for example.... Fire is done as a token bit of training. Just the essentials every now and again.

Heights rescue, we don't bother our arse. Water - big time, our boat unit is fairly busy throughout the year with calls too.

Ambulance, very busy year round. 5 ambulances on go.

Open land search and rescue, do a bit.

Jeeps are used with bad weather assistance to front lines. Every county varies as mentioned. There are some counties I'd never join.
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(24-03-2012, 01:09 AM)Scuba Wrote: My county for example.... Fire is done as a token bit of training. Just the essentials every now and again.

Heights rescue, we don't bother our arse. Water - big time, our boat unit is fairly busy throughout the year with calls too.

Ambulance, very busy year round. 5 ambulances on go.

Open land search and rescue, do a bit.

Jeeps are used with bad weather assistance to front lines. Every county varies as mentioned. There are some counties I'd never join.

Seems a good use of resources Scuba, what do the boats get called to?

Don't see the heights rescue thing, a lot of training and expensive equipment that needs to be replaced regularly for what use?
(24-03-2012, 01:09 AM)Scuba Wrote: Jeeps are used with bad weather assistance to front lines. Every county varies as mentioned. There are some counties I'd never join.

There is one county that shares it both engine with its 4x4.... deadly seroius.

They bring boat on trailer towed by the jeep, get on to the slip, take battey out of the 4x4 and put it in boat and same again when boat comes in 148
(24-03-2012, 08:07 AM)Sporty Wrote: Seems a good use of resources Scuba, what do the boats get called to?

Don't see the heights rescue thing, a lot of training and expensive equipment that needs to be replaced regularly for what use?

The boats, as you can probably guess, get called out mainly for the body recoveries. Alot of inland water where i am and a decent coastline. So we are out a fairbit!

The heights is something that quite a few counties dont do alot with. We gave away alot of our kit to other units. We have a kickass mountain rescue here so no need for us.

(24-03-2012, 03:12 PM)Blue Light Wrote: There is one county that shares it both engine with its 4x4.... deadly seroius.

They bring boat on trailer towed by the jeep, get on to the slip, take battey out of the 4x4 and put it in boat and same again when boat comes in 148

Nothing would surprise me!
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(24-03-2012, 03:12 PM)Blue Light Wrote: There is one county that shares it both engine with its 4x4.... deadly seroius.

i know of a welfare unit that some time back dished out cheese sandwiches with the plastic still on the easi singles....
So, after numerous emails, and only getting one reply of who I should email, I still have heard nothing back.

Is it cuz' I iz, white??

How hard is it to respond to an email? Not like I'm going in with no knowledge of anything.......
Fancy wearing red 148
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(25-06-2012, 12:20 PM)Deefer Wrote: So, after numerous emails, and only getting one reply of who I should email, I still have heard nothing back.

Is it cuz' I iz, white??

How hard is it to respond to an email? Not like I'm going in with no knowledge of anything.......

Is it Waterford CD your joining?
“The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.”
― Albert Einstein
(25-06-2012, 12:37 PM)Hooch Wrote: Is it Waterford CD your joining?

Nah, have tried Cork CD. Got one email back, emailed them, nothing back.

Vidar, red is great, brings out my eyes. ( after a long weekend, like )
Don't bother with emails, phone calls, carrier pigeons or whatever. Just find out when the training night is and turn up.
(25-06-2012, 03:14 PM)civdef Wrote: Don't bother with emails, phone calls, carrier pigeons or whatever. Just find out when the training night is and turn up.

Yeah, maybe. I'll be in Wilton from next week anyway.........
(25-06-2012, 12:39 PM)Deefer Wrote: Vidar, red is great, brings out my eyes. ( after a long weekend, like )

Well RC would love a good bass player! Im not sure if your place has a unit but can make enquires if you wish
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(25-06-2012, 03:18 PM)vidar Wrote: Well RC would love a good bass player! Im not sure if your place has a unit but can make enquires if you wish

As last post says, I'll be in Wilton from next week dude. RC?
Deefer! Sorry I was wondering hi it was I was talking to about this, when I updated the phone all my messages went from tappatalk do I didn't know who I'd been talking to. I rang one of the lads I know in the city unit, about two months ago at this stage and he said that next recruitment was scheduled for after Christmas but that's for people with no experience coming in... I'll get you the phone number of Veronic Ford, the Assistant Civil Defence Officer for the city and pm it to you tomorrow. Sorry again about delay!
If I can't eat it, ride it, break it or drive it, then I'll ask myself "do I really need it?!"
(25-06-2012, 03:36 PM)Inspector Gadget Wrote: Deefer! Sorry I was wondering hi it was I was talking to about this, when I updated the phone all my messages went from tappatalk do I didn't know who I'd been talking to. I rang one of the lads I know in the city unit, about two months ago at this stage and he said that next recruitment was scheduled for after Christmas but that's for people with no experience coming in... I'll get you the phone number of Veronic Ford, the Assistant Civil Defence Officer for the city and pm it to you tomorrow. Sorry again about delay!

She sent me an email for someone else.

September is the earliest she will give me forms. I'll just have to wait 148
Really? In that case, and I don't usually knock CD as I'm a fairly active member still down home but I'd say go red if that's her attitude!!!!
If I can't eat it, ride it, break it or drive it, then I'll ask myself "do I really need it?!"