This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Military Police
Anyone gardai here ever had any interaction with military police in the course of their duties? Would the MP be involved if an incident involved a member of the defence forces?

Also would there be any link between them and the gardai in things such as training?

[Image: 5700454545_85522a5bdb_z.jpg]

Irish Defence Forces Military Police Mitsubishi Pajero 4X4
Military police enforce dept of defence act.
They have less burden of proof for investigations and some great catch all rules, e.g. Conduct unbecoming of a member of defence forces.... Punishments- decided by commanding officer, no probation reports, long drawn out cases etc.

Very little interaction with Gardai. If defence force member gets in trouble they should really be referred to mp's rarely happens though. Gardai will be called in for all serious incidents, e.g suicides, killings etc. Just because their role is more aimed at wartime senarious.
Oh right, its just that i was watching on night cops or a similar programme, how the MP patrolled the streets at night in town centres where there was a military presence, or at port towns where a navy vessel may be docked. Suppose it wouldn't occur here due to low numbers.

Assume the an MP powers are confined to military personnel?
I'd have regular enough interaction with MP's I've a barracks in the district I'd know a handful of them at this stage from helping them with different things. A new occurrence is seeing them on the beat in high viz military police marked jackets carrying asp and cuffs.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.
(21-08-2012, 10:24 AM)whitewater Wrote: I'd have regular enough interaction with MP's I've a barracks in the district I'd know a handful of them at this stage from helping them with different things. A new occurrence is seeing them on the beat in high viz military police marked jackets carrying asp and cuffs.

Really? Ive never seen that. Is that at night mostly?
No tends to be during the day very little movement from.the barracks at night.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.
They also provide a uniformed, armed presence at Leinster House as seen during the O'Snodaigh incident.

[Image: 2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc0453713d175...1d1b07.jpg]
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Wasn't there a piece in the papers recently regarding the mp's conducting speed checks on military vehicles on Dublin streets. They had pictures of their motorbikes etc. The article also stated that it was being run in conjunction with AGS & a specific operation targeting speeding etc (could have been the may weekend I'm thinking of)
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
We interact with them alot as we often have to deal with soldiers out on the beer. I trained with a few of the lads and some of them have gone on to do scenes of crime courses etc with AGS.

The ASP and handcuffs aren't that new, our p.a.'s had them back in the day they are more regularly seen in barracks with a lively mess!

An mp can do speed checks on military vehicles anywhere really, you'll also see them alot on the N7 close to the curragh.
This is a court of Law young man! Not, a court of Justice.

Disclaimer: The above is the authors personal opinion and does not represent the values, teachings, policy or opinion of my employer do not take it as anything other than the authors opinion.
Plain clothes MP's and unmarked cars is one of their latest idea's?

Other military forces have plain clothes cops & unmarked vehicles so I dont see why not.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
I've seen this around a fair bit going in for nights lately. Also saw them at Pearse St station early one Friday or Saturday morning.

Attached Files Image(s)

http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
(21-08-2012, 11:07 AM)Tactimule Wrote: They also provide a uniformed, armed presence at Leinster House as seen during the O'Snodaigh incident.

[Image: 2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc0453713d175...1d1b07.jpg]

Did that Gardai durning the incident get medal, he deserved it
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
Quote: Other military forces have plain clothes cops & unmarked vehicles so I dont see why not.

There are a few around, just not alot. I've had to deal with a few when on camp's etc.
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
They go around wearing suits and driving an unmarked mondeo, to say they stand out like sore thumbs in the barracks is an under statement.

(29-08-2012, 01:42 PM)whitewater Wrote: They go around wearing suits and driving an unmarked mondeo, to say they stand out like sore thumbs in the barracks is an under statement.

There army CID aren't they, seen a black unmarked mondeo in cork with black plate on it
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
(29-08-2012, 04:48 PM)pogan Wrote:
(29-08-2012, 01:42 PM)whitewater Wrote: They go around wearing suits and driving an unmarked mondeo, to say they stand out like sore thumbs in the barracks is an under statement.

There army CID aren't they, seen a black unmarked mondeo in cork with black plate on it

There's a few of those mondeos around, their horse unit have one too
Tbh don't see what the issue is with having plain clothes mp's. To me we're playing catch up to what other countries have had for years.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(29-08-2012, 06:56 PM)irish medic Wrote: Tbh don't see what the issue is with having plain clothes mp's. To me we're playing catch up to what other countries have had for years.

Exactly, plain clothes bluffers shouldn't just confine themselves to AGS
Every policing organisation needs them!!
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
(29-08-2012, 05:38 PM)thehawk Wrote: There army CID aren't they, seen a black unmarked mondeo in cork with black plate on it
There's a few of those mondeos around, their horse unit have one too
[/quote]

Most of the Mondeos are used for transporting senior officers i.e. GOC and above. Though I had a few pictures of the Mondeos but I can not seem to find them. I have only ever seen MPs in FFR's or on bikes.
To be honest I never seen MPs in plain clothes.
Where there is no guidance, a nation falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety (Proverbs 11:14)
For by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory (Proverbs 24:6)

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media & incomptent managers, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of excrement by the clean end