This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Firefighters. Tonight, 8.30pm RTE1
Bullards. Let me guess who wants those trialled.
My Sky box had a technological fart and failed to record it!! 70
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(04-09-2012, 10:15 PM)MRX Wrote: My Sky box had a technological fart and failed to record it!! 70

Up now on RTE player:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10046145
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
Just watched it, thank you.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(04-09-2012, 09:49 PM)Maverick Wrote: Just to ask the lads in the DFB here... Is there not a standard issue helmet issued to the DFB members? Coz some were wearing the old type helmet on the parade at the start of the programme & others were wearing the new type helmet...???

Anyone requiring a helmet is issued the new style one.

Anyone that has a servicable old style one keeps it. If your helmet gets lost/stolen/broken/destroyed/condemned you end up with a new style one.

I guard mine with my life as i don't want any of that fancy new fangled shit!!
If you're trialling helmets the minimum any firefighters should be using are EN443:2008 Type B (3/4 Shell) to protect from side impact and radiant heat.Any brigade asking their staff to trial anything else obviously hasn't done a risk assessment on modern firefighting and rescue techniques. If they're anything like our shower they'll be trotting out the old chestnut of "sure it meets the standard" when they haven't the foggiest what the standard actually is.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(04-09-2012, 11:02 PM)Paulzx Wrote:
(04-09-2012, 09:49 PM)Maverick Wrote: Just to ask the lads in the DFB here...

Anyone requiring a helmet is issued the new style one.

Anyone that has a servicable old style one keeps it. If your helmet gets lost/stolen/broken/destroyed/condemned you end up with a new style one.

I guard mine with my life as i don't want any of that fancy new fangled shit!!

Cheers Paulzx for explaining! Are the old type better than the new ones??
Its a matter of opinion. I always find it amusing that relatively junior members manage to have a Cairns helmet even though they would never have been issued one. Trying a little too hard to look salty in most cases.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(04-09-2012, 11:42 PM)The Gap Wrote: Its a matter of opinion. I always find it amusing that relatively junior members manage to have a Cairns helmet even though they would never have been issued one. Trying a little too hard to look salty in most cases.

I was issued with a cairns. I certainly don't consider myself salty but have enough service not to be a red arse!!!19

Personally i prefer the Cairns. I find it more comfortable but this could only be because i'm used to it.

If i was to wear a different helmet for any length of time i'm sure i would adapt to it eventually
Watched it there brilliant well done DFB, make traffic blues like this would be unreal
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
Mmmmmm salty helmet.......
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Have to agree. The show came across very well. Enjoyed it!
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
Just home from work now and watching on Sky+ - That luas stop call, REALLY! She should have been arrested, not rescued!
Clear us there....that's a civil matter.
(04-09-2012, 11:48 PM)Paulzx Wrote: I was issued with a cairns. I certainly don't consider myself salty but have enough service not to be a red arse!!!19

Personally i prefer the Cairns. I find it more comfortable but this could only be because i'm used to it.

If i was to wear a different helmet for any length of time i'm sure i would adapt to it eventually

Same as myself Paulzx, wore a Cairns for years from the date i joined then got issued a Gallet, took about six months to get used to it but now I swear by it for the protection it offers.
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png
I've been visiting home for a few days and watched the first episode last night on RTE. Excellent stuff and great publicity for the work of DFB.

However.... I landed back on British shores this morning and checked RTE Player and Firefighters is one of the shows (like Fair City) that can't be viewed on Player outside of Ireland. Anyone know anyway of getting around this? I've a week to work it out before the next episode. Somehow I can't see the mammy sky +ing them all and minding them till Christmas! 04
Over to BB to solve this technical problem.,think you need some file that gives you an Irish I.P address!
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Just watched it there now, very good programme, much better than traffic blues. Saw a few familiar faces, mules and DFB
(05-09-2012, 12:54 PM)Command Support Wrote: Over to BB to solve this technical problem.,think you need some file that gives you an Irish I.P address!

I am sorry to say that it is almost impossible to get a working Irish proxy, especially one that is fast enough to stream RTE player.

You could look into this.

http://spys.ru/free-proxy-list/IE/

or this

http://www.iprivacytools.com/ip-address-ireland/
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png
Thanks Blackbolt! Anythings worth a shot. Much appreciated!
Not a problem 148
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png