This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Papper Spray is to Garda Taste
Originally By: Woodentop

GARDAI are "delighted" over their new pepper spray device which was deployed for the first time two weeks ago and used four times last weekend in the Dublin area to subdue young men acting violently.

The spray, made from compressed chilli powder, stopped four young men who had been acting violently towards arresting officers, with two immediately falling to the ground. A fifth young man who was said to be acting violently after taking drugs and drink required two doses of the spray to be subdued.

Gardai have been waiting for years for the spray which has been used by other police forces for more than a decade. It was to have been deployed last year but only reached gardai on beat duty recently.

Gardai have been experiencing increasing injuries arising from public order incidents where young men who have been using cocaine are acting increasingly violently towards gardai. Anti-stab vests, again in use for many years in other police forces, have also only been widely issued in the past year.

Garda sources in Dublin said the initial experiences with the pepper spray are very encouraging. "It's absolutely fantastic," one said. "It means you do not have to resort to your Asp [the garda's night stick]. When word starts to spread among the gougers, then I think we'll see a bit of behaviour."

A garda who has been supervising the deployment of the spray said its main advantage is that it is capable of subduing culprits without causing any injury other than temporary eye irritation which can be washed away with water at the station.

Gardai throughout the country are receiving instruction in the use of the spray. In one of the incidents in which two gardai used the spray last weekend to deal with youths involved in a serious affray the gardai were in a position where they were downwind from the youths and some of the spray blew back on them.

- JIM CUSACK

Sunday Independent
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.