This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Western Australia Police recruiting again 21/01/2013
Hi all,

Just came across something on the net. The Western Australian Police are recruiting current and former Gardai. Apparently you can carry over your service to their police force and you only have to do 12 weeks of training. And they pay you according to your service accrued with the Gardai.

Check out: http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au

It might be worth considering in the current climate. ;-)
In the details section is states that its open to ex or serving police who are residing in WA but dont you to have permanent residence

It does go on to say they may come over here or London in the future.

Based on that I don't think they will accept an application unless you have already entered Oz and have an address there.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Would it be a case of the will sponser you to work there and then you can apply for citizenship? Just thinking out loud, as there are alot of "pommy cops" over there and here.
The less you give a feck, The happier you'll be!!
At the moment its for people out there on temp entry visas who have police training or for Australians and new Zealanders with or without.

They seem to really struggle to fill the spaces from the local community
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(23-08-2012, 09:34 PM)Administrator Wrote: In the details section is states that its open to ex or serving police who are residing in WA but dont you to have permanent residence

Based on that I don't think they will accept an application unless you have already entered Oz and have an address there.

Yeah, the competition is open to UK police, the PSNI and the Gardai. But you have to be residing in Western Australia to apply... OR you can travel over to their academy for their 3 day application process. They allocate the 3 days (which is in September) to you by email. Only thing is, it will cost a fortune to go over there for the three days!! WAPOL will also sponsor you visa-wise, if u are accepted. They have a deal done with their Dept of Citizenship and Immigration.
(24-08-2012, 03:22 AM)Ballast Wrote: Would it be a case of the will sponser you to work there and then you can apply for citizenship? Just thinking out loud, as there are alot of "pommy cops" over there and here.

Yep, you have it in one.
(24-08-2012, 11:45 AM)Maverick Wrote:
(23-08-2012, 09:34 PM)Administrator Wrote: In the details section is states that its open to ex or serving police who are residing in WA but dont you to have permanent residence

Yeah, the competition is open to UK police, the PSNI and the Gardai. But you have to be residing in Western Australia to apply... OR you can travel over to their academy for their 3 day application process. They allocate the 3 days (which is in September) to you by email. Only thing is, it will cost a fortune to go over there for the three days!! WAPOL will also sponsor you visa-wise, if u are accepted. They have a deal done with their Dept of Citizenship and Immigration.

There's a snag there though, you can't enter the country for the purpose of trying to obtain employment unless you already have a working visa!

Of course you could always try anyway and make a holiday out of it.

It was mentioned before about this kind of thing, can you take a career break while doing this? Officially or not
Ballast, you should throw your hat in. Can only say no
Since management are trying to get staff numbers down I would have thought that giving members career breaks would be encouraged. Some will not come back and in 3 or 5 years time recruitment might be up and running again, so taking back someone who has the experience of policing in a different country could benefit AGS.
Or does that make too much sense??
It happened before but the last batch that went to oz were warned not to even bother trying to come back. I know of another lad who left, got back in but had to do the full training again
Typical small minded thinking of this country. Rather than thinking of what the organisation could gain begrudgery rules and decent mules are forced to choose between a one way ticket to oz and staying here unhappy.
Who decides whether you can get a career break or not? My sister took a year career break from a hospital to work a different job in another in this country. Is a career break an entitlement?
(24-08-2012, 01:37 PM)Administrator Wrote: Yeah, the competition is open to UK police, the PSNI and the Gardai. But you have to be residing in Western Australia to apply... OR you can travel over to their academy for their 3 day application process. They allocate the 3 days (which is in September) to you by email. Only thing is, it will cost a fortune to go over there for the three days!! WAPOL will also sponsor you visa-wise, if u are accepted. They have a deal done with their Dept of Citizenship and Immigration.
There's a snag there though, you can't enter the country for the purpose of trying to obtain employment unless you already have a working visa!

It was mentioned before about this kind of thing, can you take a career break while doing this? Officially or not
[/quote]

Yep Administrator, I see your point about the "snag". 16 But yeah, I've heard of a lad that left the AGS on a career break to join a police force in Australia 3 years ago. He got an awful lot of hassle from the powers that be, but he still got it. I think he has to decide this year whether or not he wants to return to AGS. But if that was me..... plenty of great weather, nice salary (Aus$70k starting off) and plenty of "Sheilas"... i know what I would do. 148 ;-)
(24-08-2012, 02:20 PM)major skidmark Wrote: Since management are trying to get staff numbers down I would have thought that giving members career breaks would be encouraged. Some will not come back and in 3 or 5 years time recruitment might be up and running again, so taking back someone who has the experience of policing in a different country could benefit AGS.
Or does that make too much sense??

Major Skidmark, that's not the way the AGS thinks. They see it as sort of a member "deserting" them. Even though it would improve that member's experience. But they don't see it that way! 04

Don't forget... "the AGS is the best police service in the world & has the best equipment". Ha! 56
(24-08-2012, 03:10 PM)Administrator Wrote: It happened before but the last batch that went to oz were warned not to even bother trying to come back. I know of another lad who left, got back in but had to do the full training again

Yeah, just goes to show the mindset of the AGS! 04
(24-08-2012, 10:59 PM)Shakin Wrote: Who decides whether you can get a career break or not? My sister took a year career break from a hospital to work a different job in another in this country. Is a career break an entitlement?

If it was state employment she was not entitled to take up another job within the country unless there are exceptional reasons.
You can have difficulties if your employer establishes that you worked while on a career break, it can be deemed a breach of contract and your employer may then issue you with a new contract, possibly with poorer conditions.
There is no obligation on an employer to give career breaks and strange as it may seem, all state bodies are currently very slow to grant career breaks.
(26-08-2012, 07:34 PM)Maverick Wrote:
(24-08-2012, 01:37 PM)Administrator Wrote: Yeah, the competition is open to UK police, the PSNI and the Gardai. But you have to be residing in Western Australia to apply... OR you can travel over to their academy for their 3 day application process. They allocate the 3 days (which is in September) to you by email. Only thing is, it will cost a fortune to go over there for the three days!! WAPOL will also sponsor you visa-wise, if u are accepted. They have a deal done with their Dept of Citizenship and Immigration.

Yep Administrator, I see your point about the "snag". 16 But yeah, I've heard of a lad that left the AGS on a career break to join a police force in Australia 3 years ago. He got an awful lot of hassle from the powers that be, but he still got it. I think he has to decide this year whether or not he wants to return to AGS. But if that was me..... plenty of great weather, nice salary (Aus$70k starting off) and plenty of "Sheilas"... i know what I would do. 148 ;-)
[/quote]

I'm with you, if they came to London and i am eligible its something i am going to look at closely
(26-08-2012, 09:48 PM)Brigade Wrote: If it was state employment she was not entitled to take up another job within the country unless there are exceptional reasons.
You can have difficulties if your employer establishes that you worked while on a career break, it can be deemed a breach of contract and your employer may then issue you with a new contract, possibly with poorer conditions.
There is no obligation on an employer to give career breaks and strange as it may seem, all state bodies are currently very slow to grant career breaks.

Ya she went from one HSE hospital to another...but never went back and she worked abroad for a year also and came back to her current job. I always thought it was easy to get...pity.
(27-08-2012, 12:07 AM)Administrator Wrote: I'm with you, if they came to London and i am eligible its something i am going to look at closely

I was talking to one of their recruitment staff by email. She says they expext to be in London in December of this year. I also advised her about coming to Dublin. ;-)
I'm definitely visiting London should they come. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and tbh it was always something I've considered since joining AGS.

Just to set things straight though -

Have two cousins in the HSE. Both were civil servants. They got career breaks within four months of applying and are both working in Canada happy as larry.

I contacted my Chief's office making an enquiry 'to go travelling'. Was told outright that management would fight such an application as there's so few boots on the ground.

Why didn't I stay as a pencil pusher in the CS instead of moving to this job? 09