This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Motorcycle "filtering"
Just wondering about your views regarding filtering and motorcycles using the bus lane? It seems to be a grey area.....
(29-11-2013, 01:07 PM)Psychcop Wrote: Just wondering about your views regarding filtering and motorcycles using the bus lane? It seems to be a grey area.....

Personally, re bus lanes I let them use it.

What sort of filtering?
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Personally I think they are not a bus and therefore shouldn't be in them. The amount of crashes I've seen where bikes and bus lanes are involved is too many. What really annoys me though is when I say it to them that they shouldn't be in there I get abuse back. And motorbikes in cycle lanes too is ridiculous.
(29-11-2013, 04:16 PM)thehawk Wrote: Personally I think they are not a bus and therefore shouldn't be in them. The amount of crashes I've seen where bikes and bus lanes are involved is too many. What really annoys me though is when I say it to them that they shouldn't be in there I get abuse back. And motorbikes in cycle lanes too is ridiculous.

Motorcycles in the cycle lane is just stupid and dangerous.

What about lane splitting and moving through stopped traffic?

When I did my motorcycle training they advised using the bus lane if it was the safest place to be.
(29-11-2013, 03:57 PM)foreign Wrote:
(29-11-2013, 01:07 PM)Psychcop Wrote: Just wondering about your views regarding filtering and motorcycles using the bus lane? It seems to be a grey area.....

What sort of filtering?

Filtering is moving through stopped or slow moving traffic via lane splitting.
(29-11-2013, 05:33 PM)Psychcop Wrote:
(29-11-2013, 03:57 PM)foreign Wrote:

What sort of filtering?

Filtering is moving through stopped or slow moving traffic via lane splitting.

Work away. I move over if I see one doing it.

as i use bus lanes when im on the bike as im going to filter and that is the safest place for me to do it. filtering comes down to the test of reason, i have seen some bikers "filtering" and it was more dangerous driving, but most bikers are fair about it
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Filtering as far as I can see involves a bike driving on the wrong side then either expecting you or oncoming traffic to move.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(30-11-2013, 01:51 AM)Administrator Wrote: Filtering as far as I can see involves a bike driving on the wrong side then either expecting you or oncoming traffic to move.

Well that would be more over taking if there is on coming traffic? That would usually be done coming up to traffic lights or roundabouts but only if it's safe to do so (if there are no other cars approaching)
I've no problem with filtering as long as it's done safely. I've done it often enough myself on the bike.

As for bus lanes I think motorbikes should be allowed use them. About 2 or 3 years ago a trial was carried out in London allowing bikes to use bus lanes. At the end of the trial there was slight improvement in traffic flows and collision stats, with no adverse effect on bus service. So the trial was continued with regular reviews. But then that's in the UK where driving standards are generally a lot better than here.
Yes but do they have 24 hour bus lanes but no 24 buses??
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Whenever in slow or stopped traffic I watch my mirrors like a hawk for bikes coming up either side. When I see one I move as much as I can to give them space. Most bikers will give you a wave or a leg lift to thank you for it.

Personally I think the bus lane is the safest option....until a car driver decides to dive in without checking mirrors but same can be said for a driver gettingt pissed off and throwing a quick u turn into the path of a bike passing on offside
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
That seems a strange blame game tea, the bike is not entitled to use the bike lane so why blame the car thats changing lanes?
(30-11-2013, 04:54 PM)Administrator Wrote: That seems a strange blame game tea, the bike is not entitled to use the bike lane so why blame the car thats changing lanes?

I don't see it as a blame game, every driver should use their mirrors and check to ensure any change in lane is done in a safe manner.
mbeire, proud to be a member of Emergency Services Forum.
And every driver should stay in their lanes instead of using the bus lane to undertake.
Regardless of the lane the law requires the person changing lanes to yield
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(30-11-2013, 05:06 PM)mbeire Wrote:
(30-11-2013, 04:54 PM)Administrator Wrote: That seems a strange blame game tea, the bike is not entitled to use the bike lane so why blame the car thats changing lanes?

I don't see it as a blame game, every driver should use their mirrors and check to ensure any change in lane is done in a safe manner.

And by having a larger lane to travel down the middle off as opposed to passing on the offside hugging close to other vehicles being less visible

I just think that them going down the middle of bus lanes would be safer that's all
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Today on the way too work while sitting in the right lane, which is a right turn only lane I and about 15 cars were overtaken by a bike who was in the wrong side. The car that was first then had to slam on as the bike veered left to get into the left lane as the prick was going straight.

Bikes should dit in the correct lane and wait their turn like everyone else.

Everything else is just excuses. No different to s car in the bus lane, cyclist in the path or a runner on the road.
(30-11-2013, 09:56 PM)Administrator Wrote: Today on the way too work while sitting in the right lane, which is a right turn only lane I and about 15 cars were overtaken by a bike who was in the wrong side. The car that was first then had to slam on as the bike veered left to get into the left lane as the prick was going straight.

Everything else is just excuses. No different to s car in the bus lane, cyclist in the path or a runner on the road.

Car driver's could also do with using the correct lanes and not dive in at the last minute.

(01-12-2013, 09:05 AM)foreign Wrote:
(30-11-2013, 09:56 PM)Administrator Wrote: Today on the way too work while sitting in the right lane, which is a right turn only lane I and about 15 cars were overtaken by a bike who was in the wrong side. The car that was first then had to slam on as the bike veered left to get into the left lane as the prick was going straight.

Car driver's could also do with using the correct lanes and not dive in at the last minute.

Oh I know. Seen it many times myself.

I'm just saying we've all been to motorcycle rta's. Whether they're in the wrong or the right the biker always comes off worst.....literally

Anything to improve road safety is good in my book
JUST CALL ME PROBIE