This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Motorcycle "filtering"
(01-12-2013, 09:05 AM)foreign Wrote:
(30-11-2013, 09:56 PM)Administrator Wrote: Today on the way too work while sitting in the right lane, which is a right turn only lane I and about 15 cars were overtaken by a bike who was in the wrong side. The car that was first then had to slam on as the bike veered left to get into the left lane as the prick was going straight.

Bikes should dit in the correct lane and wait their turn like everyone else.

Everything else is just excuses. No different to s car in the bus lane, cyclist in the path or a runner on the road.

Car driver's could also do with using the correct lanes and not dive in at the last minute.

Indeed but the thread is about bikes in the wrong lane.

I am merely pointing out that everyone should pay attention and stick to the rules then excuses wouldn't be needed at all.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(01-12-2013, 06:21 PM)Administrator Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 09:05 AM)foreign Wrote:
(30-11-2013, 09:56 PM)Administrator Wrote: Today on the way too work while sitting in the right lane, which is a right turn only lane I and about 15 cars were overtaken by a bike who was in the wrong side. The car that was first then had to slam on as the bike veered left to get into the left lane as the prick was going straight.

Bikes should dit in the correct lane and wait their turn like everyone else.

Everything else is just excuses. No different to s car in the bus lane, cyclist in the path or a runner on the road.

Car driver's could also do with using the correct lanes and not dive in at the last minute.

Indeed but the thread is about bikes in the wrong lane.

I am merely pointing out that everyone should pay attention and stick to the rules then excuses wouldn't be needed at all.

So you would you advise a motorcyclist to move into the bus lane if in heavy traffic moving at 80kmph with very heavy rain where cars won't allow you to maintain a safe braking distance as they will always fill the gap in front of you.

or

would you advise them to stay in lane take there chances? ( the big issue here is that a bikes stopping distance is more then a cars)

Out on the open road it's not a problem, but in dense fast flowing traffic its more dangerous so if a safer option can be taken that won't have an impact on traffic flow (buses) and was done in a safe manner I thinks better for everyone?
Thats the same argument for cars and where are these cars coming from that they can pull into the gap? It's single Kane traffic
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(01-12-2013, 07:05 PM)Administrator Wrote: Thats the same argument for cars and where are these cars coming from that they can pull into the gap? It's single Kane traffic

They are moving back into lane from the outside lane. I disagree regarding it being the same argument for cars. Cars have a better much better stopping distance and if there was an accident due to this a motorcyclist would be far worse off for obvious reasons, also cars would block up the bus lane.
(01-12-2013, 07:05 PM)Administrator Wrote: Thats the same argument for cars and where are these cars coming from that they can pull into the gap? It's single Kane traffic

Single lane traffic?
Single lane traffic as the bus lane is not available.

As for dangers, then don't get on a motorbike. I cycle to work, I don't use the footpath and then claim it's safer. If I want to cycle I use the cycle lane, thats my choice.

If you want to be safe AND use the bus lane, get the bus.
(01-12-2013, 08:19 PM)Administrator Wrote: Single lane traffic as the bus lane is not available.

As for dangers, then don't get on a motorbike. I cycle to work, I don't use the footpath and then claim it's safer. If I want to cycle I use the cycle lane, thats my choice.

If you want to be safe AND use the bus lane, get the bus.

Well if it's single lane with no bus lane you have no choice but to stay in lane. What's your point here? I'm talking about 3 lanes of traffic plus a bus lane with fast moving traffic.

You have a dedicated cycle lane why would you cycle on the footpath? it would be slower with more obstacles? your starting to contradict yourself. I used to cycle all the time when i was living in the city centre and the cycle lane is excellent.

Hence motorcycles using the bus lane. Your argument is making no sense topped off with "then don't get on a motorbike"
Where exactly has 4 lanes? The vast majority of roads are 2 lane: one for buses, one for all other traffic.

And most cycle lanes are painted on the road, they don't have magical forcefields stopping buses, taxis, illegal cars and motorbikes from hitting me
(01-12-2013, 08:49 PM)Administrator Wrote: Where exactly has 4 lanes? The vast majority of roads are 2 lane: one for buses, one for all other traffic.

And most cycle lanes are painted on the road, they don't have magical forcefields stopping buses, taxis, illegal cars and motorbikes from hitting me

N4 into and out of Dublin has 3 lanes plus bus lane in parts.

"And most cycle lanes are painted on the road, they don't have magical forcefields stopping buses, taxis, illegal cars and motorbikes from hitting me"

No there is no "magical forcefields" but it's safer! This is what the point of my arguement is.
What's safer? You in the bus lane or cycling on the path?
In one day I encountered the following..
Cars and motorbikes in bus lane, cyclists on footpath because the cars were driving too close to them in bus lane and people running on the road because there were cyclists on the path.
That's my point hawk, if everyone just abandons the rules to suit themselves we end up with a mess that's anything but safer.
So you still maintain a motorcyclist is safer in the conditions I described earlier to stay where they are and take there chances when there is a safer option?
It's not really just about the biker being safer, everyone is safer is people all drive where they are supposed to
The biggest danger to a motorcyclist on the road isn't the road or conditions, it's motorists that don't look or pay attention for them.

To filter the motorcyclist needs to be careful as motorists don't expect to see a bike coming against them or in between them in the case of a dual lane road
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
(02-12-2013, 10:39 AM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: To filter the motorcyclist needs to be careful as motorists don't expect to see a bike coming against them or in between them in the case of a dual lane road

Nor are they expected to. Your not supposed to filter nor travel against traffic. Your supposed to accept that your sharing the road with other road users and sit in traffic like everyone else unless theres sufficient space to travel along the side. Its the arrogant "I'm more important" attitude of bikers that pisses drivers off.

Your not more important, your safety does not supersede other road users rights and privileges on the road.

Psy,
You asked which is safer, travelling in the bus lane MIGHT be safer but your reliant on a set series of events and circumstances however I have very rarely seen a bike travelling slowly enough to be under or overtaken by a car which is the danger you refer to.

For my part, its safer to cycle on the path than the shared bike lane but its not safer for the pedestrians nor is it legal and that's my point, whats safer for me does not supersede the pedestrian. Your safety does not supersede other road users including buses and cyclists.

So my answer is, I don't agree with filtering or using the bus lane just like I don't agree when I see a cyclist on the path or slap bang in the middle of a lane blocking traffic.
(02-12-2013, 12:43 PM)Administrator Wrote:
(02-12-2013, 10:39 AM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: To filter the motorcyclist needs to be careful as motorists don't expect to see a bike coming against them or in between them in the case of a dual lane road

Nor are they expected to. Your not supposed to filter nor travel against traffic. Your supposed to accept that your sharing the road with other road users and sit in traffic like everyone else unless theres sufficient space to travel along the side. Its the arrogant "I'm more important" attitude of bikers that pisses drivers off.

Your not more important, your safety does not supersede other road users rights and privileges on the road.

Psy,
You asked which is safer, travelling in the bus lane MIGHT be safer but your reliant on a set series of events and circumstances however I have very rarely seen a bike travelling slowly enough to be under or overtaken by a car which is the danger you refer to.

For my part, its safer to cycle on the path than the shared bike lane but its not safer for the pedestrians nor is it legal and that's my point, whats safer for me does not supersede the pedestrian. Your safety does not supersede other road users including buses and cyclists.

So my answer is, I don't agree with filtering or using the bus lane just like I don't agree when I see a cyclist on the path or slap bang in the middle of a lane blocking traffic.

Thats why Blood Bike riders have to have an advanced certificate in RoSPA either silver or Gold to be part of the team, most people who practice the art of Roadcraft have an understanding of the road so they can navigate around or avoid obstacles, and filter correctly.
speaking a biker in the job only as I don't have my own/women won't allow me

I do filter alot, either up the middle of two lanes of stopped traffic or out around traffic again that is stopped.

Filtering around or between moving traffic is something I would never do or encourage. When in the patrol car or my own car I will always move or make room for a motorcyclist filtering.
........"its not our area"
Issue at times is traffic that is at a standstill are either too close to the left side of the road and cyclists or motorcyclists can't pass along there
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
(03-12-2013, 09:30 PM)Blue Light Wrote: Filtering around or between moving traffic is something I would never do or encourage. When in the patrol car or my own car I will always move or make room for a motorcyclist filtering.

Yes I agree this is very dangerous. There is one guy I see doing this every morning and it's only a matter of time before something happens.