This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

GARDA RECRUITMENT UPDATE
is it going live at 12 ?
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(12-12-2013, 12:43 AM)Shakin Wrote: Hope everyones registered on publicjobs by now

For the last 8 years! Is it possible for people to just log on say tommrow or Friday and apply or do they have to have registered their interest first?
Only guessing, but id say you would have to be registered by midnight tonight, could see it going live around midday tomorrow....who knows though!
only problem is im in a exam at 1 so hopefully its early
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
How do you register your interest? I've an email alert for the catagory?
Tis live

Quote:To be eligible for selection as a Trainee, an applicant must:

(1) Be of good character.

(2) Be certified by a Registered Medical Practitioner (nominated by the Commissioner after consultation with the Minister) to be of good health, of sound constitution and fitted physically and mentally to perform the duties of a member of the Service.

(3) Have passed a Physical Competence Test.

(4) Be 18 years of age but not yet 35 years of age on midnight of the closing date for the competition specified in the advertising campaign to which the admission relates i.e. closing date 9 January 2014, therefore you must have been born between 10 January 1979 and 9 January 1996.

(5) (i) Be a national of a European Union Member State; or
(ii) Be a national of a European Economic Area State or the Swiss Confederation; or
(iii) Be a Refugee under the Refugee Act, 1996; or
(iv) Have had a period of one year‟s continuous residence in the State on the closing date of the advertisement for the competition for the vacancy to which the admission relates, and during the eight years immediately preceding that period, has had a total residence in the State amounting to four years; or (v) Has been granted subsidiary protection, or is a family member of such a person, in compliance with the Admissions and Appointments Regulations 2013.

(6)

(A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level, or
(ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
(iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above.
AND

(B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such
assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.
Open till the 9th january?
However here is the kicker.

Quote:2. Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision)

Oh well. I'm out already. 6/36 here.
(12-12-2013, 01:14 AM)Shakin Wrote: Open till the 9th january?

Yep, they're not doing anything over the holidays I'd imagine.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/camp...ooklet.htm

The PDF with all the info.
Applied there, surprised its open that late, i was expecting online tests before xmas.

Programme Structure

The Student/Probationer training programme is delivered over 104 weeks leading to a BA in Applied
Policing. The initial period of 34 weeks which includes two weeks annual leave comprises of a block
period at the Garda College. The remainder of training takes place predominantly at selected Garda
Divisions with specific periods of tuition built in and annual leave included at specific times. The
programme will be delivered using a problem based learning approach. For the duration of the
programme and beyond, students enter a contract of employment with An Garda Síochána.

The modules studied are:
 Foundations of Policing
 Professional Competence I
 Crime & Incident Policing I
 Policing with Communities I
 Road Traffic Policing I
 Station Roles and Responsibilities I
 Officer and Public Safety
 Professional Competence II
 Crime / Incident Policing II
 Policing with Communities II
 Road Traffic Policing II
 Station Roles and Responsibilities II
 Professional Competence III
 Law and Procedures
 Policing with Communities III

No mention of ECDL, swimming or driving licence. But no mention of driver training, from the quick glance ive given it.

Pay and Conditions

Garda Trainees will receive an allowance of €184 per week for the 32 weeks leading to attestation.

On appointment to the Service, a Probationer Garda will be paid €23,171 rising by increments to a
maximum of €45,793 per annum after 19 years (October, 2013 rates). Members of the Service may
also qualify for other allowances.

Training allowance drops by €4.93, no mention of boot or uniform allowance and no mention of food or accom.

Salary after attestation drops €2,600 at the bottom and about €500 at the top.
Looks like they changed the educational requirements? No more foundation level subjects?

A level 5 major award, would a four year long apprenticeship cover that as that's a level 6?
(12-12-2013, 01:44 AM)Nokia02 Wrote:

A level 5 major award, would a four year long apprenticeship cover that as that's a level 6?
From FAS website

On successful completion of your apprenticeship, a FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate Craft is awarded. This is recognised Nationally and Internationally as the requirement for craftsperson status.
(12-12-2013, 01:50 AM)Shakin Wrote:
(12-12-2013, 01:44 AM)Nokia02 Wrote:

From FAS website

On successful completion of your apprenticeship, a FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate Craft is awarded. This is recognised Nationally and Internationally as the requirement for craftsperson status.

Don't think it's any good as you need a second language?
Yes you would need two. No word of rent allowance either....looks like they have made shit of the wages 04

I was given an exemption from the second language when I Joined the reserve as I'm dyslexic , so Im presuming that will still be valid
(12-12-2013, 02:02 AM)Nokia02 Wrote: I was given an exemption from the second language when I Joined the reserve as I'm dyslexic , so Im presuming that will still be valid

Hopefully! But I think it's different for the full time and you have to have the second language.

As I'm dyslexic I never had to do a second language while in school , iv been told I should be ok.
mark your dyslexia it should be ok
(12-12-2013, 02:19 AM)amboman bobby Wrote: mark your dyslexia it should be ok
ya I'll do that ,