This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Cork Search & Rescue
This is a new group that has set up in Cork looks like another great Voluntary group in the Making, its great to see up and coming voluntary groups who are here to help the people of Ireland.

They are always looking for volunteers to help them out.

[Image: CorkSearchampRescue.jpg]
What happened to the previous two? Cork River Rescue and Blackrock?
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
This post has been repped by: carav (1),

I often wondered what powers they'd have to restrain a person who was believed to be about to jump
(24-02-2014, 09:44 PM)thehawk Wrote: I often wondered what powers they'd have to restrain a person who was believed to be about to jump

Surely it's assault of some kind?
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Or false imprisonment?
(23-02-2014, 09:54 PM)Courier1 Wrote: This is a new group that has set up in Cork looks like another great Voluntary group in the Making, its great to see up and coming voluntary groups who are here to help the people of Ireland.

They are always looking for volunteers to help them out.

[Image: CorkSearchampRescue.jpg]

Will they only search for Cork people???
Surely if you can justify a reasonable amount of force to preserve life and prevent harm?
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Well if it's anything like a similar group I know of, any innocent joe soap walking across a bridge is considered a worthy statistic.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
Courier1, apologies if you have ties with this group, but from what I understand the foundation of this one may not have the best of reps
Like always, I have lots of questions 136

These groups a popping up all over the country. Why now?
The group near where I live, have nazzy high viz rain gear (no dry suits) and swift water rescue PFD not a life jacket, carry throw ropes, first aid kits and AEDs. What service/role are they providing?
What training do they receive? Have all members al least undertaken the ASSIST programme, water safety etc?
How do they link with professional services?
That group near sounds more like a CFR group Florence.
(25-02-2014, 10:44 AM)thehawk Wrote: That group near sounds more like a CFR group Florence.

They have suicide prevention written all over their high viz, gear and bikes. Patrol mainly Fri & Sat night. I have yet to see any evidence that these times are the highest for suicide or attempted suicide.
(25-02-2014, 11:15 AM)Florence_N Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 10:44 AM)thehawk Wrote: That group near sounds more like a CFR group Florence.

They have suicide prevention written all over their high viz, gear and bikes. Patrol mainly Fri & Sat night. I have yet to see any evidence that these times are the highest for suicide or attempted suicide.

Is that limerick? If so a bit of digging by myself and other ES show that the weekend is not hight time it's actually fairly spread out
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(25-02-2014, 09:09 AM)carav Wrote: Courier1, apologies if you have ties with this group, but from what I understand the foundation of this one may not have the best of reps

No m8 i dont but we all have to start somewhere, the same comes from other groups as we well know who dont like another group coming on to their patch so to speak, with the way the country is now anyone that want to volunteer their services should be welcomed with open arms.

live and let live i say 19
Be interesting to see what the cork harbour master has to say about it. Is there not enough cover for the river with fire, coast guard, rnli and civil defence?
(25-02-2014, 01:12 PM)Courier1 Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 09:09 AM)carav Wrote: Courier1, apologies if you have ties with this group, but from what I understand the foundation of this one may not have the best of reps

No m8 i dont but we all have to start somewhere, the same comes from other groups as we well know who dont like another group coming on to their patch so to speak, with the way the country is now anyone that want to volunteer their services should be welcomed with open arms.

live and let live i say 19

Fraid this isn't to do with another group coming on to anyone's patch, MRX I think is on the same wavelength as I am but not for open forum at all. Snazzy looking websites can tell any story 22
(25-02-2014, 02:29 PM)carav Wrote: Fraid this isn't to do with another group coming on to anyone's patch, MRX I think is on the same wavelength as I am but not for open forum at all. Snazzy looking websites can tell any story 22

Its easy to sling mud when sitting behind a computer as we all know, i dont want to go into things anyway as its nothing to do with me, but as we all know the more voluntary organizations the better in my opinion, it save money for the country by been self sufficient thats great.

As i say live and let live its much easier for everyone.
(25-02-2014, 04:59 PM)Courier1 Wrote: As i say live and let live its much easier for everyone.

While I agree with live and let live, certain of these search and rescue groups have caused problems in the past. Some do not follow instructions from the state emergency services and think they are above the law or they simply do not know the law. Some poke their noses in where they do not belong, some are so badly equipped and trained or no training at all that they become more of a problem that the original incident and what is a bug bear of just about every member of the state ES is that quite a lot of them use blues and twos which they are not entitled to do, this causes untold confusion for the public and since most of them are not trained or have any idea of the legalities of blues and twos are a positive danger on the roads.

Not saying this group are like that, I dont know if they are or not, but that is the history behind any negative comments coming from ES.
(25-02-2014, 07:27 AM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Surely if you can justify a reasonable amount of force to preserve life and prevent harm?

Check your own CPGs mate. Are you allowed to administer medical assistance to someone who refuses it or is it assault or are you only allowed to try and convince them to accept treatment.
(25-02-2014, 05:20 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 07:27 AM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Surely if you can justify a reasonable amount of force to preserve life and prevent harm?

Check your own CPGs mate. Are you allowed to administer medical assistance to someone who refuses it or is it assault or are you only allowed to try and convince them to accept treatment.

That is doing medical interventions. To stop someone jumping into a river is another thing....I don't see a court in the land convicting on that
JUST CALL ME PROBIE