This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Cork Search & Rescue
(25-02-2014, 05:30 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 05:20 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 07:27 AM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Surely if you can justify a reasonable amount of force to preserve life and prevent harm?

Check your own CPGs mate. Are you allowed to administer medical assistance to someone who refuses it or is it assault or are you only allowed to try and convince them to accept treatment.

That is doing medical interventions. To stop someone jumping into a river is another thing....I don't see a court in the land convicting on that

Neither do I but what I am trying to point out that it may be a grey area as to how far you can go to stop someone or how far you have to go to stop someone if you are trained to do so. If you successfully stop them jumping by the use of force but in doing that injure them in some way can they sue you?
Hard to tell without looking at legal precedent and previous case law
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(25-02-2014, 05:41 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Hard to tell without looking at legal precedent and previous case law

Yup and that leads to another question, what type of insurance do these type of groups have?

Public liability, general, are their members insured to put themselves in danger etc etc etc.
(25-02-2014, 05:45 PM)Blackbolt Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 05:41 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Hard to tell without looking at legal precedent and previous case law

Yup and that leads to another question, what type of insurance do these type of groups have?

Public liability, general, are their members insured to put themselves in danger etc etc etc.

I would say very little

If any
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
mmm and you have just done the same, as i keep saying regardless of smoke and fire its very easy for mud to be slung and i have first hand knowledge of this as i was the recipient of same.

What do people say about hearsay ............ dont believe all you hear and half of what you do hear, unless its from the horses mouth take it with a pinch of salt, i have learned this lesson the hard way.
I'm only asking the question. Why are they taking legal action against people? Did the same group of people wake up of a morning and decide to fling mud or is there any truth behind it??

And believe me buddy, I know only too well about hearsay.......it's amazing what people can be made believe without even meeting the person.

Back to the point, is there any truth in these rumours or not?
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(25-02-2014, 11:23 PM)MRX Wrote: I'm only asking the question. Why are they taking legal action against people? Did the same group of people wake up of a morning and decide to fling mud or is there any truth behind it??

And believe me buddy, I know only too well about hearsay.......it's amazing what people can be made believe without even meeting the person.

Back to the point, is there any truth in these rumours or not?

I have no idea m8 and i dont want to speculate on it, i just seen they were a new group and decided to let the gang here know that's all, what transpired who knows except the people involved i suppose.

yes it is amazing what people will believe without having the facts it has ruined many a person and peoples lives marriages, jobs thats why i say its easy to throw mud from a keyboard, people should watch what they are doing and not others.
(26-02-2014, 12:25 AM)Courier1 Wrote: I have no idea m8 and i dont want to speculate on it, i just seen they were a new group and decided to let the gang here know that's all, what transpired who knows except the people involved i suppose.

yes it is amazing what people will believe without having the facts it has ruined many a person and peoples lives marriages, jobs thats why i say its easy to throw mud from a keyboard, people should watch what they are doing and not others.

Appreciate that you were just trying to highlight what appears to be a group setting up and supplying a great community service. But why would the people setting it up not join already established groups who provide the same or why not manage to keep one going instead of being on no3?

Nobody is slinging mud from a keyboard, but people are entitled to ask questions based on what they've heard especially if they're considering joining.

Reputation in the search and rescue field is everything and unfortunately when a family is in the hell of having a family member missing, they'll take help from anyone without knowing the right questions to ask.

Live and let live, yep, I'm all for it, but I also believe in 'eyes wide open' 22
(26-02-2014, 10:53 AM)carav Wrote: Appreciate that you were just trying to highlight what appears to be a group setting up and supplying a great community service. But why would the people setting it up not join already established groups who provide the same or why not manage to keep one going instead of being on no3?

Same reasons for many groups that start off together its politics in all groups people take up and for what ever reason a split emanates, its life we move forward and try and all work together, or not in many cases.
Are these crowd any association with Cork river Rescue? Or do they still operate? I remember reading bout them while go on another forum, where some people weren't very complimentary about their endeavors.

Fair play to anyone who gets involved in this kind of work, but their really should be more control over these voluntary orgs, re: training, insurance etc. Also are any members, required to be garda vetted?
(27-02-2014, 03:52 AM)Shakin Wrote: Are these crowd any association with Cork river Rescue? Or do they still operate? I remember reading bout them while go on another forum, where some people weren't very complimentary about their endeavours

Yep... And no they don't
Searching for weeks for someones family member or friend is an excellent service to offer and the subsequent recovery allows people have closure and grieve.

However, I am still not convienced about the suicide prevention element. What level of training do they have? Especially in relation to dealing with a person in a crisis situation, it's not as simple as "restraining them" (which legally cannot be done). Suicide prevention starts well before the person gets to this crisis stage, with education & awareness of mental health issues.

Unfortuantely, I haven't heard the best reports about some of these groups. Everyone walking across the bridge at midnight on a Sat night is seen as a potential intervention!
I've been having a look again at this service, and it seems that he has very little public support, and by that I mean LOCAL public support. It seems the only people who are entertaining him are out of the country or otherwise far removed from the locality.

Normally a service like this run on a voluntary basis would have a huge local following.
what, where , when , how, was it when I had no hinterweb?

I is old ya know
(07-03-2014, 11:05 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: what, where , when , how, was it when I had no hinterweb?

I is old ya know

Well Russia is Sabre rattling again, dole queues are huge, the economy is screwed, more redundancies..... dont worry BB, its the 1980's again (except the music is s**te) 148
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
(07-03-2014, 11:20 PM)LPP Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 11:05 PM)Blackbolt Wrote: what, where , when , how, was it when I had no hinterweb?

I is old ya know

Well Russia is Sabre rattling again, dole queues are huge, the economy is screwed, more redundancies..... dont worry BB, its the 1980's again (except the music is s**te) 148

The 80s again, yeehaaaa, does that mean I can break my white suit and pink shirt out of mothballs, disco is making a comeback, and my hair is dark again 148148148
It is my understanding that the person setting up Cork Search and rescue also set up Cork city river rescue and Blackrock rescue.

I don't know the full story behind the person in question and don't wish to speculate. but anybody who wishes to get involved in the organisation , i would suggest you do some research into it and decide for yourself if it is a worthwhile and legitimate cause.

Cork City is very well covered (luckily) for SAR assets (CFB, RNLI, Coastguard) and for search and recovery with ( Coastguard, Mallow SAR, cork Missing per, Civil Defence)

While i don't disagree that Vol organisations are great in the right circumstances, i feel that after 2 previous attempts to set up , I'm not sure that a 3rd attempt will be any different.
If you log onto the Facebook page his biggest supporter is an ES guy in Australia who obviously hasn't heard what the rest of us have heard.

He seems to be very fond of threatening people with solicitors too.

I asked a couple of pretty innocent questions and now I'm banned from posting anymore. 136
Yes I saw that about the Australian, what worries me is the plan to go there on a fact finding mission..... Who will pay for it? is it the best use of donations? if in fact the organisation would pay for the trip. The whole thing doesn't sit right with me, that's the one reason I posted the above. Vol orgs like cork missing person and mallow SAR provide an invaluable service....and I think it's great for anyone to put in the time and effort to set up a group to provide a well needed service.... But I don't see that there is such a need in Cork city at the moment.
What facts could you find out in Australia that you couldn't find out here? How to utilise Kangaroos in your search?