This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Northern Ireland
Hello,

Just wondering if it's possible to serve in the Garda Reserve if I live in Northern Ireland?

I only live about 5 minutes from the Irish border.
(28-02-2014, 04:12 AM)MMC47 Wrote: Hello,

Just wondering if it's possible to serve in the Garda Reserve if I live in Northern Ireland?

I only live about 5 minutes from the Irish border.

Yes I believe so, there was a guy in my intake for Northern Ireland. He was more then 5mins from the border too.
Yes psych is correct, there are both Reserve & Regular members who live North of the boarder and serve here, some RDF also I think.

In any case, the Reserve office in the Depot will be able to confirm it for you (00353) 1 6660000 and ask to be put through to the Garda Reserve Office
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
Where you could have difficulties though is bringing your uniform home to wash it
(28-02-2014, 11:02 AM)thehawk Wrote: Where you could have difficulties though is bringing your uniform home to wash it

Why? As said there are full timers living over the border.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Can't take your uniform outside of the state with permission from the top.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.
Ok thats great thanks!

Submitted my application today!
(28-02-2014, 01:33 PM)whitewater Wrote: Can't take your uniform outside of the state with permission from the top.

But if you are living up there then they'd have to allow you. Or am I being naive?
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
They would tell you to use a local dry cleaner
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
On another note, since Gardai are barred from serving in the Reserve Defence Forces, are Northern Ireland Gardai ( that commute to the ROI), also barred from being in NI's Territorial Army?

Just a thought.
Better to have a Taser and not need it, than need a Taser and not have it.
I would think so...
Must dig it up in the garda guide. If there was a loophole im sure they Would be quick to close it down. I imagine being a Garda and TA would be in the realms of possibility these days so maybe the Code was updated to include a general barring from any military service.

Here is another one though. Are Gardai subject to code in different jurisdictions? eg crossing the imaginary line on the M1 means you are no longer subject to the prohibited spare time activities and the like. Since these activities are normally to do with bodies that Gardai issue licences for like Taxis and bouncers. Doorwork in north and Garda in South? I know that would be lethal but purely theoretical.

Better to have a Taser and not need it, than need a Taser and not have it.
Probably but hard to catch
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.