This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Any Garda have colour deficiency?
So I have just realised that the Garda ask for "normal" colour vision.

I have a mild form of colour blindness but this would cause me to fail the Ishihara test at a medical.

I contacted the Garda Reserve recruitment and they said being colour blind alone is not a reason for failure but I may be restricted in the duties I can perform.

Does anyone in the Garda have this and can they explain what restrictions they have?

I'm just a bit confused because the PSNI use a different test which I can pass because it's very mild, but I would not be able to pass the Garda one as they have the Ishihara.
Normally I believe it only affects driving duties, which would effect reserve members.
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(28-02-2014, 09:07 PM)vidar Wrote: Normally I believe it only affects driving duties, which would effect reserve members.

Do you know exactly what it prevents you from doing?

I am applying to the Garda reserve and would like to know what effect it will have before going through the whole process. I can't seem to get a list of restrictions anywhere.

Thanks
No not for definite but I asked and reserves do get tested

Ring the reserve office in the depot and check would be my advice
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
I'm color deficient and still got into the GR. You can still get into the full time with a color deficiency also but you cant drive official vehicles.
(04-03-2014, 12:35 AM)Karma Police Wrote: I'm color deficient and still got into the GR. You can still get into the full time with a color deficiency also but you cant drive official vehicles.

Thanks for the response. I got a reply from the recruitment office and they said that if I fail the ishihara test I'll be given the City University test.

Just curious, did you pass the City University one or did you fail both?

Thanks
(04-03-2014, 03:12 AM)MMC47 Wrote: Thanks for the response. I got a reply from the recruitment office and they said that if I fail the ishihara test I'll be given the City University test.

Just curious, did you pass the City University one or did you fail both?

Thanks

I had to google it just there to see what it was. I never had to do that test so must be a new thing.