This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Mobile phone while driving
From what I can see it's getting worse. This morning on the motorcycle counted 15 people either on the phone or texting and that was in a 25 minute ride in and not counting the trip home.

Then in the car tonight on the same run I seen 11 on the way in and back.

It's my pet peeve, as 9 times out of ten if someone makes a stupid maneuver or fails to indicate its because they are pri€king about on a mobile.

Are you noticing a rise in this offense?
iv actually noticed a drop in the last few months
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Ya think it is actually getting worse. just back from dropping the misses to work and seen 10 people on the phone, more worringly was two of them were artic drivers
Social media and instant messaging are a major blame factor
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
What amazes me is the amount of people driving card worth €40k but have no Bluetooth.
Stupid people.
(22-03-2014, 08:45 PM)Brigade Wrote: What amazes me is the amount of people driving card worth €40k but have no Bluetooth.
Stupid people.

I agree! A very expensive car and they won't spend a few yo-yos on a kit. Or someone holding the phone about 5 inches from their mouth and talking into it, as if that's supposed to fool anyone. 136
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(21-03-2014, 02:53 AM)Psychcop Wrote: From what I can see it's getting worse. This morning on the motorcycle counted 15 people either on the phone or texting and that was in a 25 minute ride in and not counting the trip home.

Then in the car tonight on the same run I seen 11 on the way in and back.

It's my pet peeve, as 9 times out of ten if someone makes a stupid maneuver or fails to indicate its because they are pri€king about on a mobile.

Are you noticing a rise in this offense?

I've noticed this also in my own car... Mobile phone offences more obvious!

The cause of this is:

Lack of Garda resources equals lack of Garda patrols. The public know this and they take the chance of using their phone. Sure when are they gonna get stopped! 21

For instance, I drove from Dublin to Cork about two weekends ago and I didn't meet one Garda car or checkpoint on the road.

Lack of Garda visibility means increase in offences. 21
I'd agree, people seem to have realised the chances of being caught are very low, so they are prepared to take the risk.
There was a conference last week about distractions while driving.
Unfortunately it got no publicity because a minister decided to use the event for their own publicity.
Thousands of euro wasted !
(26-03-2014, 09:47 AM)columbo Wrote: There was a conference last week about distractions while driving.
Unfortunately it got no publicity because a minister decided to use the event for their own publicity.
Thousands of euro wasted !

You could say people got distracted...
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf