This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Different uniforms for reserves
Whats your views on this http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and...-1.1764268

Personally I think its a prime example of a term used in sociology called "Othering"
I think it has merit (the idea I haven't read the article) but when i say different I mean a different colour epaulette only the rest still the same.

Reason being that for major events a supervisor can see how many regular / reserve they have at a glance.

HSE do this already got various medical grades
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
"Mr Golden said police in other jurisdictions ensure their reserve officers wear a distinctive epaulette cover or a rocker panel on the chest or even a distinct title on the back of their fluorescent jackets to clearly identify them to their colleagues and members of the public".

"Brian O’Dea of AGSI’s national executive backed the motion, pointing out that in the UK, members of the counterpart of the Garda Reserve, the Special Constables wear a uniform that is very different from the regular force".

Don't know where their getting this from as any specials I've seen in the UK wear the same uniform as the regular. The only difference depending on what force is the designation SC on the epaulette which is similar to the GR on the AGS version.

As Vidar says the NAS adopted coloured epaulettes to denote medical qualifications which haven't impressed many of us in the service & some managers still can't tell the difference.
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(30-04-2014, 09:37 PM)vidar Wrote: I think it has merit (the idea I haven't read the article) but when i say different I mean a different colour epaulette only the rest still the same.

Reason being that for major events a supervisor can see how many regular / reserve they have at a glance.

HSE do this already got various medical grades

As do OMAC
Red Doctor
Blue nurse
Green AP or paramedic.

Think theyre should be one for emt but hey since when do they ask the shop floor staff about uniforms.
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
It had been in the pipeline initially but was stopped.
Could never understand that with the vols:

OMAI:

Red Doctor
Blue nurse
Green AP or paramedic.

SJAI:

Red = Doctor
Grey = Nurse
Green = EMT/Para/AP

& to make it worse there is no identifying slides on any hi vis gear belonging to SJAI

No idea as to IRC or CD
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(30-04-2014, 09:42 PM)irish medic Wrote: "Mr Golden said police in other jurisdictions ensure their reserve officers wear a distinctive epaulette cover or a rocker panel on the chest or even a distinct title on the back of their fluorescent jackets to clearly identify them to their colleagues and members of the public".

"Brian O’Dea of AGSI’s national executive backed the motion, pointing out that in the UK, members of the counterpart of the Garda Reserve, the Special Constables wear a uniform that is very different from the regular force".

Don't know where their getting this from as any specials I've seen in the UK wear the same uniform as the regular. The only difference depending on what force is the designation SC on the epaulette which is similar to the GR on the AGS version.

As Vidar says the NAS adopted coloured epaulettes to denote medical qualifications which haven't impressed many of us in the service & some managers still can't tell the difference.
I'd say that Mr O'Dea got confused between Specials and PCSOs.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Its an effective system. Has its downfall....1 set of epaulettes per member means it should always be on outside layer. Mine usually on my hivis. So have blank shoulders when I take it off indoors.

Same with badge pocket. Have emt on back of hivis...nothing when it's off.....bar the phecc licence on my belt which isn't easily visible from a distance.

What im saying is. It works to an extent. But not perfectly
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(30-04-2014, 09:58 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Its an effective system. Has its downfall....1 set of epaulettes per member means it should always be on outside layer. Mine usually on my hivis. So have blank shoulders when I take it off indoors.

Same with badge pocket. Have emt on back of hivis...nothing when it's off.....bar the phecc licence on my belt which isn't easily visible from a distance.

simple answer = source myself a second pair of epaulettes.
1 on shirt + 1 on outer layer 21
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
In the UK they have full powers.

Doing this here without beefing up powers would be to make issues worse.

Not only for the reserves but the fulltimers.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(30-04-2014, 10:12 PM)amboman bobby Wrote:
(30-04-2014, 09:58 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Its an effective system. Has its downfall....1 set of epaulettes per member means it should always be on outside layer. Mine usually on my hivis. So have blank shoulders when I take it off indoors.

simple answer = source myself a second pair of epaulettes.
1 on shirt + 1 on outer layer 21

Easier to do with grey than blue
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
True + when u ain't got a rank
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(30-04-2014, 10:14 PM)Administrator Wrote: In the UK they have full powers.

Doing this here without beefing up powers would be to make issues worse.

Not only for the reserves but the fulltimers.

Then either beef up the powers or scrap the reserve
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
I think we all agree on that.

Except the minister and the commissioner
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(30-04-2014, 09:58 PM)Tactimule Wrote:
(30-04-2014, 09:42 PM)irish medic Wrote: "Mr Golden said police in other jurisdictions ensure their reserve officers wear a distinctive epaulette cover or a rocker panel on the chest or even a distinct title on the back of their fluorescent jackets to clearly identify them to their colleagues and members of the public".

I'd say that Mr O'Dea got confused between Specials and PCSOs.

I think he did....
The original recruits were to wear a light blue band on the operational cap. The 'band' was a piece of ribbon sourced close to the College and looked as if it hand been hand sowed by the local seamstress in a hurry.

The blue band was attached to the caps by a few stitches, and after a few hours of debate the Super explained that a mistake had been made and to remove the bands from the caps. The caps at that stage had not actually been worn, but just tried on for size.

That's the last was seen or heard of the bands. The recruits at the time were told that senior officers had expressed concern that the blue bands may make the brand new addition to the force targets.

With regards to supervisors being able to spot the difference between reserve/full time members at a distance ! That's an answer for the locker room.

The idea of different shoulder colours/uniform difference fine. 
No problem but with extra powers. Or scrap it altogether.
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
(30-04-2014, 09:54 PM)irish medic Wrote: Could never understand that with the vols:

OMAI:

Red Doctor
Blue nurse
Green AP or paramedic.

SJAI:

Red = Doctor
Grey = Nurse
Green = EMT/Para/AP

& to make it worse there is no identifying slides on any hi vis gear belonging to SJAI

No idea as to IRC or CD

CD have no difference for grades of first aid. Just a case of ask or assume.
They missed the opportunity last year when the changed the epaulets.

But sure they aren't a first aid organisation, so prob didn't think it was required.
Stickers on helmets when they go to competitions is as good as it gets!
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
(01-05-2014, 10:48 AM)Command Support Wrote: Stickers on helmets when they go to competitions is as good as it gets!

Dublin lot have the badges on back of their equipment vests
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(01-05-2014, 11:38 AM)EMTeabreak Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 10:48 AM)Command Support Wrote: Stickers on helmets when they go to competitions is as good as it gets!

Dublin lot have the badges on back of their equipment vests

Possibly, but that's all unofficial stuff that by the letter of the "law" they shouldnt be using