This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Different uniforms for reserves
(01-05-2014, 08:06 AM)alwaysone Wrote: With regards to supervisors being able to spot the difference between reserve/full time members at a distance ! That's an answer for the locker room.

As the posts originate on the open forum why should the answer be hidden from view ?? Its either going to be debated or should be removed, that's my tuppence worth on this.
I think he means that he cannot make the reply in the public thread that he would like to for privacy reasons and due to internal job policy, this is one of the reasons we have the locker room and the whole verification process
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Seems like a tactic under the guise of "operational reasons" to make the reserve stand out as different and thus making it easer to pick on as well as distance them self from.

All seems very childish to me.
(03-05-2014, 02:56 PM)Psychcop Wrote: Seems like a tactic under the guise of "operational reasons" to make the reserve stand out as different and thus making it easer to pick on as well as distance them self from.

Who is going to use these to pick on reserves? Yes its to make reserves stand out thats what is been said, just like the way we make stundet guards AND student reserves wear blue tabs so they stand out!
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
The same ones the that are always calling for it to be scraped.

Yes it's been said but don't buy the reasons they have given.

It's doesn't matter anyways as it's not going to happen.
I have said it once and I will.say it again. Reserves should ne given powers and accepted into the fold fully BUT in return need to be cobscience of when their deployment hits guys ot.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(03-05-2014, 04:06 PM)Administrator Wrote: I have said it once and I will.say it again. Reserves should ne given powers and accepted into the fold fully BUT in return need to be cobscience of when their deployment hits guys ot.

100%.....it's up to full time and reserves to work together on that one.
This post has been repped by: Courier1 (3),

(03-05-2014, 02:56 PM)Psychcop Wrote: Seems like a tactic under the guise of "operational reasons" to make the reserve stand out as different and thus making it easer to pick on as well as distance them self from.

Please dont take this as an attack Psychocp,

But reserves are different, you don't have the same training, knowledge of law and police procedures or the experience of dealing with incidents that full time Gardai do, you also don't have the same powers.

This isn't me trying to put you or any other reserve down it's just fact. When I was in the RDF I didn't for a second think I was the equal in soldiering of someone in the PDF it was a questioning of training.

On this issue I believe the uniforms should remain as they are, with only the shoulder no.s differentiating Reserves.

I think reserves make a fantastic contribution to society by by giving up their free time to make their communities safer. However they are being let down by management due to their lack of training and lack of powers. A reserve should be able to arrest and follow that all the way through to prosecution. I hope that will come to fruition soon.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
(03-05-2014, 05:10 PM)Tactimule Wrote:

Please dont take this as an attack Psychocp,

But reserves are different, you don't have the same training, knowledge of law and police procedures or the experience of dealing with incidents that full time Gardai do, you also don't have the same powers.

This isn't me trying to put you or any other reserve down it's just fact. When I was in the RDF I didn't for a second think I was the equal in soldiering of someone in the PDF it was a questioning of training.

On this issue I believe the uniforms should remain as they are, with only the shoulder no.s differentiating Reserves.

I think reserves make a fantastic contribution to society by by giving up their free time to make their communities safer. However they are being let down by management due to their lack of training and lack of powers. A reserve should be able to arrest and follow that all the way through to prosecution. I hope that will come to fruition soon.

I wouldn't take that as an attack at all. It's all common sense, we're unpaid part time members of a police force we'r not going to be up to scratch with everything you listed as we didn't get trained in it and we don't have the experience that comes with doing the job full time.

I agree with everything you said there.

I just don't feel changing the uniform would achieve anything.

I couldn't be the only one that has seen violent drunks and undesirables zero in on the blue epaulets of student Garda and student reserve Garda ?

When I said they shouldn't be making us stand out as different I didn't mean in the context of we're equal.

I meant it the context as we're in the same organisation we should have the same uniform. We already have our GR on our epaulets.
(02-05-2014, 10:45 PM)Courier1 Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 08:06 AM)alwaysone Wrote: With regards to supervisors being able to spot the difference between reserve/full time members at a distance ! That's an answer for the locker room.

As the posts originate on the open forum why should the answer be hidden from view ?? Its either going to be debated or should be removed, that's my tuppence worth on this.

Yea, apologies Courier, it's just I wasn't comfortable posting in the public forum.
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
(04-05-2014, 12:06 PM)alwaysone Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 10:45 PM)Courier1 Wrote:

Yea, apologies Courier, it's just I wasn't comfortable posting in the public forum.

No you are right its very hard to make a judgement on this or a correct answer as its in the open forum, i also have an idea of your reply 19 which is also correct 21
This post has been repped by: alwaysone (5),

Great, so when a Goucher..I hope I spelt that right..see s the reserve uniform..he ll go for the reserve..easy target..however if a group of same individuals see two or three guards, they'll assume that they are all members, which in fact they are, reserve and fulltimers...

One can imagine the abuse back in the station when said individual is been processed.."What the F@ck are you looking at , you re only a reserve...I
Gouger is my spelling and personally I agree, makes reserves a needless target.

Would it still be making you a target if you had full powers though?
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
(05-05-2014, 01:02 PM)Administrator Wrote: Gouger is my spelling and personally I agree, makes reserves a needless target.

Would it still be making you a target if you had full powers though?

Regardless of powers you are always going to be a target once you don the uniform, the thing is if they change the uniform for a reserve, reserve then becomes the target even more so, personally i cant see this happening for many reasons, as for the powers that just give a bit more independence by not having to relying on the FT member to (babysit) maybe this is the wrong word to use, but in essences without some sort of powers this is what is happening, if said pal is giving a reserve stick or what ever, the reserve shuts up and lets the FT deal with it as they cant, if the roll out of the PO powers came to being this would no longer be a problem and allowing for follow thru from start to finish, this would give better credibility to the reserve member.
(03-05-2014, 04:06 PM)Administrator Wrote: I have said it once and I will.say it again. Reserves should ne given powers and accepted into the fold fully BUT in return need to be cobscience of when their deployment hits guys ot.

+1 19
The last thing, I would want to do ..is take overtime away from a fulltime member...

I think most reserves who turn up regularly enough, and don't necessarily live there , want to do the role as successfully as possible..if that means been able to have PO Powers, and been able to fully carry out a charge ..then they will be an asset to the units that's on..

Reserves , without powers, are a bit like hurlers, without hurls..all dressed up, but , of some use, but nit really as useful as they could be..
To the moaners and whingers, get over it. There are volunteers wearing the uniform, so what. It is accepted practice in almost every other jurisdiction.

I personally think it is a joke the GR do not have full Police powers. Now they want to make them a target for ridicule and abuse by identifying them as reservists? What a load of crap.

I wouldn't want to do this shit for free, but if I did I would not want to be singled out as a volunteer. The wonderful public are not a very understanding or forgiving bunch.
This post has been repped by: tyler (2),