This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Community cardiac first responder schemes
(22-12-2014, 05:53 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: Omac are also running 999 calls in the west as standard along with CFR groups in both the west and south east to great success 19

Where?
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Where to which ?
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
To where are OMAC running 999 calls in the west and south east..... I assume tramore?
(22-12-2014, 05:53 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: Omac are also running 999 calls in the west as standard along with CFR groups in both the west and south east to great success 19

What service level agreement do they have with NAS? It's one thing being a CFR group, responding to 999 calls is totally different and no doubt could cause issues!
(22-12-2014, 06:30 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: Where to which ?

Where are the OMAC running 999 calls? Where in the West?

I have to believe your information is wrong Bobby and you have made a boobie.

Tramore have a car and use it for their CFR scheme which isn't quite the same as your statement above.
999 calls is mostly Louisbourgh in Mayo, It's the HSE who dispatches them unsure of what the initial agreement was with Hse management will try find out 19 tramore provides a CFR car for response to cardiac calls as a cfr group
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Now I will admit I could have been told a massive lie and it is just a cfr programe they run but from what I have been told and seen it seemed more like the 999 response I was told about il find out and see :/
Isn't d'internet great!
From the Killeen & Louisburgh Parish notes, July 2012;

Ambulance; The Order of Malta volunteers provide an invaluable service to Louisburgh and the surrounding district with their emergency ambulance service. The Parish is proud to have provided the site for their ambulance base in Louisburgh at the Pastoral Centre. If you are parking in the Pastoral Centre always ensure that the Ambulance base is not in any way restricted by your car and that the ambulance can make a swift exit in case of an emergency call. Likewise if parking on the road adjacent to the centre or in the region of the junction beside the Garda Station and Church ensure that you leave enough room so the ambulance can get quickly to the main road.
A few years ago there was many systems in place like that but I am not sure any of them are still in full time operation.
Bobby is right, OMAC do acute calls in West Mayo, out of Louisburgh. They're in Castlebar ED most days. Rang ambulance control one day when doing base for mounrain rescue. Was told no wagons available and to ring OMAC. Told controller that if he didn't have the resources then he could ring OMAC. Give them the statistic.
Email: echo59@esforum.org            PGP key: AF7C8C3B
I will say that it is the only unit who does it in all of Ireland and Northern Ireland
All credit to OMAC.... But at the risk of sounding like a crusty old union head.... They are robbing our jobs! In a more rational mind, I'll say that as we all know the west is under resourced in NAS as was seen by hiqa. My fear is that there is an obvious need for an ambulance in this area but it isn't picked up because OMAC have it covered and by the sounds of it self dispatch by the community so there may not be a accurate record of call volume in the area...... On an aside, what is the clinical level of the crew? that said I'm all for community volunteers providing a service, but it shouldn't be to replace a service. If there is a need for an ambulance there, the community should be fighting for a resource.... The more communities do that, the better!
I'm a union head CG STEVE so I'm with you on your train of thought. 

But on that note.....aren't CFR groups doing the same thing? Providing the HSE with a cushion to meet HIQA times 
“The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.”
― Albert Einstein
(23-12-2014, 11:39 AM)Hooch Wrote: I'm a union head CG STEVE so I'm with you on your train of thought. 

But on that note.....aren't CFR groups doing the same thing? Providing the HSE with a cushion to meet HIQA times 

Yes but they don't transport and do the main job we do. They are deployed to be a 1st response and at scene. Kinda akin to security at some events can stop people but still need the AGS

On the point of the control using the OMAC, they only do so if no other resources available. Crewing level as listed by PHECC years ago should be minimum paramedic level, any word back yet what level they have?
Currently looking into it will get back to you
(23-12-2014, 12:27 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote:
(23-12-2014, 11:39 AM)Hooch Wrote: I'm a union head CG STEVE so I'm with you on your train of thought. 

Yes but they don't transport and do the main job we do. They are deployed to be a 1st response and at scene. Kinda akin to security at some events can stop people but still need the AGS

On the point of the control using the OMAC, they only do so if no other resources available. Crewing level as listed by PHECC years ago should be minimum paramedic level, any word back yet what level they have?
I'm ok with CFR groups, that is of benefit to the patient (as is the OMAC set up) but as AP said, the CFR isn't transporting or providing an ambulance service. CFR is just to get the patient the basic care they need until an ambulance arrives and can transfer and or treat the patient etc.

I think they are great if they are developed correctly! At the moment the model of development (if there is one, which I doubt) is just let them pop up where ever with no real guidance or oversight. So this has resulted in a situation where you have some areas like wicklow which has loads of CFR cover and then other areas like west cork which have one or two over the whole area. Or cork city where you have two in one area.....

There needs to be some research done as to what is available at the moment and where are the gaps. Then NAS should go off and recruit volunteers and provide equipment and training and clinical governance. Then link them into the CAD system. So that there is a national coverage to respond to cardiac arrests etc in a suitable time with an available ambulance able to arrive within 19 mins for ALS and or transport.

The NAS needs to be the driver in the CFR movement, not dragged along behind it like a mouldy rag doll!
(23-12-2014, 01:51 AM)echo59 Wrote: Bobby is right, OMAC do acute calls in West Mayo, out of Louisburgh. They're in Castlebar ED most days.

Is this just an ad hoc arrangement organised locally? How can they provide an ambulance 24/7, 365 staffed by volunteers.

I agree with other posters, CFR schemes need to have proper guidance and clinical oversight. Otherwise you get a mix of genuine people wanting to help in their community and those who see it as a reason to have blue lights on cars/bicycles "savin' lives" brigade.

The ideal place for NAS to start would be with the vols, as they have governance and command structures, training, equipment and clinical oversight.
As far as I'm aware it is NAS driving the new CFR schemes alongside OMAC for the South East.
CFR scheme harms nobody, but I understand the concnerns when voluntaries start a full emergency ambulance service, which to be fair is rare.
They will be driving it more and more in the future as it's part of the development plan and a key area.
Needs to be centrally controlled with regional co-ordinators from the NAS to ensure standards for training and responding
Hopefully the one life project will make a huge impact on how we deal with cardiac arrest from the procedure, to the equipment, to the implementation and dispatch of community responders. There has been a push recently down here by management to recruit off duty responders