This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Community cardiac first responder schemes
@AP, an ambulance officer with the same name as the man who sells carpets 19
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
(25-12-2014, 02:21 AM)irish medic Wrote: @AP, an ambulance officer with the same name as the man who sells carpets 19

Not an officer, dresses like an officer but look at his shoulders next time, just 2 pips. Was an EMC in a control that closed and his reassignment was to coordinate the CFR groups
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Got to love that..... Just put into a job! There should be one for each region, not just one nationally!
(25-12-2014, 10:40 AM)coastguardsteve Wrote: Got to love that..... Just put into a job! There should be one for each region, not just one nationally!

Won't say too much but do like your idea of regional coordinators. But if done right in years to come the CFR schemes will be plentiful and too much for one in each region. But at present there needs to be more
They had one here but it was discontinued after a couple of years due to funding. Definitely a scope for a role! But no money is a problem
All the Wicklow, Kildare and Meath groups are self funded, the NAS at one provided bags but not sure they do that anymore

Interesting to see ECRR giving out defibs to many paramedics for off duty response. Are they providing their mobile number and times they are available?
As far as I know they are signed up to the off duty responder scheme so get a text when there is a call with in 10 k of their home. There has been a big push for off duty Responders here the last month or so. They are also involved in ECRR.... Mostly AP's with a couple of Paramedics.
Is it an ECRR campaign mainly?

Is the NAS only involved in the activation of them?
The off duty responder is a NAS campaign, forms available from your ORM if you fancy it.... They only activate you... No support with regards to equipment.... That's where ECRR stepped in and provided a defib to the few lads involved.... It's a must as far as I'm concerned... No point going somewhere without a defib! If they won't issue them personally, then perhaps install one in the local area for the whole community......
Starting CPR is vital but as you say though would be much nicer with a defib

As for installing one in a local area, cost is the issue, that's where it is nice to see the ECRR sponsor the lads the units
Definitely CPR slows the stopwatch. it's great that ECRR have sponsored the defibs! I just think for NAS to get coverage required using CFRs then there will need to be a structured approach with cash behind it to properly embed the CFR schemes into communities in Ireland. The likes of Scotland actively recruit, train and equip their CFR schemes.
Cough, fire service, cough.
Reckon off duty responders will get a good uptake in some places but not everywhere
(25-12-2014, 11:40 PM)civdef Wrote: Cough, fire service, cough.
In an ideal world yes.... But your chiefs don't want to know about it! It's too expensive to turn ye out!! I'd be of the opinion that coastguard would also be useful as there are generally in remote coastal communities and can be alerted via 999 system.

Ap, there was a reasonable up take already, but as with everything you have the nay sayers! I think it certainly has its place..... I personally won't do it as I'm living in the city, my phone would never stop and it's well covered. If I move to the county then I may do it. I'd hate to think that a neighbour was in bother and you could help if only you knew about it!
Cough, Gardai, cough.
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
(28-12-2014, 07:05 PM)Scuba Wrote: Cough, Gardai, cough.

Agree, would be a better model to use the AGS
How could it be a better model???
(28-12-2014, 07:10 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote:
(28-12-2014, 07:05 PM)Scuba Wrote: Cough, Gardai, cough.

Agree, would be a better model to use the AGS

First post here guys so go easy on me I think CFRs are really good idea and need to be rolled out more fire service would be good option but as has been said is expensive (maybe they could work something out on that I don't no)
AGS another good option I think
An why not get vol ambulance services involved in some way they have the equipment and training and are in most local areas just a thought
Think all options have good and bad points main pint is we need more of them
(28-12-2014, 07:39 PM)Brigade Wrote: How could it be a better model???

More Garda stations, on duty and been paid (cost very low) already trained in CPR, can handle an emergency situation and usually have response vehicles
Jeez I don't know about that. Even district HQs in my county are closing for part of the day now. 
And cost is hard to quantify. If they are not doing AGS work then the cost per hour could well be actually higher than the cost of a retained fire service response. With the exception of unpaid volunteers then there is a cost attached to every response. And even with volunteers unless they are all unemployed, then there is a cost to their employers in releasing them for voluntary services.
As regards vehicles, there may be more but I would seriously doubt there are more available vehicles which is a different kettle of fish. The fact that you have more available vehicles does not follow that you have more suitably equipped vehicles either. I would assume by the nature of their task, AGS vehicle tend to be mobile unlike fire service which are generally static unless responding. You would have to equip all AGS vehicles and train all AGS to a suitable standard which, would be great, but unless someone accepts butter vouchers I don't see that happening.
I don't think there is any one service that can deliver the required response for Ireland, but surely to Jaysus it should be obvious that all Blue Light services should be part of an integrated response with nearest suitable agency dispatched regardless of colour of uniform or cost involved.
I read an article this year that was conducted in Israel and published in the US that puts the cost to a society of a single sudden death at $10m.
That would pay for a lot of agencies response.