This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Community cardiac first responder schemes
(28-12-2014, 08:18 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote:
(28-12-2014, 07:39 PM)Brigade Wrote: How could it be a better model???

More Garda stations, on duty and been paid (cost very low) already trained in CPR, can handle an emergency situation and usually have response vehicles

Ha ha ha. We can't even respond to urgent assistance calls quickly in some parts of the country. Some stations don't have enough to crew a car. We should have AED's in cars though, in case we can make it. But why can't FB have it alongside AGS and CFR's? 
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
We got dispatched to one echo and one delta call in the town in the last week due to ambulances not being available. We have a few defibs on walls around the town but we should have them in every Garda vehicle.

And brigade been though those former district HQs are closing during the day they still have cars working out of the building just no lad at the hatch to sign forms
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Many many Garda stations around the country, getting the FB onside will involve who pays for call outs and how many are required to respond each time.
Garda response most likely one or 2 at most going and already been paid, just a case of GRA (union) agreeing for inclusion of duties
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Protecting life is already one of our main roles so should fit in nice under it
Those who can, do.

I disagree,

if i wanted to be a paramedic I would have trained in that field.

There's not enough gardai to deal with crime properly, another task would cripple us.
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
I'm not saying we go to all medical calls but if and only if we are free them we do echo calls. It's grand in Dublin as you are rarely waiting more than 15 minutes before you get a response be it an ambulance or fire truck. That echo call we got send to was because the nearest ambulance was 45+ min away
Those who can, do.

Echo calls only, they are life threatening and time is of the essence
But it won't be if were free, serious calls means priority.

Your talking about giving us a new priority call when we aren't getting to the.priority crime calls as it is.
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
Actually cardiac calls are already priority one on C&C, and I dont know about your place but in my division somebody always answers priority one calls as it is & we already do plenty of bull shit health calls I'd rather do actual health calls.
"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get by in places where its spoken"

Before contacting us please read the help files on site Verification, E-mail and Support. Then when your ready you can E-mail me to apply for Verification or become a Supporter.
In 12 years I have never been dispatched to a cardiac arrest but you have proven my point, we will be dispatched to health calls over crime.

Crime is our business. Dfb don't go and arrest people if were busy and we should not be dispatched to medical / fire calls.

You want to multi-train and task that's fine, merge the services.
CFOs across the country are trying to save money. I only know of one county in the east operating a CFR scheme

CFOs dont want their lads turning out unless they have to. Can't see NAS paying for a FB CFR response

All garda cars should have AEDs and stocked first aid kits. Because you never know when they'll come across something.....but AGS have been hockied with cuts and are struggling in some parts to deal with their own work load

Vols...yea....theyre trained. But I can safely say very few can provide someone on call 24/7...most of us work outside the areas where we're based or are in full time education etc

Theres no one solution to the problem. In an ideal world there'd be a tailor made response most appropriate for the area. So in one town itd be FB next town over itd be a vol CFR group...the big town with a decent sized garda station itd be AGS or whatever....

But thatd cost €€€ and require sense so will never happen
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
But sure every public servant is paid from the same pot. If a CFO doesn't pay for it, then a Chief Super is paying for it or the NAS is paying for it.
We don't live in an economy we live in a society, and the reality is the cost is minimal compared to the benefits . The CFOs and the NAS are engaged in a game of " they're my marbles and YOU can't play with them".
There's very little reason apart from unwillingness to create an integrated multiagency response to life threatening calls.
All comes down to money
(28-12-2014, 11:18 PM)ERU Wrote: In 12 years I have never been dispatched to a cardiac arrest but you have proven my point, we will be dispatched to health calls over crime.

Crime is our business. Dfb don't go and arrest people if were busy and we should not be dispatched to medical / fire calls.

You want to multi-train and task that's fine, merge the services.

Well no not really my point was we already cover our own priority one calls, and we already cover bull shit health and left hospital with a cannula calls so what harm in covering cardiac calls when dfb/hse cant respond. And in half that time i've been dispatched to two cardiac calls. Normally its dfb have a family member on the line who is flipping out or cannot do compressions and the nearest motor and ambo are out on shouts so they'll call C&C.
There's 3 counties as well as Dublin responding to cardiac arrests in the ERCC region- in two of them it's a couple of stations each and in the other it's all stations ( one of whom was involved in a ROSC last week).
As regards the money, it can be done with a bit of common sense and agencies helping each other out.
I dunno your side but North central, north and west have priority 1 calls stacked at busy times.

It all comes back to it not being our job and loading more calls on ags to smokescreen the fact that dfb / NAS are also overstretched.

If there's not enough resources in them then hire more paramedics and leave the police to police because unless your claiming ags is over staffed and over trained where are we getting the extra staff, cars and training? Jesus, i couldn't even get on the first aid refresher course.
(29-12-2014, 12:15 AM)civdef Wrote: There's 3 counties as well as Dublin responding to cardiac arrests in the ERCC region- in two of them it's a couple of stations each and in the other it's all stations ( one of whom was involved in a ROSC last week).
As regards the money, it can be done with a bit of common sense and agencies helping each other out.
I'm only aware of one. And thats the one we dispatch. NAS ring us. We page them

Are others dispatched by NAS?
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(28-12-2014, 11:49 PM)Brigade Wrote: But sure every public servant is paid from the same pot. If a CFO doesn't pay for it, then a Chief Super is paying for it or the NAS is paying for it.
We don't live in an economy we live in a society, and the reality is the cost is minimal compared to the benefits . The CFOs and the NAS are engaged in a game of " they're my marbles and YOU can't play with them".
There's very little reason apart from unwillingness to create an integrated multiagency response to life threatening calls.
A CFO will be the first to say "who will pay for the turn out" they cant bill the patient for it. So theyll want NAS to pay the cost of it
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
They all get automatic sms alerts from NAS direct to the crews. NAS then ring ERCC to set off pagers - which takes a few minutes, the pagers sometimes are going off as crews arrive at the patient's location.
Laois Offaly do arrest calls as far as I know