This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

CPG's 2014
there here look good so far still reading through them 19

the new Phecc FAR And OFA course are good
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
any link?
This is a court of Law young man! Not, a court of Justice.

Disclaimer: The above is the authors personal opinion and does not represent the values, teachings, policy or opinion of my employer do not take it as anything other than the authors opinion.
http://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/Clinical_reso...3467c026e0
And now to wait for medical officer to sign off on each and every one....then for upskilling

I won't be rushing off to study them just yet. At least itll stop the bleedin endless rumours
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Alot of people throwing their toys out of the pram over them :P
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(31-07-2014, 06:43 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: Alot of people throwing their toys out of the pram over them :P

Over which CPG?
the lack of chest ausculation , 12 lead, NPA and Epi IM
Chest auscultation ya no harm, may not know what a sound is but it's not going to hurt the pt, 12 lead do we need it as EMT? Would be nice but I'm gladly they gave us other stuff instead. NPA I'd have liked, epi IM, I'm just happy they got rid if the prescript

Lots of EMTs wanted new fancy things to do so they could forget the basics even more
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
no point in giving us 12 lead not much we can do for a stemi + 3 lead is hard enough to learn
any epi is better then no epi
NPA yeah nice to have but not the end all
Considering we're now using nebulisers, I'd had thought that auscultation would have been included. Ahh well.

12 leads would have been nice but would have taken a long time to learn.

Epi ampules? They're in the 7th schedule so its just a matter for phecc to pull the finger out. If even to reduce the cost burden on vollys carrying expensive auto injectors that go out of date soon.
they were added to the scedule as they were under consideration but were droped at the last hurdle due to the fact you get a double dose in an ampule
Unless you're doing 12 leads on a constant basis it's not worth having them……….even for the full timers it can get confusing, STEMIs fair enough, but then you bring other arrythmias into it, heart blocks, old STEMI, etc etc…….

For a Vol I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Can't see why you can't listen to a chest? Have EMTs Salbutamol? If they have then they should be able to listen for a wheeze…..
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
We have both salbutamol Nebs + inhaler now
Salbuatmol Nebs now MRX. I agree too if we're giving Salbutamol in any form we should be auscultating and it's something we've been shown to while training as well.

I've auscultated in the in the past before administering and after. Auscultation either way wouldn't have changed my actions as there were plenty of other indications for Salbutamol in those cases.
There are some EMT's going mad over the lack of new skills, its as if they thought they'd be walking away as AP's with the new CPGs!
! was even looking for the authorisation to use manual mode of the defibs!
Not too much change at AP level, treat and discharge is on it so thats a plus, and benzylpenicillin for sepsis is welcomed. Tranexamic acid being added and cardioversion for SVT looks good too.
I think some EMT's are forgetting they are EMT's, not APs or god

Main block is that there are loads of EMTs interested in upskilling etc (mainly involved in the vols) but the EMT course cannot go too advanced as its still only a 120 hour course at the end of the day, and open to joe public. Maybe PHECC should consider allowing more skills for people actively using their skills in a voluntary/paid capacity? Without having piles of levels and complications of course which would be a disaster. Alot of EMTs out there who have done the course with no first aid experience and havent gotten much use out of it since, two very distinct categories of EMT in my mind that doesnt hold as true for P's and AP's

I've only heard that this week that an EMT said to a Paramedic that's there no difference between them,148I'm not sure if EMT was a vol or private service. I know it's only a few EMTs with this attitude the rest are bang on.
As said EMT qualification can be done by anyone who put in the work and if not involved with some sort of use of skills or constant training can do crazy stuff. So limiting things like chest auscultation will stop Walters carrying stethoscope around the neck while shopping in Tesco.
God bless, EMS
They do that anyway Flipper :P
(31-07-2014, 08:51 PM)antichrist Wrote: There are some EMT's going mad over the lack of new skills, its as if they thought they'd be walking away as AP's with the new CPGs!
! was even looking for the authorisation to use manual mode of the defibs!
Not too much change at AP level, treat and discharge is on it so thats a plus, and benzylpenicillin for sepsis is welcomed. Tranexamic acid being added and cardioversion for SVT looks good too.

Is this on line, if so links please I could do with a chuckle of some lad trying to justify why he should be allowed preform open heart surgery as an EMT 148
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
here you go Vidar : https://www.facebook.com/groups/57559610...ment_reply