This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

CPG's 2014
(31-07-2014, 10:09 PM)vidar Wrote:
(31-07-2014, 08:51 PM)antichrist Wrote: There are some EMT's going mad over the lack of new skills, its as if they thought they'd be walking away as AP's with the new CPGs!
! was even looking for the authorisation to use manual mode of the defibs!
Not too much change at AP level, treat and discharge is on it so thats a plus, and benzylpenicillin for sepsis is welcomed. Tranexamic acid being added and cardioversion for SVT looks good too.

Is this on line, if so links please I could do with a chuckle of some lad trying to justify why he should be allowed preform open heart surgery as an EMT 148

https://www.facebook.com/groups/575596105825265/
That whole group makes for entertaining reading! I was going to leave at one stage with all the speculation and arguing over Cpgs and that the ERU can put tourniquets on patients when EMTs can't..... The horror! :D
Jesus that's some bullshit!
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
Oh that's was a chuckle, I actually joined to keep up with the i need this talk! Although am actually worried by some of the posters on that.
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
it would take 120 hours for someone to become competent in 12 leads let alone learn all the other stuff involved at emt level :P
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Right so........I'm joining that group. Feel my wrath. 148
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
(31-07-2014, 11:48 PM)MRX Wrote: Right so........I'm joining that group. Feel my wrath. 148

I'm off to make popcorn so 148
Those who can, do.

Some nice new changes and more than I thought. Glad we're actually getting properly upskilled in OMAC, unlike what they did with the vacuume mattress training, or lack of it.

Dont think EMT's will ever need NPA's tbh. In the near 4 years ive been in omac, I've only ever seen an OPA being inserted once, what good is an NPA going to bring over it?

Really glad we got salbutamol nebs, badly needed.
Not sure how I feel about Ibuprofen. How much stronger is it over paracetamol?

I just hope people dont start handing out ibuprofen like smarties to everyone because thats the way paracetamol is treated.
That group is a hoot

Funnily i got no answer to my comment "what do you do off duty when you cannot implement cpg's" I'd say theres a few lifepaks and combat tourniquets bouncing round the boots of emt's cars

As i said the acid test for a new emt joining a vol "treat this simple arm #" and see if they pick up a triangular a box splint or the vaccuum one......or even better ask them to talk to a patient.

Youll see the bad ones getting unstuck quickly

As I've said....and done time and time again if the patient needs more care of skills than you can provide put your ego back in your pocket and while you're at it take out your phone and call for assistance
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Hey, hey don't judge me, vacuum splints are handy things. I'll still use the aul triangulars though.
(01-08-2014, 12:45 AM)sprinter22 Wrote: Dont think EMT's will ever need NPA's tbh. In the near 4 years ive been in omac, I've only ever seen an OPA being inserted once, what good is an NPA going to bring over it?

Remember that not all EMT practice is done with vols, I agree that in that's setting NPA not really needed, In over 10 years in a vol iv only seen an OPA have to be used once, but there have been two or three occasions in work for me where an NPA would have been better to have
Those who can, do.

I better cancel my eBay bids on the "snazzy" Lifepack 300, inflatable splints & the 80 litre EMS Medic pack I was looking at! 2222

But seriously, what were people expecting? That Facebook page was funny to read & then it became scary.....with what some people wanted.

A good EMT is one who is able to talk to the patient, deal with any issues in a competent and professional manner and identify the need for P & AP if needed. It's not all trauma, blues & nee naws.
Remember, there is nothing stopping an EMT educating themselves & undertaking courses to help them better understand patient care and the roles of P & AP. But make sure they can do all the skills on the matrix perfectly first, before wishing to be "EMS rock gods".
(01-08-2014, 08:43 AM)vidar Wrote:
(01-08-2014, 12:45 AM)sprinter22 Wrote: Dont think EMT's will ever need NPA's tbh. In the near 4 years ive been in omac, I've only ever seen an OPA being inserted once, what good is an NPA going to bring over it?

Remember that not all EMT practice is done with vols, I agree that in that's setting NPA not really needed, In over 10 years in a vol iv only seen an OPA have to be used once, but there have been two or three occasions in work for me where an NPA would have been better to have

Good point. I didnt think there was many EMT's left in actual Emergency Ambulances with NAS or DFB, but then I forgot about the Intermediate Care Vehicles responding to calls.
(01-08-2014, 02:11 PM)sprinter22 Wrote:
(01-08-2014, 08:43 AM)vidar Wrote:

Good point. I didnt think there was many EMT's left in actual Emergency Ambulances with NAS or DFB, but then I forgot about the Intermediate Care Vehicles responding to calls.
Thats who the king lt tube was brought in for. Nas didn't want to buy igels and the lt. So lt was added to emt skills for ICOs

Vidar being a mule see if you can grt authorised for the tacical modules. I know its aimed more for army and rsu and eru but if you don't ask you dont get
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
That's my plan EMTeabreak.

Also won't be surprised if not all new CPG stuff is privileged to us, I don't know if I see the vols getting the narcan, do we need it? Cost, shelf live etc?
Those who can, do.

We have narcan for Paramedics in CD. Only one we don't have is midaz. Prob more chance of narcan over epi pens, especially for urban organisations or those covering certain events.
Omac has already said they will be accepting narcan
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
How much is narcan? What is its shelf life?
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
OMAC has the full range of medications for its AP's
We getting it for emt 19