This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

volunteer organizations and EBOLA
so said id start getting the lads in the voluntaries using this section so here we go:

What is your organizations policy on EBOLA ??

The order has brought in a policy to say we cant transport any possible or query cases of ebola / suspicious cases and that we are to leave them to the HSE to transport.
What is your organizations policy ??
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
I don't know what my organisations policy on it is, but I know what my policy is.  "Sorry, I'm not available!"
I'd have a similar policy 
Best policy is not to catch it.
Got to find it first :P
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
(13-10-2014, 07:01 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: The order has brought in a policy to say we cant transport any possible or query cases of ebola / suspicious cases and that we are to leave them to the HSE to transport.

What's the definition of a suspicious case of ebola? Who makes the decision that the patient is a query ebola case?
(14-10-2014, 08:44 AM)Florence_N Wrote:
(13-10-2014, 07:01 PM)amboman bobby Wrote: The order has brought in a policy to say we cant transport any possible or query cases of ebola / suspicious cases and that we are to leave them to the HSE to transport.

What's the definition of a suspicious case of ebola? Who makes the decision that the patient is a query ebola case?

Flu like symptoms with a history of travel to an infected area - i.e flu symptoms with travels to west Africa in the last 3 weeks or something similar. Crew make the decision.

Any queried case and it ain't coming near my ambulance/crew - statutory lads can deal with that, as much as they don't want to either.   
(14-10-2014, 09:02 AM)wex-eire Wrote:

Flu like symptoms with a history of travel to an infected area - i.e flu symptoms with travels to west Africa in the last 3 weeks or something similar. Crew make the decision.

Any queried case and it ain't coming near my ambulance/crew - statutory lads can deal with that, as much as they don't want to either.   

Practically how does this work? You would be mid way through a patient assessment when you realise they "tick" all the Ebola boxes. Also, early Ebola symptoms are similar to Flu symptoms, I fear there could be a lot of "Ebola red mist" around!

Have the OMAC a policy for members who have come in contact with such a patient? GP follow up etc.
(14-10-2014, 09:34 AM)Florence_N Wrote:
(14-10-2014, 09:02 AM)wex-eire Wrote:

Practically how does this work? You would be mid way through a patient assessment when you realise they "tick" all the Ebola boxes. Also, early Ebola symptoms are similar to Flu symptoms, I fear there could be a lot of "Ebola red mist" around!

Have the OMAC a policy for members who have come in contact with such a patient? GP follow up etc.

Practically I've no idea at the moment - Was just a short message from the chief medical officer. I would imagine something more comprehensive will follow as it continues to spread through the western world. I agree about the "Ebola Red Mist" - particularly the time of year we are arriving into - sure it has happened already with the two queried cases in Ireland last month.

Follow up policies etc I'm actually not sure about - must look into that - again something that would probably be covered off in a more comprehensive SOP/Policy. If it were a queried case it would flow up through the channels and there would be debriefs follow up's, GP visits etc I imagine... 
I'd rather see an Ebola red mist instead of having a red mist coming out of my arse……….how many pure BS calls do the Stat providers deal with nationally every week?? 

I have NO intention of getting Ebola, I can assure you of that.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
Treat Ebola patients like hazmat.........if you can see them you are too close